bigway

name change. john's idea

i am curious about what rig is the most popular, sought after rig on the market. In other words what company has the most rigs out there in the states. If you know please answer. Also i am curious to know how many skydivers there are in the world. i have heard the numbers are as low as 200,000. Any input?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I'm quite certain the answer to your first question is Javelin. As for the second one, I have a 1996 IPC survey that was conducted in 41 countries and puts the number of skydivers at around 320000. So 'a couple hundred thousand' is probably near the truth.;)

does anyone know...

You would probably get a better response if you changed your thread title to something relevant to your question. Suggestion: "What is the most popular rig?" A large number of people skip over, without reading, threads which have meaningless titles.

Javelin is extremely popular currently, but historically you've got Vector and Racers that are in the running too.

I know it flucutats more by area...but I do not see many racers...I see mostly Jav, Vector (I have a micron) and Mirage.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Mirage was'nt a player since before about '96 or so.

Whoops...i missed that he wanted overall...not just currently :$
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

It varies a lot country by country too.

For example Javelins are popular world wide, but I'm sure they are more popular in the states than elsewhere. The Teardrop is popular in the UK, but I'm told its almost unheard of in the states.

In the next couple of years, I can see the Aerodyne Icon becoming popular (partly because of the success of their canopies), and also Relative Workshop's Vector 3, because of the Skyhook system.

i just spent 4000quid on a brand new set of equipment, everything, wings, main, reserve, camera helmet, 2jumpsuits, pro ditter, alti. All this was meant to arrive in the uk for me for the summer, so i get a job and a flat in andover near netheravon, and my gear is finally arriving and i think with the weather in this country we might just pack and go to oz for the summer there. I really want to jump this gear but am thinking that i will not get much of a chance here in the uk with all this rain and wind. Good deal though for 4000quid, everything is custom.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

i just spent 4000quid on a brand new set of equipment, everything, wings, main, reserve, camera helmet, 2jumpsuits, pro ditter, alti. All this was meant to arrive in the uk for me for the summer, so i get a job and a flat in andover near netheravon, and my gear is finally arriving and i think with the weather in this country we might just pack and go to oz for the summer there. I really want to jump this gear but am thinking that i will not get much of a chance here in the uk with all this rain and wind. Good deal though for 4000quid, everything is custom.

(For the Yanks a Quid in Australia is $2)
Is that $4000NZ quid or 4000 pounds quid??
4000NZ quid would be a decent price (aprox $7300Aussie sheckles)
4000 pounds would be OUT Fuggingragously expensive:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

so i get a job and a flat in andover near netheravon, and...

(For the Yanks a Quid in Australia is $2)
...Is that $4000NZ quid or 4000 pounds quid??
4000NZ quid would be a decent price (aprox $7300Aussie sheckles)
4000 pounds would be OUT Fuggingragously expensive...

Sounds like England to me, not Australia or NZ. More information on Netheravon below. Recommend you visit and jump there if you get a chance. Great DZ!

pms

FYI:...The Army Parachute Association (APA) is based at Airfield Camp in Netheravon Wiltshire. It is probably the oldest parachute club in the world and is the centre where parachuting, as a sport, was born in the U.K. Not many clubs have a pedigree going back to the very early days of freefall parachuting. 1962 was the year that the APA was formed, and it has gone from strength to strength since that date to become the premier parachuting club in this country...

FYI:...The Army Parachute Association (APA) is based at Airfield Camp in Netheravon Wiltshire. It is probably the oldest parachute club in the world and is the centre where parachuting, as a sport, was born in the U.K. Not many clubs have a pedigree going back to the very early days of freefall parachuting. 1962 was the year that the APA was formed, and it has gone from strength to strength since that date to become the premier parachuting club in this country...

Sorry to rain on your parade (literally!) but it's not even the oldest club in the UK...Check out Skydive Strathallan (Scottish Parachute Club), which was founded in April 1960, and still does 10,000-12,000 jumps a year on weekends. Oh, and Netheravon isn't a club, it's a centre...:P (And they have a mandatory AAD rule now >:()
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies