ryoder

"... in the snow, and it was uphill both ways!"

Caption for the last photo:
"Schoolhouse! You were lucky to have a schoolhouse!
We used to go to school in a cave, all twenty-six of us..."
:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Inspiring to see what some children will do to attend school, yet our country is riddled with lazy drppouts turning their backs on a free education. [:/]

A couple problems with your comment:

1) Even the dropouts will get a far better education than most of these kids will ever get,

2) How many teenagers did you see in any of these photos?,

3) Education is not free in the US, in fact, it's an obscene and corrupt waste of taxpayers' money. The chief product of the public school system is an employed teacher, not an educated student.

4) "Dropping out" is highly underrated. The kids who have the most to gain by completing high school are the kids at the extremes of achievement. The kids who want to get into the elite colleges are compelled to stay in high school to earn AP and Honors credit for college admission purposes. The worst students, i.e. the illiterate ones, need to stay for obvious reasons. The bulk of the "average" students would be better off forgoing their last year or two of high school and starting junior college earning full college credit instead of spinning their wheels going nowhere in high school.
What if the Bible had been written by Stephen King?

Caption for the last photo:
"Schoolhouse! You were lucky to have a schoolhouse!
We used to go to school in a cave, all twenty-six of us..."
:D

Every day is an adventure!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The bulk of the "average" students would be better off forgoing their last year or two of high school and starting junior college earning full college credit instead of spinning their wheels going nowhere in high school.

That's exactly what two of my kids did for their junior and senior years. In fact, my daughter working on her masters of engineering is actually listed as a high school dropout.

But as weak as our educational system is, there is an education in there waiting for anyone who will do the work.

That's exactly what two of my kids did for their junior and senior years. In fact, my daughter working on her masters of engineerin....

Similar story...
The straight-A daughter of a guy I worked with had to go to court to try to get her H.S, diploma. They withheld it saying she didn't have enough H.S. math credits and wouldn't count the college courses she had been taking. She had already been accepted at a major college.

In the middle of the process, she said, "Screw this! Shove your diploma. I'm going to M,I.T."

...and she did. Graduated magna cum laude.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Inspiring to see what some children will do to attend school, yet our country is riddled with lazy drppouts turning their backs on a free education. [:/]

A couple problems with your comment:

1) Even the dropouts will get a far better education than most of these kids will ever get,

2) How many teenagers did you see in any of these photos?,

3) Education is not free in the US, in fact, it's an obscene and corrupt waste of taxpayers' money. The chief product of the public school system is an employed teacher, not an educated student.

4) "Dropping out" is highly underrated. The kids who have the most to gain by completing high school are the kids at the extremes of achievement. The kids who want to get into the elite colleges are compelled to stay in high school to earn AP and Honors credit for college admission purposes. The worst students, i.e. the illiterate ones, need to stay for obvious reasons. The bulk of the "average" students would be better off forgoing their last year or two of high school and starting junior college earning full college credit instead of spinning their wheels going nowhere in high school.

A good number of college football players finish high school a semester early and enroll in their colleges the January before their freshman college season starts. It's nice to be able to do that.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The bulk of the "average" students would be better off forgoing their last year or two of high school and starting junior college earning full college credit instead of spinning their wheels going nowhere in high school.

That's exactly what two of my kids did for their junior and senior years. In fact, my daughter working on her masters of engineering is actually listed as a high school dropout.

But as weak as our educational system is, there is an education in there waiting for anyone who will do the work.

When I was at Purdue, I learned there was a program with the local high school which enabled high school kids to take Purdue college courses. So they could graduate high school, then enroll in Purdue with some of their college courses already completed.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In the middle of the process, she said, "Screw this! Shove your diploma. I'm going to M,I.T."

...and she did. Graduated magna cum laude.

:D:D Perfect. B|

That's kind of what my oldest daughter thought, too. She was accepted to a good college and didn't even care to fight for her HS diploma. She was missing a gym credit. One coworker insisted she should get her GED diploma, even though she had an AA degree.:D

My son was Valedictorian (top GPA) of his high school class even though he spent the last two years getting his AA degree. Since the 2 year degree was all he needed for a career in air traffic control, he didn't apply for any scholarships or to any colleges. Would have been interesting to see who would have picked him up and how much they might have offered.