akarunway

For the pilots

http://news.msn.com/us/small-plane-crash-on-fla-beach-1-dead-1-injured Couldn't he have dead sticked it elsewhere? Like in the water? Not making judgements. Just curious. I'd rather take out myself rather than kill people on the ground.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

http://news.msn.com/us/small-plane-crash-on-fla-beach-1-dead-1-injured Couldn't he have dead sticked it elsewhere? Like in the water? Not making judgements. Just curious. I'd rather take out myself rather than kill people on the ground.

Not the first time that it's happened (pilot deadsticks to a beach and takes out someone on the ground).

He was probably worried about ditching in the water since it has a pretty good chance of flipping right over on its back, so he took the other option. Don't think it's the option I would've taken... I would've put it down a bit offshore and had the door opened. Fuck the plane and everything in it, that's the problem for the insurance company.

ETA: Looks like the pilot was 57 years old and the passenger was 60, so there may have been some consideration by the pilot that either or both wouldn't have survived ditching in the water.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

akarunway

Have you ever flown an airplane?

When things go bad, you have to consider a number of things. Yes, he could have done a number of things, but sitting in the left seat with a problem he picked this option as the best one available to him.

Without KNOWING all the other considerations, it's silly to second guess why he picked this one, but I can guarantee in his mind he thought it was the best one at the time from where he was sitting.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm not a pilot and will wait on the offical faa report.The lawyers will sort everything out after the faa does their thing.

Glad to see the pilot didn't try and turn around immediatly after T.O. to try and make it back to thr airport. We've lost way to many jumpers from that.

Any locals or pilots know the relative location of the departure airport and the impact area.?
One Jump Wonder

(Provided he took off from Venice KVNC) Depending on which runway he took off from, he could've been heading north or south along the coast line. Both directions are pretty tight with houses, trees to the south and a sliver of beach line.
https://goo.gl/maps/8Lxtr

I don't know the exact location he put it down in, so I don't know what they were looking at.

Looks like the glide ratio on the plane at best glide would be about 1 mile for 1000', so if he was low already, he wouldn't have much time or altitude to waste before impact. If he lost the engine at 1k, he would have about 35-40 seconds of glide at max provided he took immediate action to get to best glide.

Take away a couple of seconds of 'what the hell just happened' and possibly a couple more seconds for boost pump on, mixture rich, mags both and switch tanks and you're already nearly committed to the area directly ahead.

I recently flew as a safety pilot for a girl working on her instrument rating. Before we launched I asked if she was good on fuel and oil that she confirmed she was. We flew approximately an hour and on our descent after she removed the foggles, I felt a power reduction (I was scanning out of my window for traffic). When I looked back over the instruments, the engine wasn't running and she had a look of horror, so I asked her if she reduced the power and she said no. I flipped on the boost pump, mixture rich and half opened the throttle and told her to switch tanks, the engine started back up. Had this pilot been in a similar situation, that low to the ground, they might have wondered what happened the whole way down.

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened with these guys, but I'm sure there will be like always a chain of events that led to the unfortunate accident. Two tours in Iraq and he gets taken out by a heavy glider on a beach. [:/]

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

News is reporting that the girl has also passed. [:/]

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/7/29/sheriff_s_office_gir.html

None of can know what exactly happened. But here is a thought that adds on to other posts. The engine quits, and the only reasonable spot you see is the beach. You head for it while doing a number of other things...trying to restart, making a mayday call, checking your airspeed, talking to passenger about getting ready for a crash landing along with swearing. As you get near and are committed you see some people but you think they will surely hear you coming in and get out of your way. It's too late to do anything by the time you realize they are not going to get out of your way.

Yep. I would have put it anywhere that was empty. NOT where people are. Go for the water. Or 20' closer to the water than he did. Even if it flips over, it's shallow and there are people there to help you get out. Don't crash into people. That's the story for ANY crash landing. #1 priority is to avoid injury to people on the ground. No matter what, limit the chance of human casualties.