Squeak

The King is Dead

RIP BB King an absolute Legend in out lifetime.
His music has been part of the soundtrack of my life from the very start.
Had the absolute pleasure of seeing him perform live.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The thrill remains. I had the pleasure to see him live a few times. But thinking of the legends he helped make. Everyone from Hendrix to Clapton to Gibbons were influenced by him.

One of those guys that everybody loved regardless of whether they were hard-core blues lovers. Just say "BB" and everyone knows who you are talking about.

And he was better as a man than he was as a legendary musician. The dude was 80 years old and playing a couple of hundred shows per year. Despite that I can't think of anyone who ever had a bad thing to say about him. Not once did I ever hear or read anything bad about him. For a guy with a 70 year career in entertainment and in the public eye that alone speaks volumes.

It showed onstage. He exuded energy and warmth and so did his band. Compared to others like Buddy Guy (brilliant but grouchy and impatient) or Otis Rush (like Clapton he was technically great but wooden - make a mistake guys!) BB made the blues not just sad or exciting or fun but happy. I never walked away from a BB King show with the feeling that I'd seen a virtuoso or been blown away in any respect. I just felt good and happy.

There wont be another BB. Ever. But he sure as hell lives on.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

A good article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/arts/music/b-b-king-blues-singer-dies-at-89.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

"Mr. King recounted how he came to sing the blues.

“Growing up on the plantation there in Mississippi, I would work Monday through Saturday noon,” he said. “I’d go to town on Saturday afternoons, sit on the street corner, and I’d sing and play.

“I’d have me a hat or box or something in front of me. People that would request a gospel song would always be very polite to me, and they’d say: ‘Son, you’re mighty good. Keep it up. You’re going to be great one day.’ But they never put anything in the hat.

“But people that would ask me to sing a blues song would always tip me and maybe give me a beer. They always would do something of that kind. Sometimes I’d make 50 or 60 dollars one Saturday afternoon. Now you know why I’m a blues singer.”"

Saw him a couple years back playing with Buddy Guy. I remember telling my friends that we need to see him any chance we get because he is not going to be around much longer.

Sad news but not unexpected. I'll have my BB King play list on all weekend.

lawrocket

There wont be another BB. Ever. But he sure as hell lives on.

there it is

Other world class musicians nearly worshipped BB.
That's how good he really was.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes, a sad day indeed. :(

However, I agree with what everyone has written already! Always wished I could have had the opportunity to hear him live.

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!