palejo

old sabre

Just wanted to know if there is still someone out here jumping an old Sabre.
I just got my first rig (new wings) and an used Sabre 190 and Tempo 170 with no rides. I've heard a lot about brisky and painful openings but I haven't had one in the 20 jumps I have on it.
Alejandro
B27585

Lots of original Sabres are being jumped regularly, many by people who (gasp) actually prefer them and many by low-timers as a step from student stuff to something sportier. I use a 120 for a wingsuit canopy. They are a good non-elliptical canopy. While not considered high-performance they make up for that in stability and forgiveness. Yes they are noted for fast openings (good for extending wingsuit flight times) but careful packing and, if necessary, slider variation tames that. Do a search, there are a lot of Sabre opening posts. If your 190 opens ok and you are capable with it go fly the shit out of it, you can learn a lot with a Sabre-1 and have fun too.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

You have joined the ranks of the few who know how to pack Sabres.

This brings up a good point.... nothing at all wrong with a sabre, but it would be a good idea to either pack it yourself or choose your packers very carefully (I choose the first option, but then... I AM a packer (-:

I have about 350 jumps on a Sabre 135 (WL 1.2ish)and love it. the hardest openings I ever had were twice early on I dumped immedately out of a track (with my previous canopy I could get away with it, and didn't realize i was making the mistake). neither opening was painful, but uncomfortable would be a good description.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I jump a sabre 150 and have had only one hard opening to date... I had a pocket slider put on just to help it out, but that one hard opening was the 2nd jump with the pocket slider... all I can say, is don't dump in a track...:S
Beyond that, I love it!!
Pack it with care, and fly your openings... as always.