ryoder

"I see dead people..."

I would totally take one of those classes! The fun part of med school without having to you know, actually go to med school. :D:D

Did you do CPR on cadavers?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Seeing real body parts really showed me how mistaken I was about many things:
- Liver was about 2 x the size I expected.
- Lungs were about 1/2 the size I expected.
- I had no idea what the mesentery was.
- Nerves were a hell of a lot bigger, in fact they looked like arteries.

No CPR on cadavers, but I have used the BVM on a live (cute) chick.:)

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LuckyMcSwervy

Any chance you saw a brain dissection?

The top of the skull had been removed, and the brain/spinal cord removed as a unit.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Any chance you saw a brain dissection?

The top of the skull had been removed, and the brain/spinal cord removed as a unit.

Oh wow. I asked that weird question because I wonder what brain lesions look like in the flesh, so to speak, not just on a MRI. I've only seen pics, cross sections of a brain magnified, etc. but I think it would be neat if they could be seen to the naked eye.

Thanks!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

Didn't see brain lesions, but he did show us the cancerous growths on the lungs and trachea that probably killed the guy.

The extensive dissection had me curious, so I asked him how many hours had gone into that cadaver; The answer: ~160 hours.:o

ryoder

Didn't see brain lesions, but he did show us the cancerous growths on the lungs and trachea that probably killed the guy.

The extensive dissection had me curious, so I asked him how many hours had gone into that cadaver; The answer: ~160 hours.:o

WOW. That's a month of 40 hour work weeks on the same person. WOW.

Was this the Master Dissector guy from the web page? Master Dissector just cracks me up. That's a lotta talent, I presume!!

LuckyMcSwervy

***Didn't see brain lesions, but he did show us the cancerous growths on the lungs and trachea that probably killed the guy.

Was this the Master Dissector guy from the web page? Master Dissector just cracks me up. That's a lotta talent, I presume!!

Yes, it was the guy you see on the web page.
That job title sounds dirty, doesn't it?:D

He gets the cadavers from the U of UT School of Medicine. After 18 months he returns them, they are cremated, and the ashes returned to the family.

ryoder

******Didn't see brain lesions, but he did show us the cancerous growths on the lungs and trachea that probably killed the guy.

Yes, it was the guy you see on the web page.
That job title sounds dirty, doesn't it?:D

He gets the cadavers from the U of UT School of Medicine. After 18 months he returns them, they are cremated, and the ashes returned to the family.

TTYTT I had no idea they returned the remains to the family. I always thought once you are donated and utilized, you're buried in some potter's field type place.

I watch too much TV. :D

ryoder

***Have you read Stiff? (SFW:D)

I don't think I've heard of it, but the author's name sounds familiar.

It's a fun read and sounds like you'd be interested in it. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ryoder

I loved it when they would show autopsies and surgery on TV.
I don't know why, but it is incredibly interesting to me.

I'll stay up all night glued to the TV.

I have seen a good chunk of what is on You Tube.

Damn, no sleep for me tonight.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LuckyMcSwervy

***Didn't see brain lesions, but he did show us the cancerous growths on the lungs and trachea that probably killed the guy.

That's just to cut em up Juuuuuuuust right. Now spend every other waking hour for the next 2 months living in the lab, smelling like formaldehyde, learning where everything is.

turtlespeed

I loved it when they would show autopsies and surgery on TV.
I don't know why, but it is incredibly interesting to me.

I'll stay up all night glued to the TV.

I have seen a good chunk of what is on You Tube.

Damn, no sleep for me tonight.:ph34r:

A long time ago I happened across an entire knee-replacement surgery on TV, and watched the whole thing.

wildcard451

That's just to cut em up Juuuuuuuust right. Now spend every other waking hour for the next 2 months living in the lab, smelling like formaldehyde, learning where everything is.

I had the damned flavor of formaldehyde in my mouth when I got home.:S
I had a half glass of red wine just to get rid of it.

ryoder

I had the damned flavor of formaldehyde in my mouth when I got home.:S
I had a half glass of red wine just to get rid of it.

Did it get the taste out of your mouth?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun