regulator

Plane, skydiver collide in Polk County

LOLZ. The news headlines & captions are all saying "Skydiver says he'll jump again!". :o:o
This is why I never discuss skydiving with non-skydivers. Deep down, they all think that, for all but the criminally insane, it's a once-off like bungee jumping. "Why would you wanna do that again??"

jumpwally

Christ,,whats the story behind that pic ? :o

A skydiver under canopy and a pilot in a C-170 got into a bit of a "right of way" dispute. Nobody dead, scratch one plane.

There's a huge thread over in incidents. Chuck and the Professor (and a bunch of others) are arguing about who has right of way.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***Christ,,whats the story behind that pic ? :o

A skydiver under canopy and a pilot in a C-170 got into a bit of a "right of way" dispute. Nobody dead, scratch one plane.

There's a huge thread over in incidents. Chuck and the Professor (and a bunch of others) are arguing about who has right of way.

Scratch one plane and one parachute.

Parachute won that battle though. With a little TLC it could fly again.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Chuck and the Professor (and a bunch of others) are arguing about who has right of way.

That's an easy one. "Low man has ROW" I have a REAL problem with an 87 yr old man flying the plane doing "Touch and goes" during sky diving operation hrs. My thought is this DZ also has an airstrip in it that's being used by local aviators as well. When I jumped old SDH in Waller, Texas I saw a lot of crap there that kept you on your toes all of the time. Lots of people are not acclimated to jumping in an atmosphere like that. (SIMOPS) IMO they shouldn't be jumping there unless they're reminded constantly about the "Other Operation" going on. If not, we'll see this again. Glad everyone but the plane was good to go.

Best-
Richard

Arguing about ROW is really kind of stupid IMO. Assuming someone will deviate, or stop, or whatever due to ROW is not a good plan

No one was even arguing about anything before you showed up. As far as you saying it's stupid, well I believe we just saw your true colors. Lighten up, just a tad. What do say? ;)

Best-
Richard

rwieder

Chuck and the Professor (and a bunch of others) are arguing about who has right of way.

That's an easy one. "Low man has ROW" I have a REAL problem with an 87 yr old man flying the plane doing "Touch and goes" during sky diving operation hrs. My thought is this DZ also has an airstrip in it that's being used by local aviators as well. When I jumped old SDH in Waller, Texas I saw a lot of crap there that kept you on your toes all of the time. Lots of people are not acclimated to jumping in an atmosphere like that. (SIMOPS) IMO they shouldn't be jumping there unless they're reminded constantly about the "Other Operation" going on. If not, we'll see this again. Glad everyone but the plane was good to go.

Best-
Richard

Where I used to jump, there were times during the year when we had to schedule jumps between crop-duster take-offs and landings. It got a little shaky at times when someone got the timing screwed-up.

Chuck

Where I used to jump, there were times during the year when we had to schedule jumps between crop-duster take-offs and landings. It got a little shaky at times when someone got the timing screwed-up.

WOW! I wouldn't even jump any where near pest control chemicals are being sprayed. I used to drill a lot of wells in Burleson County in the Brazos river bottom during the height of the cotton season and the cute little dare devils were spraying their chemicals on the cotton. I'm not sure what the extended exposure to those chemicals will have on me in years to come, what I can tell you is it of course the chemicals smell really bad, but it'll make your skin burn too. I just started staying in my office when they were flying. Those "pilots" are really crazy the way they pull those planes up just in time to miss the power lines. We saw one that didn't make it and got hung up on the power lines. That made my year! :DB|

Best-
Richard

rwieder

WOW! I wouldn't even jump any where near pest control chemicals are being sprayed. I used to drill a lot of wells in Burleson County in the Brazos river bottom during the height of the cotton season and the cute little dare devils were spraying their chemicals on the cotton. I'm not sure what the extended exposure to those chemicals will have on me in years to come, what I can tell you is it of course the chemicals smell really bad, but it'll make your skin burn too. I just started staying in my office when they were flying. Those "pilots" are really crazy the way they pull those planes up just in time to miss the power lines. We saw one that didn't make it and got hung up on the power lines. That made my year! :DB|

Best-
Richard

I've known cotton farmers who have lived into their 70's and 80' who would stand in their cotton fields and 'flag' the crop dusters! When I lived in Harlingen, Texas, a buddy of mine and I got a couple crop dusters to fly us to Killeen, Texas to visit his injured brother who was stationed at the Army Base there. We rented a Cessna 182 and away we went. We no more than got off the ground and one of the pilots reached into a cooler and grabbed a cold beer. Buzzed the tower and away we went. As we were flying along, I asked the pilot about high lines. He aimed right for some wires ahead and asked me; "Over or under?" I said "OVER'! He went under! Obviously, we all survived that week-end but when we landed, there was an FAA guy there with his hand-out. You bet, crop dusters are nuts. :D:D

Chuck

rwieder

Best-
Richard

The FAA thinks there is no question as to who had the ROW

105.23 Parachute operations over or onto airports.

No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft, over or onto any airport unless—

(b) For airports without an operating control tower, prior approval has been obtained from the management of the airport to conduct parachute operations over or on that airport.

(c) A parachutist may drift over that airport with a fully deployed and properly functioning parachute if the parachutist is at least 2,000 feet above that airport's traffic pattern, and avoids creating a hazard to air traffic or to persons and property on the ground.

The pilot was doing what you do at airports.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

JohnMitchell

I have a REAL problem with an 87 yr old man flying the plane doing "Touch and goes" during sky diving operation hrs.

It's a free country. Both T&G's and skydiving are VFR activities done in Class E & G airspace using see-and-avoid methods.

Bingo. We scream and yell about airport access, yet the planes also have access rights. Unless the DZ owns the airport, the plane had every right in the world to be there. So did the jumper. The "2000' over the pattern" rule doesn't apply when the landing area is on the airport.

My old DZ was on a small, grass runway airport. There were more than a couple "old guys" flying around, doing T&Gs, not talking on the radio.
And our landing area was on the runway.
We had lots of outs and alternates, we'd pay attention to what was going on when we were loading up, we taught them that "windblades out means we are jumping."

Paying attention to what was going on and communicating with each other kept any conflicts small and uneventful.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DanG

105.23(c) does not apply to this situation. 105.23(b) does.

If 105.23(c) applied to all airports, then just about all dropzones would have to shut down.

105.5 applies across the board.

Also FAR 61.23.3(c) applies when doing T&Gs in a C170.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.