ryoder

Any Porsche fans here?

oldwomanc6

:D

When I lived in Hawaii, I had a 944. It was a fun little car. Then I grew up and got a real sports car. *runs and hides*

So you bought a Jaguar XJ220?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

oldwomanc6

******:D

When I lived in Hawaii, I had a 944. It was a fun little car. Then I grew up and got a real sports car. *runs and hides*

Niiiiiiice!

But only 217mph[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

They haven't made anything I've been interested in since the 928, 944S, 959 series. The current line up is shit. Clinging to an obsolete design for some reason.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

theplummeter

***:D

I used to drive one of those. It always amazed me how well VW Rabbit parts fit when I needed to replace something.

+1

I had a 914 that I bought as is... with a bad engine. I bought a used VW Bus with the fuel injected engine for $300 and pushed it up into the 914 engine bay. I kept it for a couple years with no engine issues at all. Fun to drive.. but I will stick with the non expensive VW's:D

Good one.

At least this early iteration had the fundamentals for what made Porsche so successful on a race track. All this talk about 914s, 928s and 944s. None of those stood the test time. But the 911 series has. I haven't driven the new 991 yet but I have driven my 993 on a race track and have been a passenger in a 997 GT3 RS on the track. Wowza is all I have to say. If you folks have not been on the track with something like this, you don't know what you are missing. As an appetizer, how about taking a lap at Nordschleife with the World's fastest taxi driver, the one and only Sabine Schmitz is behind the wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaD_bSDaIQ

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Amazon

I had a 914 that I bought as is... with a bad engine. I bought a used VW Bus with the fuel injected engine for $300 and pushed it up into the 914 engine bay. I kept it for a couple years with no engine issues at all. Fun to drive.. but I will stick with the non expensive VW's:D

I used to have a 914 too! A 1975 2.0, all black. Bought it off a couple from Washington state and had it shipped here. Probably the most fun car I ever drove. Yeah it was a bit high maintenance, but I had a garage that did good work for reasonable prices. Man that thing could corner at high speeds really well. >:(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

turtlespeed

***:D

Looks a bit like my 360... I didn't know Jaguar had something that sexy.

I do love the porsches, but as an Italian I felt compelled to buy something from the homeland :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Tink1717

They haven't made anything I've been interested in since the 928, 944S, 959 series. The current line up is shit. Clinging to an obsolete design for some reason.

wait wait wait... the current 911 is a beauty and fast to boot. The only downfall in my mind is the rear engine which I think a mid engine is more appropriate for a supercar. But I always sneak a peek at the local Porsche place since its attached to the Audi shop that does my inspections and just think the style is pretty timeless

Nope. That's clinging to an obsolete design. It's not optimal distribution and has a problem with trailing throttle oversteer that they've never fixed. That's why BMWs and Ferarris dominate. They were on a good path with the 928/944 series but abandoned it in deference to the 911 design. It's like a model T with new sheet metal.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

Nope. That's clinging to an obsolete design. It's not optimal distribution and has a problem with trailing throttle oversteer that they've never fixed. That's why BMWs and Ferarris dominate. They were on a good path with the 928/944 series but abandoned it in deference to the 911 design. It's like a model T with new sheet metal.

Yes the trail throttle oversteer is a problem, Ferrari has a throttle-on-oversteer problem just like Lotus (used to have an Elise) but is far more manageable since you're usually straight line accelerating.

What about the Carrera GT?

BillyVance

I used to have a 914 too! A 1975 2.0, all black. Bought it off a couple from Washington state and had it shipped here. Probably the most fun car I ever drove. Yeah it was a bit high maintenance, but I had a garage that did good work for reasonable prices. Man that thing could corner at high speeds really well. >:(

And the cool thing is: Billy is never distracted by the screaming of his passengers!B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

And the cool thing is: Billy is never distracted by the screaming of his passengers!B|

I've had to wipe clean the passenger seat a couple times. That's the way it goes sometimes. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban