JoeyH

Do you want coffee and beer?

So I have had an idea for a while.... What if a specialty coffee shop/Bar opened on a bigger busy dropzone(Like Arizona or deland, maybe even as small as Z-Hills)? Basically it would serve the best coffee you have ever had by day, and as soon as the beer light comes on start serving beer and liquor. Would have great music playing all the time (Maybe sometimes live at night?) and be an all around cool hangout on the DZ. It would have to do at least 300+ transactions each day it is open, to stay open. What do you think?
Carpe Diem, even if it kills me

JoeyH

So I have had an idea for a while.... What if a specialty coffee shop/Bar opened on a bigger busy dropzone(Like Arizona or deland, maybe even as small as Z-Hills)? Basically it would serve the best coffee you have ever had by day, and as soon as the beer light comes on start serving beer and liquor. Would have great music playing all the time (Maybe sometimes live at night?) and be an all around cool hangout on the DZ. It would have to do at least 300+ transactions each day it is open, to stay open. What do you think?

We have a full bar at Eloy, opened from 10am or so (or at very least by noon). And espresso (when the machine works) at the restaurant side (tho it aint that good).

There was a proper coffee shop at the DZ, but closed after a few attempts due to, I guess, poor business volume.
Remster

Remster

***So I have had an idea for a while.... What if a specialty coffee shop/Bar opened on a bigger busy dropzone(Like Arizona or deland, maybe even as small as Z-Hills)? Basically it would serve the best coffee you have ever had by day, and as soon as the beer light comes on start serving beer and liquor. Would have great music playing all the time (Maybe sometimes live at night?) and be an all around cool hangout on the DZ. It would have to do at least 300+ transactions each day it is open, to stay open. What do you think?

We have a full bar at Eloy, opened from 10am or so (or at very least by noon). And espresso (when the machine works) at the restaurant side (tho it aint that good).

There was a proper coffee shop at the DZ, but closed after a few attempts due to, I guess, poor business volume.

[:/]

Coffee is heaven in a cup!!!
I would love a coffee shop at a DZ, but then with the amount of coffee I drink I think I could support a shop with my business alone. :P

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Southern_Man

Coffee shops need quite a bit of volume to support themselves. If Eloy can't do it...

Exactly what I was thinking. But then it goes back to the reason they went out of business. Did they have a good product? MORE IMPORTANTLY: Did they give the customers an experience that would make them come back for more? Its hard to say why they didnt last. But i am slowly giving up on the idea [:/][:/]

promise5

Coffee is heaven in a cup!!!
I would love a coffee shop at a DZ, but then with the amount of coffee I drink I think I could support a shop with my business alone. :P

I agree 100%. I love being a barista... Mainly because I get to do this all day: (See attachment)

Did they give the customers an experience that would make them come back for more?

It's a coffee shop. At a DZ. The experience I want is coffee as fast as possible to go back to jumping. Your business model may need to be tweaked.
Remster

Remster

Did they give the customers an experience that would make them come back for more?

It's a coffee shop. At a DZ. The experience I want is coffee as fast as possible to go back to jumping. Your business model may need to be tweaked.

Exactly what I was going to write. Who has time for the full coffee shop experience except the whuffos? I get impatient at the Dunkin' Donuts drive in if it takes more than 60 seconds in the morning rush. Half coffee/half skim milk. Ain't that hard, folks.
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Exactly what I was going to write. Who has time for the full coffee shop experience except the whuffos? I get impatient at the Dunkin' Donuts drive in if it takes more than 60 seconds in the morning rush. Half coffee/half skim milk. Ain't that hard, folks.

Speed is part of that experience. If fast service is the experience that you need to come back then that's what they need to give. I never said a "full coffee shop experience" I said and experience that made people want to come back. There is a way to give a cool laid back experience while still getting your drink out in -70 seconds. The coffee shop I'm at now is in an office building full of impatient attorneys who are rushing to get to work. I know what you are talking about. :D:D:D

JoeyH

Speed is part of that experience. If fast service is the experience that you need to come back then that's what they need to give. I never said a "full coffee shop experience" I said and experience that made people want to come back. There is a way to give a cool laid back experience while still getting your drink out in -70 seconds. The coffee shop I'm at now is in an office building full of impatient attorneys who are rushing to get to work. I know what you are talking about. :D:D:D

I would also like to point out that only one person has entertained the bar part of this idea...B|

JoeyH

I would also like to point out that only one person has entertained the bar part of this idea...B|

I'll bite. If you're going to a DZ that has sufficient volume to support such an operation, they probably already have a bar/restaurant. The SDAZ experience with a coffee shop in addition to a bar/restaurant may have shown that a busy DZ can't support both. Are you prepared to compete with an existing operation?

If you do happen to find a big enough DZ that doesn't yet have a bar/restaurant, this might be a viable business opportunity.

Personally, if I'm at my home DZ, I'm usually set for coffee (either I make it at home and drink on the way, or I make it in my RV if I'm staying over). When traveling, yeah, good joe on the DZ would be nice, but I can deal with "hot and caffeinated" if that's the only option.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

normiss

I still don't understand the draw to Dunkin' or The Bucks.

Fresh ground coffee, made at home, erry day.
Tastier AND cheaper.

Ralphie May - Cuban coffee
Dirty white people at The Bucks

Really the draw to Starbucks is the fact that all of the "Cool" people are seen with Starbucks cups. The fact of the matter is: STARBUCKS SUCKS. Starbucks is like the McDonalds of the coffee world.

Coffee has a max whole bean life of 20 days after roast. Typically you don't want to serve after 14. Coffee tastes best 7 days after roast. So that gives you about 7 days of serve time.

Coffee loses 95% of flavor, aromatics, and caffeine less than 15 minutes after it is ground.

so how is it that Starbucks serves coffee that was roasted 7 months ago and ground days before they use it? they use a preservative/flavor enhancer. Starbucks and DD coats the outside of their beans with propylene glycol. this not only "Keeps coffee fresh (Complete bullshit)" but allows you to add artificial flavors to the beans. In fact, Starbucks adds COFFEE FLAVORING to their beans :D

In any chain, consistency is key. How does Starbucks have the same flavored beans in all 10000 stores world wide? every farm is different and tastes different. They over roast the beans to the point of being burnt so that all of the coffee tastes the same.

So with Burnt, stale, Chemically enhanced coffee that isint brewed correctly... NO WONDER STARBUCKS SUCKS

JoeyH

I just ASSUMED :P it was the full coffee shop type experience since you said you loved being a barista and then posted a photo with a fancy design on top of the coffee or whatever type of drink that is.

Personally, I'm a Keurig machine girl. If a DZ put a Keurig machine on the counter near the manifest window or somewhere else easily accessible I'd think I was in Heaven. :)

LuckyMcSwervy

I just ASSUMED :P it was the full coffee shop type experience since you said you loved being a barista and then posted a photo with a fancy design on top of the coffee or whatever type of drink that is.

Personally, I'm a Keurig machine girl. If a DZ put a Keurig machine on the counter near the manifest window or somewhere else easily accessible I'd think I was in Heaven. :)

Or just a Gravity pot full of good coffee that gets refilled when it needs it. ;)

normiss

I still don't understand the draw to Dunkin' or The Bucks.

Fresh ground coffee, made at home, erry day.
Tastier AND cheaper.

Ralphie May - Cuban coffee
Dirty white people at The Bucks

I agree. I've never had Starbucks coffee and DD is just convenient if I'm outta bottled water for the Keurig machine. Years ago I used to do the coffee grind thing and I loved the smell and the taste but I honestly hated the cleaning of the machinery involved in keeping everything "fresh".

Oh wait, I just remembered I do buy the Starbuck's Blonde K-Cups. They're just ok but they were on sale so I tried them.

BTW... I stopped at DeLand for a few minutes the other day and the bar looked cool. Wish I could've stayed longer. Oh, and it smelled really good outside, BBQ smell! YUM!

:)

JoeyH

Or just a Gravity pot full of good coffee that gets refilled when it needs it. ;)

Someone does that at my DZ with the DD Box O' Joe thing on the weekends (along with DD donuts). It's a really sweet gesture by a long time jumper but I never touch the coffee. The Keurig machine would make me happier. It's the novelty of it.

LuckyMcSwervy

Someone does that at my DZ with the DD Box O' Joe thing on the weekends (along with DD donuts). It's a really sweet gesture by a long time jumper but I never touch the coffee. The Keurig machine would make me happier. It's the novelty of it.

:(:(:(:( I said GOOD coffee... If you tasted my coffee, you wouldnt want to drink Keurig coffee again if you had a choice. lol Trust me. I loved the Keurig before I got into specialty coffee.

normiss

Godoy's is my absolute favorite.
But we price shop and try to go for good deals.

I assume you don't let Bonnie shop for your coffee.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.