JohnMitchell

Stupid Pedestrians

ryoder

That drives me crazy.
There is a small subset of drivers who think there is a whole different set of traffic rules that engage when a bike is present. I refuse to go when they make pointless stops. I have actually had a driver stop on a thru street and motion for me to go, (I was at a stop sign), while there was 40mph traffic blowing by in the other 3 lanes of the 4-lane street! Doing stupid, unpredictable things gets people hurt.

THIS ^^^ x1000

kind and deferring drivers are just as reckless and dangerous on the road as selfish asshole drivers

driving is not about being 'conservative', or 'polite', or 'aggressive', etc etc etc. It's about being predictable. That's what the rules are for. Doing something out of the ordinary (even for kind reasons) is stupid and unsafe. Take your turn, stop completely when you are supposed to stop, turn into the correct lanes, take your right of way when it's yours, DON"T take the right of way when it's not yours, etc etc etc

when it's the other guy's turn and he is sitting there trying to wave me through, I just wait for my turn. he's holding up everyone by being stupid

beautiful thing this morning on the way into work - this car was waiting to make a right turn onto two lane. She was waiting for the facing traffic to turn left into the left lane, even though the right lane (hers) was open. Three other cars were stuck waiting behind her. There was no right of way conflict. I'm coming up on the intersection. The space clears a bit and she then makes a right turn into the far lane (now clear), drives about 100 feet and then lane changes back into the right lane - which she should have turned into in the first place

I'm amazed the race hasn't gone extinct

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

JohnMitchell

Hey pedestrians, you're outweighed by automobiles by a factor of 10 to 20. You just may want to pay a little more attention. And don't even think about learning to skydive. I don't want your stupid attitude in the air anywhere around me. >:(

This isa problem, but with an obvious solution. We simply require our students to leave their mobile on the ground. Can't believe you didn't think of that. :S
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Andy9o8

Speaking of subrogation, once your MV carrier paid on your UM/UIM claim, your carrier had the right to pursue subrogation against the other guy to get its money back from him, since it was his fault.

Yeah IIRC they figured out pretty quickly the guy had nothing to go after.

I hate people like that.

Bottom line, if you can afford a fucking car, you should be able to afford the fucking insurance. :|

The guy who hit Krisanne did have insurance, Billy - the legal minimum amount required by that state's law. But her damages exceeded the limits of liability of his policy, so her own insurance had to kick in to cover the remainder.

What she's saying is that after the other guy's policy limits were exhausted, he didn't have enough personal assets of his own to make it worth while going after him for reimbursement (subrogation) of what her own carrier had to pay on her behalf. Blood from a stone, and all that.

Ah, my bad... I understand it now.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Baksteen

***Hey pedestrians, you're outweighed by automobiles by a factor of 10 to 20. You just may want to pay a little more attention. And don't even think about learning to skydive. I don't want your stupid attitude in the air anywhere around me. >:(

This isa problem, but with an obvious solution. We simply require our students to leave their mobile on the ground. Can't believe you didn't think of that. :S

:D:D I feel you may be joking. Of course we don't let our students take phones on skydives.:)
I was talking more about attitude than hardware, the over reliance on painted lines (or AADs) to keep one safe. :)

rehmwa

kind and deferring drivers are just as reckless and dangerous on the road as selfish asshole drivers

driving is not about being 'conservative', or 'polite', or 'aggressive', etc etc etc. It's about being predictable. That's what the rules are for. Doing something out of the ordinary (even for kind reasons) is stupid and unsafe.

This right here.B|

On my bike or even in my car I've had to point to the stop sign I was obeying so the car without the stop sign would just go. :)

JohnMitchell

driving is not about being 'conservative', or 'polite', or 'aggressive', etc etc etc. It's about being predictable. That's what the rules are for. Doing something out of the ordinary (even for kind reasons) is stupid and unsafe.

This right here.B|

On my bike or even in my car I've had to point to the stop sign I was obeying so the car without the stop sign would just go. :)
The topic of overly-polite drivers has been discussed at length on bikeforums.net, and an attorney made this point:
Who has the right-of-way is dictated by law, and the operator of a vehicle cannot give his legal right-of-way to someone else.

e.g. a motorist with the right-of-way stops at a cross-street for a cyclist waiting at a stop sign.
One of the following might happen:
a) The motorist gets rear-ended by another motorist, possibly pushing him into the crossing cyclist.
b) Another motorist (from either direction) passes the stopped motorist, hitting the crossing cyclist.
c) The stopped motorist might step on the gas (for whatever reason) just as the cyclist crosses.

In every case, the cyclist will be legally at fault because he pulled out in front the vehicle which had the right-of-way!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well, I've said it before, but I think it's worth repeating... I don't think humans were designed to cope with moving at speeds greater than something like 20mph (maybe a bit more). I'm not saying we should all start walking/running everywhere, but I am saying it's not very clever to just assume you are safe when you are extremely vulnerable (cyclists, bikers, pedestrians)... Even when you *do* have the right of way, it's better to be alive and annoyed than correct and dead. It's everyone's responsibility to avoid accidents - unfortunately sometimes the only way to avoid an accident is to anticipate the fucked up behaviour of other people who are doing everything wrong.

Kudos to you, John, for noticing that the girl's attention was focused away from the road. B|

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

You might be on to something, N@. Our caveman (or cavewoman) brains have not adapted to the internal combustion engine and its higher speeds. :D

Just today I had another close incident. A bike crossed the street against the light opposite of my direction of travel and against traffic. As I started to pull forward to make a right hand turn on the red light, he suddenly veered 90 degrees left right in front of me and glared as I slapped the brakes. A little pissed, I rolled down my window and said "Sorry, I didn't know you were going to turn in front of me." No signal, of course. :S

..... Speaking of subrogation, it wouldn't have been just your health ins carrier that had the right to subrogate. Once your MV carrier paid on your UM/UIM claim, your MV carrier did have the right to pursue subrogation against the other guy to get its money back from him, since it was his fault.

.........................................................................................
Subrogation has become the newest swear word in my vocabulary. As many of you know, I got dragged into an eight year long personal-injury lawsuit after a King Air crash. Victims' mental health gets forgotten after eight years of courtroom wrangling. Eight years of courtroom wrangling has done far more secondary psychological damage than a year's work-place bullying or the original accident!!!

The latest foolishness involves Great West Life demanding that I reimburse them for my rehab expenses .... During a period when they routinely refused my requests for help.

JohnMitchell

You might be on to something, N@. Our caveman (or cavewoman) brains have not adapted to the internal combustion engine and its higher speeds. :D

Just today I had another close incident. A bike crossed the street against the light opposite of my direction of travel and against traffic. As I started to pull forward to make a right hand turn on the red light, he suddenly veered 90 degrees left right in front of me and glared as I slapped the brakes. A little pissed, I rolled down my window and said "Sorry, I didn't know you were going to turn in front of me." No signal, of course. :S

A long time ago, I nearly got run over by a very pissed off cyclist who yelled at me "oy - watch where you're going" as he sped by... I was walking and crossing the road I knew to be a one-way street... Somehow it never occured to me to look and see if anyone was coming from THE WRONG DIRECTION... Anyhoo, lesson learned... Never assume that people will follow the rules and always look BOTH ways before crossing (even when crossing a one-way street).
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss