raff

"Top Chef" Skydiving Bit

I happened to catch a recorded version of the show last night. It began with 16 jumpers landing in order to "provide" nylon to the contestants for a designing challenge. When will the skydiving community finally (if ever) realize that the whuffo public is much more impressed with someone landing a 300 sqft canopy accurately and on his/her feet than swooping and coming in on their respective asses or tumbling across the ground? These jumpers looked like a bunch of rookies caught up in the moment. They certainly didn't put a good light on the sport. Embarrassing.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

Ha - I was so confused - Top Chef Canada (or similar) just aired an episode where the contestants had to go skydiving (at Perris) to earn an extra hour to prepare their dishes, then the Skyhawks all came in and helped taste the food.

I didn't remember any of them looking like "rookies" :P

Yep.

It's been a skydiving marathon on Bravo/Lifetime! lol

The Project Runway bit was filmed close to The Ranch (not at the DZ itself), but it was Ranch jumpers mostly. And yeah, there were a few butt landings :ph34r:.

The Top Chef segment was at (for the contestants) and close to (for the cookout and Skyhawk landing) Perris. And, I really loved that they had the contestants chose if they wanted to jump or not to get an advantage. All but 1 did a tandem.

It was also bittersweet to see John at the end of the table... BSBD buddy.

Remster

Duh!:P 'm I bad! The ironic thing is that a couple nights later there WAS a skydiving bit on Top Chef Masters performed by some of the best in the world, the Canadian team. Of course I meant Project Runway. (I'm hooked on both shows. Shows how munch of a life I have.)

If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

(I'm hooked on both shows. Shows how munch of a life I have.)

I love Project Runway too, that's how I knew you had the wrong show! ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

>When will the skydiving community finally (if ever) realize that the whuffo public is
>much more impressed with someone landing a 300 sqft canopy accurately and on
>his/her feet than swooping and coming in on their respective asses or tumbling across
>the ground?

Whuffos are equally impressed with either one. The HP landing/tumbling thing shows how dangerous and xtreme it is. The big canopy landing on target shows how accurate skydivers can be.

The important lesson for new demo jumpers is that they really don't care which one they see - and thus the safer of the two methods is vastly preferred.

I saw another skydiving bit on "Chopped" "Walk on the Whelk Side." It lasted about 5 seconds, filmed with a handcam. :D

I can't imagine being good enough to get on this show and have any time for jumping. :P He was the first chopped. :o That answered that!

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

raff

I happened to catch a recorded version of the show last night. It began with 16 jumpers landing in order to "provide" nylon to the contestants for a designing challenge. When will the skydiving community finally (if ever) realize that the whuffo public is much more impressed with someone landing a 300 sqft canopy accurately and on his/her feet than swooping and coming in on their respective asses or tumbling across the ground? These jumpers looked like a bunch of rookies caught up in the moment. They certainly didn't put a good light on the sport. Embarrassing.

Where's the like button???
You are soooo right!!! I absolutely DO NOT use swoopers for my demos!! My first demo I ever did, we used one, and he had to land out in a neighboring field that was over 300ft long and bitched about not having enough room even then!
People have laughed at my big Falcon 300 for years, but I get the last laugh when I can do demo's that they can't!! B|B|B|