regulator

A different type of base jumping

I can't go much deeper than 15 feet in a swimming pool's diving section before the pressure in my ears start to hurt. Fuck that. :S

But that video looks well done. Wonder how many takes it took to splice that together between breathing breaks? :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You need to equalize. Hold your nose and blow. It will force the pressure between your ears and your mouth to equalize. You need to do it often to keep the pressure from building up as you descend.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

You need to equalize. Hold your nose and blow. It will force the pressure between your ears and your mouth to equalize. You need to do it often to keep the pressure from building up as you descend.

Those pesky eustachian tubes?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

BillyVance

I can't go much deeper than 15 feet in a swimming pool's diving section before the pressure in my ears start to hurt. Fuck that. :S

But that video looks well done. Wonder how many takes it took to splice that together between breathing breaks? :P

I've learned that if one of my ears is giving me more trouble than the other that if I tilt my head to one side while descending, sometimes that helps out. Or jiggle your jaw. That's another one.

ETA: It can happen while ascending as well. Reverse block. Descend a few feet, tile the head, jiggle the jaw, gently try to equalize and try to ascend a few feet. YMMV.
Always be kinder than you feel.

BillyVance

Gotta be able to equalize...

I used to do a lot of freediving and spear fishing... My personal limit when I was in my 20's was about 90 feet shoot a fish and get it back to the surface.. I can still manage to get to 30 feet and hold my breath for about 2 minutes... gives me lots of linger time for grabbing langusta:)

Some people have small tubes, or even different sized tubes (sounds like Karen does). I keep decongestants in my SCUBA gear. Some of my dive buddies have to take them every time.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

Some people have small tubes, or even different sized tubes (sounds like Karen does). I keep decongestants in my SCUBA gear. Some of my dive buddies have to take them every time.

Actually, I'm "normal" in the tube area but have a somewhat misshapen left maxillary sinus cavity and the swelling can mess with the eustachian tube.. I've had 3 sinus surgeries over the years. I'm just lucky. :S I have to dose Sudafed and always keep it in my Save A Dive Kit and tucked in my logbook pockets. Same thing with Triptone/Dramamine , which I start dosing the night before. No wonder I'm so tired after a dive day. :P

I always defer to DAN's doctors and advice (you can call them) for my medical questions as related to diving. My ENT and family doctor's advice has always jived with DAN's as well.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/Taking_medications_when_you_dive

The meds definitely aren't a cure all. I've had to bag a dive more than once after being unable to equalize on descent. Barotrauma scares the hell out of me. [:/]

DAN is the Divers Alert Network. Here's a link if you're interested in checking it out: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

I do pretty well on equalizing. I once got caught in some dense fishing line and had to dive to get away from it. I was so concerned with diving that I didn't equalize until the pain reminded me. I was able to equalize, but it hurt for a while after that. I've been very careful since.

I think I'm susceptible to nitrogen narcosis, though. I've had deep dives where I felt pretty much like I do after a couple of drinks.

davjohns

I do pretty well on equalizing. I once got caught in some dense fishing line and had to dive to get away from it. I was so concerned with diving that I didn't equalize until the pain reminded me. I was able to equalize, but it hurt for a while after that. I've been very careful since.

I think I'm susceptible to nitrogen narcosis, though. I've had deep dives where I felt pretty much like I do after a couple of drinks.

You're lucky with the equalizing!! Sometimes people on the dive boat ask me if the dive knife I carry on me is for sharks. :D When I say it's more for cutting myself away from fishing line should I get snagged they give me a strange look like I'm joking. A friend of mine always seems to come up from wrecks in the Keys with a pocket full of fishing line and lead sinkers.

I've never been narced. I've had a dive buddy, actually it was another student in the advanced class, become narced and our instructor caught it, but it hasn't happened to me... yet. I kind of hope it will happen so I'll know for sure what it feels like.