FFjumper

Advice...12 jumps, what now?

To all of you guys/gals who can jump and look cool doing it, I have a question.

I have 12 jumps and need to know what type of progression I should be looking at. What I mean is what is the next thing I should be working on? I can exit and level out quick, I enjoy working on canopy control, but I need to know what freefall techniques I should be working on, in order. For example, I can do my 360's and stop on heading and flips, should I start working on back-flying, sit-flying, etc. I would like to get something else to make it interesting, so please give me some feedback. Thanks.

Blue skies!
Mike

"If we don't know life, how can we know death?" - Confucius

Talk to your Instructors.
Watch the skies, the DZ videos to see which discipline interests you (vertical, RW, Canopy Relative Work, swooping, wingsuit flying, etc).
Then sit down with your Instructors again.
Rinse, Repeat.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

12 jumps?
As was said, talk to a local instructor, but....

Can you fall straight down (it's much harder than you think, but this is the underlying skill to do any kind of relative work)? Can you move forward, backward, sideways? Can you adjust your fall rate?
Can you track effectively?
Any of this requires someone else in the air with you. Are you jumping with a coach or another student?
Lastly, forget about freeflying until you can belly-fly. This will take about 100 jumps.
lastly, don't listen to advice given over the internet.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Your instructors can help you figure this out.

Solo freefall is often a waste of time. Lack of a frame of reference means that you don't REALLY know how well you are performing. 

If you must jump solo rather than with a coach... I highly suggest hop & pops to work on canopy skills.  You cannot practice flat (braked) turns too much. Your instructors can help you plan jumps that are appropriate for you and your gear. 
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

12 jumps?

Can you fall straight down (it's much harder than you think, but this is the underlying skill to do any kind of relative work)? Can you move forward, backward, sideways? Can you adjust your fall rate?
Any of this requires someone else in the air with you. Are you jumping with a coach or another student?
Lastly, forget about freeflying until you can belly-fly. This will take about 100 jumps.

Perfectly stated...and that's it in a nutshell! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

12 jumps?

Perfectly stated...and that's it in a nutshell! B|

Hmmph -

I suggest getting into swooping, since you like canopy stuff.

So, I guess to answer your question of "What Next?" the next thing to do is downsize your canopy and start saving for a cross braced canopy, swoops shorts, a skull cap helmet and some really really cool sunglasses.

You will also need a Neptune, and about 10 friends to film and photo you at the end of the day at the swoop pond.

from there - you will need to work on your geeking abilities for the camera.

BUT . . . before you do all that - you should really REALLY decide to not take me seriously.:D

Just folow Keith and Twardo's advice - you will live longer.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Solo freefall is often a waste of time

I have to disagree.

Repetition will help you relax. In this sport we only get one min of practice per jump.... So it is often very difficult to relax. Having to do other things with other people can add stress.

While clear and pulls will help with canopy control and comfort with low exits.... freefall comfort only comes from freefall.

Yes a solo will not build as many skills as a jump with a coach, but a BAD two way might just hurt more than a solo.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have to disagree.

Repetition will help you relax. In this sport we only get one min of practice per jump.... So it is often very difficult to relax. Having to do other things with other people can add stress.

While clear and pulls will help with canopy control and comfort with low exits.... freefall comfort only comes from freefall.

Yes a solo will not build as many skills as a jump with a coach, but a BAD two way might just hurt more than a solo.

thank you sir for your astute post.

as for ideas, i say practice your tracking!

I have 12 jumps and need to know what type of progression I should be looking at. What I mean is what is the next thing I should be working on?

It's spelled out for you on your A licesne proficiency card. Get that out of the way before anything esle. Believe it or not, the requirements for the A license are all things you should know so you might as well knock them out first and earn your license first.

Once you have your A, you can do whatever you want. I'd suggest putting a rig together, getting a jumpsuit, and attempting some easy 2-ways with another fun jumper. Jumping with your ultra-skilled AFF instructors will lull you into thinking that a two way is easy, but the reality is that the jumps go exactly the way the instructors want them to. Whatever you can throw at them, they can adapt to it and keep the jump moving forward.

Get out there with another 'average' jumper, and see how 'easy' it is. Repeat until you succeed.

Download the Skydivers Information Manual from the USPA website. Read the ISP and see what skills you have accomplished in the student progression to date and those you need to accomplish to receive your A license. Talk to your instructors about the skills you need to accomplish to complete the A license card and arrange to make those jumps with a USPA Coach or AFFI. Make those jumps, meet the standards and get your A license. If you read the SIM, you should know exactly what you need to know and accomplish at your stage of the progression. If it is still not clear, sit down with an AFFI and the SIM and have the AFFI explain it to you. Good luck and Blue Skies!
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I have to disagree.

+1

I can remember a few two ways that might as well have been solos.