airtwardo

New Year Res ~ Gettin' my Shit together!

Just about the time I quit jumping I started thinning things out. I had collected enough gear, canopies, containers, pilot chutes and stuff to start up my own ParaGear. I loaded a bunch of it up one Sat. drove down to Perris and started handing it out. A buddy of mine said you can give away all that gear and I told I can do and damn thing I want. I then handed him my first Alti II I bought at Elsinore in 1976. You know the ones without the yellow in them.

I walked around with a grin for weeks after that.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/AltimasterII.jpg

Looks like my first one from when I first started

Then I got a new one in '76 was all mellow yellow
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=137279;

Amazon

Just about the time I quit jumping I started thinning things out. I had collected enough gear, canopies, containers, pilot chutes and stuff to start up my own ParaGear. I loaded a bunch of it up one Sat. drove down to Perris and started handing it out. A buddy of mine said you can give away all that gear and I told I can do and damn thing I want. I then handed him my first Alti II I bought at Elsinore in 1976. You know the ones without the yellow in them.

Sparky

Looks like my first one from when I first started

Boy you didn't see many of those when they were current.

Sparky

Then I got a new one in '76 was all mellow yellow
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=137279;

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

JohnMitchell

Pictures? Boxes and boxes. Have many digitized and threw out the prints, but many more to go. Still have VHS home movies of the kids I need to digitize, jeez. :S:D

Just as an FYI for anyone reading. Digitizing them is a GREAT idea, but keep a couple copies (preferably an external hard drive located at someone's house). I've seen FAR too many people put all their eggs in one basket that then goes away due to corruption of a computer, failed hardware or just getting stolen.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just as an FYI for anyone reading. Digitizing them is a GREAT idea, but keep a couple copies (preferably an external hard drive located at someone's house). I've seen FAR too many people put all their eggs in one basket that then goes away due to corruption of a computer, failed hardware or just getting stolen.

Not to highjack the thread, but is there a handy gadget or program that you know of that makes the process easier? I have a bunch of albums I'd like to throw away because they take up so much room.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

Not to highjack the thread, but is there a handy gadget or program that you know of that makes the process easier? I have a bunch of albums I'd like to throw away because they take up so much room.

skymama

It wouldn't be terribly out of the question to run off site backups. There are some cloud based services that do a pretty decent job of it, but it costs $$ for that feature.

I have my server running at the house and have a weekly script running on the DZ server to backup everything from the manifest program to my server. Wouldn't be crazy to have something similar set up for home users. It could be a mutual agreement with another party (preferably someone who doesn't or wont start hating you in the future).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

skymama

I'm sure the albums were your Father's you are way to young to have vinyl albums of your own.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

It is amazing how much "stuff" you can collect over the years. I finally convinced my wife to clean out our storage area. Paying a monthly bill to store things we nave not touched in years was grinding my ass. She does not like to throw anything out.
We gave a lot to the local charity and some to family and friends. Now if I can just keep her from starting a new collection...:S

theonlyski

I have my server running at the house and have a weekly script running on the DZ server to backup everything from the manifest program to my server. Wouldn't be crazy to have something similar set up for home users. It could be a mutual agreement with another party (preferably someone who doesn't or wont start hating you in the future).

- (2) HP Proliant Microservers.
- A dedicated VIP for all services used by other devices, (added as a secondary to the active server).
- A daily rsync from the other computers to the active server.
- A weekly rsync from the active server to the cold standby server.

This is at home.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Rick

Now if I can just keep her from starting a new collection...:S

Collections can be what get you in trouble. Collectable dolls made a run thru our family. I also gave a pretty big box of beanie babies to charity. I hope they can use them. They certainly didn't skyrocket in value as so many claimed they would.:D:D

I still have a fair collection of firearms, but they all fit in one safe and certainly hold their value. Besides, those all get trips to the range. :)

ryoder

- A dedicated VIP for all services used by other devices, (added as a secondary to the active server).

This is at home.

What happens when you get robbed or have a fire that takes them out? :P

Of course, I don't have any offsite storage yet, I am considering where I could put one and just build a NAS for that purpose to put at someones house.

theonlyski

This is at home.

Of course, I don't have any offsite storage yet, I am considering where I could put one and just build a NAS for that purpose to put at someones house.

Naval Air Station? :P:P:P
Always be kinder than you feel.

skymama

Are you asking how to back them up?
Or how to digitize albums full of printed pics?

You can scan the pics one by one through a good scanner. It takes a pretty good scanner to make a good copy though. It also takes time.

The easiest way I've come across (not my idea) is to get a reasonably good camera with a decent lens and just take digital pics of the prints. Set the camera for the highest resolution, zoom to make the print fill the viewfinder and take the pic. You want a location with good, strong, "clean" light. A room with strong sunlight is good. Artificial lighting (especially flourescents) not so much. It helps to have a tripod that you can mount the camera on and point it straight down.

You'd be surprised how well they turn out.

JohnMitchell

I also gave a pretty big box of beanie babies to charity. I hope they can use them. They certainly didn't skyrocket in value as so many claimed they would.LaughLaugh

Children's Hospital. Best place in the world for them. They can be safely sterilized and then used to comfort kids who are seriously in need of it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

theonlyski

This is at home.

True, but I've never had that happen.
However hw failures I've had a number of times, and that was the problem I was solving.

A friend bought two of the largest USB drives he could find. He keeps one at home, and one in a bank safe-deposit box. On a regular interval he writes all important data to one, then makes a trip to the bank to swap them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

A friend bought two of the largest USB drives he could find. He keeps one at home, and one in a bank safe-deposit box.

Used to do the safe deposit box thing. Realized I spent hundreds of dollars to protect things worth hundreds of dollars. Fire resistant home safe is pretty good now, but a tera hard drive in a locker at the DZ or at a friend's house wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sparky

I still have my 'Fat Needle' too! B|

Heck I must have 1/2 a dozen altimeters...two of the old style dytters & a Russian made cheaper 'copy' someone gave me years ago.

Up in my 'man cave' I have at least 25 jumpsuits hanging up...all team colors - it looks like Superman's closet! :D

Every helmet I've ever owned all the way back to a Bell motorcycle helmet are in a row on a shelf up there - looks like a ParaGear display... They're all white BTW! ;)

I have a collection of hook knives numbering about 30...all types and sizes both civilian & military issue from around the world - including a well made rather expensive Swiss made switchblade that my dad gave me when I got my Goldwings which he engraved with my name and the date. B|

'Parachute Toys'...since I started jumping I've grabbed every kind of parachute toy I happened to see from wherever in the world. They're all new in the wrapper - a sure sign of a sick mind! :ph34r:
For the past few months every time I get a visit from our oldest grandson (3) he gets a brand new 'old' parachute guy toy...he must think I have a toy factory upstairs, probably given him 20 so far, and the bin is still 3/4's full! B|

So...though it's been difficult to get started, I think I'm starting to reverse the flow of 'stuff' accumulated.

Capt. Mom made the comment yesterday after walking through the garage which was full of boxes I'd unloaded from the truck & trailer..."Why didn't I hook up with a stamp collector?!"

Told her ~ "Stamp collectors are lousy in bed!" B|:$:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Sparky

Heck I must have 1/2 a dozen altimeters...two of the old style dytters & a Russian made cheaper 'copy' someone gave me years ago.

Up in my 'man cave' I have at least 25 jumpsuits hanging up...all team colors - it looks like Superman's closet! :D

Every helmet I've ever owned all the way back to a Bell motorcycle helmet are in a row on a shelf up there - looks like a ParaGear display... They're all white BTW! ;)

I have a collection of hook knives numbering about 30...all types and sizes both civilian & military issue from around the world - including a well made rather expensive Swiss made switchblade that my dad gave me when I got my Goldwings which he engraved with my name and the date. B|

'Parachute Toys'...since I started jumping I've grabbed every kind of parachute toy I happened to see from wherever in the world. They're all new in the wrapper - a sure sign of a sick mind! :ph34r:
For the past few months every time I get a visit from our oldest grandson (3) he gets a brand new 'old' parachute guy toy...he must think I have a toy factory upstairs, probably given him 20 so far, and the bin is still 3/4's full! B|

So...though it's been difficult to get started, I think I'm starting to reverse the flow of 'stuff' accumulated.

Capt. Mom made the comment yesterday after walking through the garage which was full of boxes I'd unloaded from the truck & trailer..."Why didn't I hook up with a stamp collector?!"

How do you know? :P:P:P
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Sparky

How do you know? :P:P:P

What happens in Vegas... STAYS in Vegas! :)

~ opened a box this morning from San Diego...my old dive computer was in it among other scuba related stuff, the battery in it still works! Haven't worn it in 15 years...:S

~ anybody need a pair of 20 year old size 12 inflatable liner ski boots? 'like new'! :ph34r:

~ How about an altimeter from a B25? - it was in a box with a 20 year old 'second chance' bulletproof vest & 4 smoke brackets...I can just imagine some FBI Profiler sifting through my stuff & saying 'Ummmm we may have a problem here' :S:ph34r:

airtwardo

~ How about an altimeter from a B25? :S

Take it to Oshkosh next year. I'll bet that there's at least one or two guys there that might be at least a little interested in it.

Maybe donate it to a museum?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

JohnMitchell

***Now if I can just keep her from starting a new collection...:S

Collections can be what get you in trouble. Collectable dolls made a run thru our family. I also gave a pretty big box of beanie babies to charity. I hope they can use them. They certainly didn't skyrocket in value as so many claimed they would.:D:D

I still have a fair collection of firearms, but they all fit in one safe and certainly hold their value. Besides, those all get trips to the range. :)

yeah the gun thing. I have a hard time parting with them . i was showing my wife the Springfield XDS .45 I want to get. She says well if you sell the .380 you'll that will cover half the cost of the new one. Sell what do you mean the safe's not full yet. :P

Rick

******Now if I can just keep her from starting a new collection...:S

yeah the gun thing. I have a hard time parting with them . i was showing my wife the Springfield XDS .45 I want to get. She says well if you sell the .380 you'll that will cover half the cost of the new one. Sell what do you mean the safe's not full yet. :P

What do you mean "Sell"?

When the safe gets full you either get another one or trade for a bigger one.

Maybe donate it to a museum?

...Speaking of which ~

A couple weeks ago I sent a box off to the Smithsonian.

My dad's WW II uniforms were in it - full set, brand new never worn. He fought in Europe with a Recon unit for the 9th Armored Div. Following the victory in Europe, he was sitting in San Diego waiting to be deployed for the Japan invasion...his uniform was extremely battle worn so he was issued a new one & had just gotten all the unit/rank patches sewn on when 2 hours later came the surrender.

Also threw in my uncles silk parachute...he flew bombers in Germany & Korea.

airtwardo

What happens in Vegas... STAYS in Vegas! :)

~ opened a box this morning from San Diego...my old dive computer was in it among other scuba related stuff, the battery in it still works! Haven't worn it in 15 years...:S

~ anybody need a pair of 20 year old size 12 inflatable liner ski boots? 'like new'! :ph34r:

~ How about an altimeter from a B25? - it was in a box with a 20 year old 'second chance' bulletproof vest & 4 smoke brackets...I can just imagine some FBI Profiler sifting through my stuff & saying 'Ummmm we may have a problem here' :S:ph34r:

Especially when he finds the 727 manual, and the Seattle sectional charts circa 1971...

Right. sometimes simple can work...
Use a tripod, remote shutter switch if you have one, and good lighting ... and you CAN photograph them, one right after the other, and i'd bet accomplish quite a bit in an hour or so...:)Hahaha Twardo i laughed out loud, when i read about your TWO Dozen jumpsuits B|:)
Anyway... You ARE Superman !!!:)

it's tough to part with things, but there's lots of good advice in this thread....When the time arrives,,,Do it... but share what you can, whenever you can......

Someone in Aviation History once said " Simplicate & Make Lighter " Maybe one of
the Wright Brothers...good advice then.. good advice now.