DJL

What do you tip the pizza delivery guy?

Pizza delivery guys are like packers: You beat them to ensure good service, you don't tip them.

(former pizza delivery guy, currently a part time packer :D)

But in all seriousness I typically do $3 or so for a normal order and add $1/pizza after the first couple. This varies depending on a wide variety of factors, though.

I did pizza delivery in college for a while. Had one guy that used to request me as his delivery guy and he'd tip really well. Super Bowl Sunday one year he called and asked for me, I happened to be in. He said if I could get "any 5 pizzas" to him in the next 30 minutes he'd tip me $100. I looked at the existing orders, for his I duplicated the next 5 pizzas due to leave, stole the next 5 out of the oven, and made it there in 15. He tipped $150 :D

I'm 99.999% sure the guy was a drug dealer, in retrospect :D

cavete terrae.

I live so rurally B|, that no one delivers. :(

I have since learned to make much better pizza than any of them do.

I don't think mrowc6 will ever let me off the pizza dough hook. :P. The good news is he almost always assembles the pizza.

Win-Win! B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

***I'm hungry.

Hey, you are more than welcome to come over! I will make some pizza that will rock your socks!

where you living lisa
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NJ here. I'll tip at least $5 on a pizza delivery order. If it's $13 I just give them a $20. I've been ordering from the same place for so many years, they've had the same delivery staff forever. They take great care of me so I like to give a little extra. I was just in there today. Yum. B|

Always be kinder than you feel.

MD.

You, Lucky, and 'Twardo are more than welcome. (Actually, many more would be, as well).

I would have loved to meet Lucky for lunch when she came through Southern Maryland, but I wasn't in town for that, so I didn't bring it up. :(

When are you going to be on the East coast on your tour?

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

MD.

You, Lucky, and 'Twardo are more than welcome. (Actually, many more would be, as well).

I would have loved to meet Lucky for lunch when she came through Southern Maryland, but I wasn't in town for that, so I didn't bring it up. :(

not heading that far north, furthest north I'm going is Nashville
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

not heading that far north, furthest north I'm going is Nashville

They get pissed off in TN when you refer to them as the north. :D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Florida here I usually tip $5. I would not want to be a delivery driver now. It seems like every other month I hear about some pizza delivery driver getting robbed and/or carjacked.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I'm more like Lucky. I round it up to the nearest $10 unless that's too little. Then, I throw in another $5. I figure some people don't tip at all, so I make up the difference. If the weather is foul, the tip goes up.

I can't think of pizza delivery without remembering a guy I stopped when I was a cop. Pizza guy. Shoulder rig with a chrome .44 mag Smith. All perfectly legal. I didn't give him a ticket for whatever he was pulled over for. Nice guy. Loaded for bear.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

I'm more like Lucky. I round it up to the nearest $10 unless that's too little. Then, I throw in another $5. I figure some people don't tip at all, so I make up the difference. If the weather is foul, the tip goes up.

I can't think of pizza delivery without remembering a guy I stopped when I was a cop. Pizza guy. Shoulder rig with a chrome .44 mag Smith. All perfectly legal. I didn't give him a ticket for whatever he was pulled over for. Nice guy. Loaded for bear.

Around here it's a almost like a very tacky contest on who tips the most. Think a bunch of Tony Soprano looking dudes with gold chains, Gucci loafers and wads of cash who like to flash it and outdo the other. I hate it but I think that's why some of the restaurants in AC and a lot of the delivery places have had the same staff forever. :|

oldwomanc6

I live so rurally B|, that no one delivers. :(

I have since learned to make much better pizza than any of them do.

I don't think mrowc6 will ever let me off the pizza dough hook. :P. The good news is he almost always assembles the pizza.

Win-Win! B|

A friend at my DZ had a wood fired oven built in his backyard and invites everyone over for Friday night pizza nights. He's a great cook and makes wonderful homemade pizzas. It's an art! I actually thought about having one built in my yard but knew just like the pool I had to have put in, it wouldn't get used that much.

oldwomanc6

MD.

Awwww.... thanks!! That would've been great. Next time! B|

I delivered pizza for 3 years, there are a lot of factors, but mainly I used this layout:

No tip -your scum
$1-2 -Your cheap
$3 -Fair
$4-5 -Good tip
$5+ -Great tip

That was for delivering in a small town. Some deliveries were literally a minute away, so getting $2 wasn't bad. But sometimes I'd drive a 20 minute round trip and get $2. That would suck. Like mentioned, it is kind of a dangerous job. For one, your driving around all day..thats dangerous enough. Then your carrying lots of money and its known that your are. Also, your driving up to a stranger's house and entering their property..There were many times I feared of getting mauled by a dog or murdered by weirdo who ordered sardines on his pizza.

Mach1dmb

I delivered pizza for 3 years, there are a lot of factors, but mainly I used this layout:

No tip -your scum
$1-2 -Your cheap
$3 -Fair
$4-5 -Good tip
$5+ -Great tip

That was for delivering in a small town. Some deliveries were literally a minute away, so getting $2 wasn't bad. But sometimes I'd drive a 20 minute round trip and get $2. That would suck. Like mentioned, it is kind of a dangerous job. For one, your driving around all day..thats dangerous enough. Then your carrying lots of money and its known that your are. Also, your driving up to a stranger's house and entering their property..There were many times I feared of getting mauled by a dog or murdered by weirdo who ordered sardines on his pizza.

If they didn't tip would they make you give them change back, like 50 cents or something like that??

Mach1dmb

No tip -your scum
$1-2 -Your cheap
$3 -Fair
$4-5 -Good tip
$5+ -Great tip

I only delivered for one summer in my college town, though the delivery area didn't hit the college neighborhoods, so we had a mix of good neighborhoods and a few that were a little sketchy. Sometimes people would ask if they were supposed to tip and I would think "I'm a waitress who brings food to your house!" but I'd normally just say "Well, most people do and it's always appreciated" or something like that. And of course you learn the technique of giving change in small bills so it's easy enough for them to hand a few back to you.

This was 20+ years ago ... back then IIRC typical tips were in the $2-3 range.

I enjoyed the job for the most part because I got an hourly wage + 50 cents per delivery, which came in the form of a paycheck. But I'd usually work 4-8 to get the dinner rush, then I had a pocket full of cash to hit the bars that night, too. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

LuckyMcSwervy

If they didn't tip would they make you give them change back, like 50 cents or something like that??

Nobody ever actually asked for the change, they would just give me say $12 when the bill is $11.75 and not say anything. But a few times I got change as a tip, or change as part of the total bill, and I would throw it in their driveway.

My son delivered pizza in college. When I asked him what was appropriate, he suggested you consider how far away you are from the pizza place. Farther away means more gas for the driver and more time they are out of the rotation to be able to make more deliveries. I take that into consideration now and tip more. I figure anyone who is delivering pizza needs the couple dollars more than I do with my cushy desk job anyway.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

NWFlyer

I only delivered for one summer in my college town, though the delivery area didn't hit the college neighborhoods, so we had a mix of good neighborhoods and a few that were a little sketchy. Sometimes people would ask if they were supposed to tip and I would think "I'm a waitress who brings food to your house!" but I'd normally just say "Well, most people do and it's always appreciated" or something like that. And of course you learn the technique of giving change in small bills so it's easy enough for them to hand a few back to you.

This was 20+ years ago ... back then IIRC typical tips were in the $2-3 range.

I enjoyed the job for the most part because I got an hourly wage + 50 cents per delivery, which came in the form of a paycheck. But I'd usually work 4-8 to get the dinner rush, then I had a pocket full of cash to hit the bars that night, too. :D

Yea, delivering is kind of like hustling. Sometimes I would make my own tips. I delivered to an area where the people weren't the brightest, and when I asked "do you need change?", they would stare for a minute trying to calculate in their head, and I would have to chime in and help them. It was great having weekly pay and then on top of that bringing home cash every night.

I was always grateful for those people who gave huge tips like $10 or $20. It really helped balance out all the bad tips. I just delivered fruit as a side job on Thanksgiving morning and got almost no tips. Then on my last delivery I got a nice tip that really made my day.