LuckyMcSwervy

Motorcycle People Please Help Me Out :)

JerryBaumchen

Hi Lucky,

Here is a portion of an article that I wrote back in '04 for a car magazine:

It was the summer of '54. Ike was in the White House and the Korean War was behind us. A guy named Bill Haley and a group called the Comets were about to change the music world forever with a song called 'Rock Around the Clock'. I was a gangly 13-year old with a paper route.

My brother and I had been wrenching and modifying our bicycles for about four years and seeing what length of skid marks we could put down on the sidewalk. But I wanted something other than a Pedal-Matic. So I saved my money and for about $20 bought a DoodleBug.

This was a two-wheel motor scooter about thirty inches long and about twenty-four inches high. When I sat on it, I looked like an NBA player on a 3-year old's tricycle. It had a single cylinder two-cycle engine with a straight exhaust, no muffler. It had a throttle with a slip clutch, a brake, a kick-start system and no lights or electrical system of any kind. She would do about thirty MPH flat out. Crack the throttle and you were on your way.

For about fourteen cents per gallon of gas, plus a little oil, I could fill the tank and go clear across Portland (before freeways or interstates). As long as I stayed off of the main streets, the police didn't bother me. The DoodleBug wasn`t licensed and neither was I. But, I had mobility - a life-changing event.

:P

I posted the entire article on here quite some time ago, but you might find it interesting reading.

JerryBaumchen

I think that sounds like a great memory from your youth. I'd love to read the entire article if you have the link handy!! Thanks for sharing!! B|B|B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

airtwardo

But it is a bike and in traffic and in the city, my boyfriend's 125 cc scooter is hands-down the more appropriate/practical vehicle.

Nat is dating a scooter guy???:o

An appropriate & practical one no less...:S

I think appropriate and practical is sexy and wonderful traits to have in a boyfriend. B|

mjosparky

LOL... I forgot about that scene.

I submit this one. Always a chick, isn't it? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBWq8vrFmI

http://www.bajamotorsports.com/categories/minibikes :)
Sparky

My brothers had one that looked like the minibike on the left when they were really little. I think my mom made my Dad get rid of it. :|

LuckyMcSwervy

***I got a BLUE 80 never had a fill...needs insp. Make ya a great deal! :)

:P:P:P It's gotta be PINK!! I have another color and it just isn't me. :D

I hear PINK is the new 'yummy yellow' as far as SHARKS are concerned! :):P>:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

******I got a BLUE 80 never had a fill...needs insp. Make ya a great deal! :)

:P:P:P It's gotta be PINK!! I have another color and it just isn't me. :D

I hear PINK is the new 'yummy yellow' as far as SHARKS are concerned! :):P>:(

I'm okay with that. I bought a bright yellow long sleeve rash guard just because it's yum yum yellow. Luckily, I also have some PINK ones since it's the new yum yum color. :P

I actually welcome shark encounters. B|

LuckyMcSwervy

***I avoid anything but Honda. They are known for quality and reliability. Not a fan of scooters, but understand your reasoning.

Thanks. I've had such a good run with my CR-V I was hoping the scooters were just as reliable. B|

Having raced very competitively for much of my life I can certainly attest to Honda Quality. But I would not go so far as to apply it to scooters based on name. Plenty of decent stuff out there. Some junk from China that has no support but some good stuff out of Korea and of course Japan. I don't know if Honda even makes their small scooters.

In racing I loved the clutches, transmissions, and brake feel of the Honda product, none of which applies to a simple scooter. In touring bikes the Harley Ultra kills the Goldwing so judging by names is not all that simple.

Stay away from anything that you can not get support or parts.(lots of china stuff-not all)

That said I doubt Honda puts there name on anything junk if you are name loyal. I am a big fan of Yamaha as well but have raced them all and were talking about a scooter here. Find one that you think is cute and fits you well, make sure it has support if it is not a big name, and maybe do a quick search to make sure it has no glaring faults, but even take that with a grain of salt on the internet.

But my scooter will always go faster than yours ;)
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

jackwallace

Its just like buying gear. Go try it. Rent or borrow. Remember bikes sux. Big or small. They are hot when its hot, wet when it rains, cold when its cold. Sitting under bridges in the rain sucks. It will cost you more for the costume- helmet, gloves, boots, chaps, jacket and vest, than the bike.

This is not so true for women... There is plenty of practically new "used" gear for sale... Because girls are girls and they like shopping, and they are quick to get fully kitted out, and then 2 weeks down the road they decide 2-wheels are not for them... Or they break up with their biker boyfriend and no longer have any use for the (very expensive) brand-new gear... Or they bought 2 of everything (because they came in different colours) and at some point they realise some of it wasn't quite what they really, truly wanted (too small, not pink enough, et cetera)... It's unfortunate to paint women as flakey impulsive shoppers, but it certainly seems to be a pattern that keeps repeating itself...

So there is a decent selection of used gear for ladies on e-bay/craig's list, et cetera. :P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

LuckyMcSwervy

But it is a bike and in traffic and in the city, my boyfriend's 125 cc scooter is hands-down the more appropriate/practical vehicle.

I think appropriate and practical is sexy and wonderful traits to have in a boyfriend. B|

Appropriate and practical are fine traits in a man. But if your boyfriend rides a scooter, you have a girlfriend.

Someone had to say it. All the guys were thinking it.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

Appropriate and practical are fine traits in a man. But if your boyfriend rides a scooter, you have a girlfriend.

:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

davjohns

Not that any of us mind that image, of course.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Not that any of us mind that image, of course.

By that, you meant you want pictures, right?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

david3

***Appropriate and practical are fine traits in a man. But if your boyfriend rides a scooter, you have a girlfriend. Someone had to say it. All the guys were thinking it.

Except for the ones secure in their masculinity.

PRETTY sure they did too.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

david3

***Appropriate and practical are fine traits in a man. But if your boyfriend rides a scooter, you have a girlfriend. Someone had to say it. All the guys were thinking it.

You can ride bitch seat on my scooter. :D:D:D

LuckyMcSwervy

******Appropriate and practical are fine traits in a man. But if your boyfriend rides a scooter, you have a girlfriend. Someone had to say it. All the guys were thinking it.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SCREAM!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********Appropriate and practical are fine traits in a man. But if your boyfriend rides a scooter, you have a girlfriend. Someone had to say it. All the guys were thinking it.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SCREAM!

There was an open b in someone's post. I fixed it!!