SStewart

Wing suits in water

How many skydive wingsuiters have found themselves in an emergency situation and had to land in a tree fully zipped or partially zipped?
How many skydive wingsuiters have had to land in a powerline partially or fully zipped?
None that I'm -aware- of. However, there are at least four unintentional water landings, at least one of which was a fully zipped entry.

You are entirely invited to fly a wingsuit into a tree and write about it.
You're even more enthusiastically invited to fly your wingsuit into a powerline and write about it.
Please get video. :D:D
Just sayin..;)

Spot I really do applaud your efforts to make wing suit jumps more safe but you have opened up a new can of worms.

No one has landed a wing suit in trees yet. (that I am aware of) But, it will happen. Skydivers are famous for doing things for the first time.

Some dork will land in powerlines wearing a wing suit so that will be something we will have to talk about.

Do you really think water is the only hazard that jumping a wing suit would be, could be an issue?

How many skydivers have drowned wearing a wing suit?
How many have been electrocuted?
How many have been killed by a tree?

Just sayin
Onward and Upward!

Spot I really do applaud your efforts to make wing suit jumps more safe

Is it April 1st?:ph34r:

I think that:
-A wingsuiter going into trees is something we can't accurately test without harming the test "dummy" or spending significant resources on actual test dummies.
I don't believe it will be tremendously different than a non-wingsuit tree landing due to the already-established protocols and the ability to hug a trunk and protect the face while wearing a wingsuit. If anything, a fully presented tail might affect the ability to wrap a leg around a tree. There are several BASE landings in trees with wingsuits. Perhaps those guys have input.

-Wingsuits into powerlines on a skydive? I don't think it'll happen. Maybe. Not likely.
If it does, I dont' believe it's -significantly- different than a regular skydive, even fully zipped in.

That said, I could be entirely wrong about the above. Until the water tests we did, the prevailing wisdom was entirely anecdotal and diametrically opposed to best practices.[:/]

Either way, it's all a good dialog, because it leads to discussions that may make educate and at the least provides food for thought.

oh well at the DZ I used to call home, we had a jumper do a 4-in-1 jump....
started with wingsuiting
then after his AAD fired he did some Solo-CRew
continued by some tree ride
and finished by a river swim :o:o

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

started with wingsuiting

Hate to buy the beer for THAT jump! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There has has has to have been a base wingsuiter land into a tree before, hell on the KL tower there was a guy deploying THROUGH a treetop while fully zipped:D

as mentioned before, there are several wingsuit BASE in trees. What I'd like one of them to tell us is how a wingsuit tree landing differs from a regular tree landing. One guy that has a couple of them tells me it's the same, for the most part. His rig has an LQRS on it, however, so that may make a big difference.

started with wingsuiting

Hate to buy the beer for THAT jump! ;)
who said it was a first ?? :o:o:D:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Spot I really do applaud your efforts to make wing suit jumps more safe but you have opened up a new can of worms.

No one has landed a wing suit in trees yet. (that I am aware of) But, it will happen. Skydivers are famous for doing things for the first time.

Some dork will land in powerlines wearing a wing suit so that will be something we will have to talk about.

Do you really think water is the only hazard that jumping a wing suit would be, could be an issue?

How many skydivers have drowned wearing a wing suit?
How many have been electrocuted?
How many have been killed by a tree?

Just sayin

Who are you? You make it sound like it's DSE's job and duty to educate you on EVERY POSSIBLE outcome. And it seems like you're giving him a stern look for what he has already done. I think you need to rethink your attitude. Would you rather have no information at all?

Edit: Just sayin...
Stay high pull low

How many skydivers have drowned wearing a wing suit? To the best of my knowledge, none. But at least four "very close," as the article points out
How many have been electrocuted? AFAIK, none, and none landing in powerlines.
How many have been killed by a tree? AFAIK, none

Just sayin

At the end of the day, how do you think emergency landings for buildings, trees, or powerlines should be different for a wingsuit vs a non-wingsuit skydiver? To me...the water part is quite obvious. The rest of it isn't.
Looking forward to your input.

How many skydivers have drowned wearing a wing suit? To the best of my knowledge, none. But at least four "very close," as the article points out
How many have been electrocuted? AFAIK, none, and none landing in powerlines.
How many have been killed by a tree? AFAIK, none

Just sayin

At the end of the day, how do you think emergency landings for buildings, trees, or powerlines should be different for a wingsuit vs a non-wingsuit skydiver? To me...the water part is quite obvious. The rest of it isn't.
Looking forward to your input.

DSE,
Concur with your thoughts and I will say thanks for your efforts to spread wingsuit education. The articles you've posted are well written and thought out.

pms