r.panfil

B-License questions

I was wondering if anybody could let me know what steps I need to take (other than jump numbers) to go about getting my b license. Also what sections in the sim do I need to focus on for the test?
If its called free fall then why the hell is it so expensive?

Persons holding a USPA B license are able to exercise all privileges of an A-license holder, perform night jumps, with 100 jumps are eligible for the USPA Coach Rating, and must have:
A. Obtained a USPA A license.
B. Completed 50 jumps including:
1. Accumulated at least 30 minutes of controlled freefall time.
2. Landed within 10 meters of target center on 10 jumps.
C. Aerial performance requirements, either:
1. Demonstrated the ability to perform individual maneuvers (left 360, right 360, backloop, left 360, right 360, backloop) in freefall in 18 seconds or less.
2. Or successful completion of the planned formation(s) on ten group freefall jumps.
D. Documentation of live water landing training with full equipment in accordance with the procedures in the Skydiver's Information Manual.
E. Passed a written exam conducted by a current USPA I, I/E, S&TA, or USPA Board member.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

In US here is what you want:

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section3/tabid/165/Default.aspx#654

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/AppendixB/tabid/175/Default.aspx

Keep your eyes open for potential changes to these requirements. I would not be surprised at all to see the above change in the near future to include canopy skills beyond accuracy alone. I am only speculating... But it seems likely to me.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I just got my B license in January. The second link Glideangle provided is everything you need to study for the written exam. For the aerial maneuvers, it is either/or. If you have logbook documentation of 10 successful planned formation group free fall jumps, you don't need the other. I'm only guessing that you would need to do the aerial maneuvers with an instructor if you don't qualify on the 10 group jump section. Don't forget about the water training.

As far as the group jumps go, what do I need to have done to considered my jumps as "group freefalls" very few of my jumps have been solos and all of the rest have been 2 or 3 ways. we planned each of them, so would these count towards the requirement? Lol as for the water training, its winter in il. Im not getting in any water for a wile! thanks for the input
If its called free fall then why the hell is it so expensive?

If you have log entries that show successful completion of formations which are two way or greater, you should be golden.

Emphasis mine.

I am occasionally asked why my log entries are often a paragraph or more.
By logging the details (names of all the jumpers, points planned, points made) of jumps, I have documentation of jumps that meet requirements of both my B and C licenses (I still have to get my %#@&*&% water training).

One good reason to log each and every jump, in detail.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

All the questions you have asked are answered in the SIM.
By asking them, it tells me you haven't read the SIM.
Please read it...and read it again.
There's life-saving information in there.

You're scaring the hell out of an old fart.
:D:D:P

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As far as the group jumps go, what do I need to have done to considered my jumps as "group freefalls" very few of my jumps have been solos and all of the rest have been 2 or 3 ways. we planned each of them, so would these count towards the requirement? Lol as for the water training, its winter in il. Im not getting in any water for a wile! thanks for the input

yes, if you have a plan with 2 or more people, and you dive that plan, it is a successful "group formation" jump.

the biggest deal is going to be the water training. not everywhere offers it anytime.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

successful completion of formations which are two way or greater,

:D:DThis one always makes me laugh. Back in The Day, when men were men and so were the women, we usually did no-contact exits, so this had some meaning.

Not only do many of today's aircraft allow for large linked exits, but the good jumpers are so good that often all a novice has to do is fall stable, and the formation will build around them. 

I see this fairly often when SCR jumps are being organized.   There will be the low jump number candidate surrounded by seven experts.  Often the experts include several World Team record holders.  When I see this I smile and think to myself.... The odds of that formation failing to build are vanishingly small! I am not complaining... The maggots still get mighty wet and cold, and the old dogs still get free beer. 
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

All the questions you have asked are answered in the SIM.
By asking them, it tells me you haven't read the SIM.
Please read it...and read it again.
There's life-saving information in there.

You're scaring the hell out of an old fart.
:D:D:P

Actually - this thread is likely now longer than the License Requirements section of the SIM. It took more effort to put up the post and to check it frequently than it would have to just read those chapters.

r.panfil - if you are really serious about moving through the progression, just sit down and read the whole thing. It's not that bad.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My thoughts exactly...

:S

Since when are you an old fart?
:P

Being an "old fart" isn't a matter of age alone.

If you think:

People should find what they are looking for by looking where it's published.

People should follow rules and recommendations

People are responsible for each other, at least to a certain degree, and should do their best to stop stupid people from doing stupid things (not always possible to do, but we should at least try)

People should use common sense and common courtesy as much as possible

Well, then you are probably an "old fart".[:/]
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Reminds me of an 8-way I was on a while back for a guy's 100th jump. The rest of the group were either very expert RW jumpers or honest-to-God world record holding mega-experts.
Just before exit, I told the other low-timer, "If you and I get together, this jump will work." Sure enough, he and I completed a 2-way and held on while the other six built it into an 8-way. It's fun to jump with people who can make things work.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

If you think:

I LIKE that!

I was brought up to do things like:

Hold the door for the person behind me (especially for a woman)
Say please and thank you. And sir and ma'am
Pull out a chair for a lady

You know, basic manners.

I've also learned that I'm not "special" nor do I have "mad skilz". I can fuck up with the best (worst?) of them. Broken bones hurt and take a long time to heal. And that people giving advice often do have my best interests in mind, and have often learned the lessons the hard way.

So, I'm an "old fart". I'm perfectly ok with that concept. :)
BFD. I'll visit the young'uns that do have "mad skilz" in the hospital.

And then head out to the the DZ and jump. :P

My thoughts exactly...

:S

Since when are you an old fart?
:P

If you think:

People should find what they are looking for by looking where it's published.

People should follow rules and recommendations

People are responsible for each other, at least to a certain degree, and should do their best to stop stupid people from doing stupid things (not always possible to do, but we should at least try)

People should use common sense and common courtesy as much as possible

Well, then you are probably an "old fart".[:/]

What you have described is what used to considered normal behavior in just about any civilized society in the world. You see much less of this behavior now and probably even less will be seen in the future. Sad. [:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals