JerryBaumchen

Get out your hardhats

OK, anybody (everybody) smarter than me. The article says,

when it detected sound waves from the earthquake that struck Japan.

I thought the whole idea of space was nothingness where sound could not be heard because there isn't anything to carry the sound waves.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

GOCE never went up high enough to be in the nothingness of space. GOCE: the first seismometer in orbit

Since it was launched in 2009, GOCE has been mapping Earth’s gravity with unrivalled precision, orbiting at the lowest altitude of any observation satellite. But at less than 270 km up, it has to cope with air drag as it cuts through the remnants of the atmosphere.

That page also has an explanation on the sound waves from the earthquake.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

"Nobody knows where or when the fragments will hit, but the European Space Agency has said the parts are likely to fall into the ocean or unpopulated areas."

Absolutely true and completely useless. Most of the Earth is 'ocean or unpopulated areas'. Therefore, it is likely to come down there. It's like saying it is most likely to hit the planet. Yes it is. Can you refine that just a bit?

If you don't know, just say it is too early to tell. Silly quotes just jump out at me.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I think the reporters have to do that kind of reporting because if they didn't people without any common sense would flock the reporters e-mail's and phones with 'HOLY SHIT ARE WE ALL GOING TO DIE??!?!?' messages.

I know. I just wish they would make it clear that ANY planetfall is unlikely to hit a poplated area. I recognize you have to state the obvious for the masses. It just annoys me sometimes.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

SansSuit

OK, anybody (everybody) smarter than me. The article says,

when it detected sound waves from the earthquake that struck Japan.

I thought the whole idea of space was nothingness where sound could not be heard because there isn't anything to carry the sound waves.

If I remember from the article the other day, this puppy is is really low earth orbit, and technically still in the atmosphere, but the ion drive keeps it moving fast enough to not come out of orbit.

davjohns

"Nobody knows where or when the fragments will hit, but the European Space Agency has said the parts are likely to fall into the ocean or unpopulated areas."

Absolutely true and completely useless. Most of the Earth is 'ocean or unpopulated areas'. Therefore, it is likely to come down there. It's like saying it is most likely to hit the planet. Yes it is. Can you refine that just a bit?

If you don't know, just say it is too early to tell. Silly quotes just jump out at me.

Just keep checking here:
http://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=34602
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Just keep checking here:

I wonder if they have a real way of tracking that satellite or if it is just an estimation based on the known trajectory and speed of the satellite. Considering that its constantly dropping in altitude and speed, if it is a simple estimation, then I'd think it would be off pretty quickly.

ryoder

Just keep checking here:

That site is overloaded, but Fox News is mirroring the info here: http://www.foxnews.com/science/interactive/2013/11/08/track-europe-falling-2000-pound-satellite-in-real-time/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.