Tink1717

Anyone from Portland or that area here?

Thinking of ditching Baltimore for better digs. I hear Portland (Oregon) is cool. What's the scoop?

ETA: Oregon, because I keep forgetting about Maine.:S
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

I hear Portland (Oregon) is cool.

There are four seasons and no drought forecast, an active counter culture, great variety of micro-brew pubs, a very active bicycle community, and turbine skydiving. Plan on renting though as median home prices are currently inflated and will settle when reality returns.

Vskydiver and I live to the north in Olympia, WA. Portland is one of our favorite "getaway" towns. Music, arts, great mass transit, brew pubs, cool vibe. It would be a great place to live. There are several DZs to the south, and our own Kapowsin, with a Super Otter and Super Caravan, is just a few hours north. B|

My wife's from Portland so we're up there a lot. Great for biking, and excellent place for beer, for three reasons:

1) Great breweries
2) Beer culture that drives breweries to do odd things, like Voodoo Donut beer (OK so that one didn't work)
3) Comprehensive pubic transit so you don't have to drive.

The Pearl district is being built out quickly and has a bunch of new restaurants and breweries. Car traffic is nuts during rush hour so be warned.

A lot of what you'll experience depends on where you live and work. If you live near a MAX line then it's easier to get into the city.

Hi John,

and our own Kapowsin, with a Super Otter and Super Caravan, is just a few hours north.

Yup; Jay Gile ( good bud ) and some others trek up that way due to the lack of RW-types in this area.

Kap is one nice dz; and I've known Jesse since the 60's, when we both were just young'uns.

Jerry Baumchen

So, I hearing cool things. But at this point my questions, in no particular order re:
1. What's the real story on the rain in the area? Does it really rain for four months straight in the winter?
2. What's the cost of living there? Gas? Housing?
3. Would it be practical to go car free there?
4. Are there any colleges in the area?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

Tink1717

So, I hearing cool things. But at this point my questions, in no particular order re:
1. What's the real story on the rain in the area? Does it really rain for four months straight in the winter?
2. What's the cost of living there? Gas? Housing?
3. Would it be practical to go car free there?
4. Are there any colleges in the area?

1. Last 4 days have been cold and clear. Did some light hiking, etc. But when it rains it does tend to be the gray, light drizzle that can last for days.

2. Housing is a little pricey, from what I've seen and heard. Gas is a touch high, and there are no self-serve stations in OR. Smart shopping can help with food. No sales tax on anything but there is state income tax.

3. Portland has a great light rail and downtown trolley system that I envy for Seattle. We sometimes visit by catching Amtrak down and going carless the whole visit. B|

4.Quite a few colleges, many brewpubs, soon to have a wind tunnel. It's a very livable town, depending on how you like hipsters. ;):D

Someplace where I can get a second B.S.. This time in a field I can actually use, like I.T. Public schools preferred over private ones.