NewGuy2005

Chronic Chapped Lips?

As I have gotten older, I've started having trouble with chapped lips. At first, it was winter only and now it is year round. I was applying Neutrogena lip balm at least five or six times a day in order to keep it in check.

A couple of months ago I went to the dermatologist for something else, but I asked him about my chapped lip problem. He said i should use Dr Dan's Corti-Balm. It sounds like something you would see on an infomercial.

I've been using it for about a month and it works great. I just put on a little, once a day. One problem: It tastes awful.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with these people.

Use lip balm/Chapstick/petroleum jelly at a last resort. Drink water. Then some more water. And when your lips feel dry, drink some more water. Chapstick is great, but too much is harmful. As someone who lives way above sea level in a dry ass climate, staying hydrated is way healthier than constantly applying lip balm.

My nurse sister-in-law has mentioned that Neosporin is right up there with antibacterial soap in helping to select for stronger and stronger germs; all the weak ones are killed off by Neosporin and/or antibacterial soap.
She advocates using petroleum jelly and just keeping things covered. I found that the Vaseline brand Chapstick works better for me, but just general good skin care also helps. But I don't have chronic chapped lips; that would really suck.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

hydration and get yourself some non-toxic lip balm, since it gets eaten. i like Hurraw lip balms (sold on iherb or vitacost)

on other hand, you might want to check your sugar levels and if thyroid is working properly..
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

NewGuy2005

As I have gotten older, I've started having trouble with chapped lips.

If that's the only thing you have issues with in your later years, you are a lucky guy indeed!

Well, I just give up and use Chapstick whenever it feels like I need to. I know that it is not the best stuff, but when they now have flavors such as "Cake Batter", well, what is there not to like?

I keep it at my computer, in the car, in the airplane, and in the skydiving logbook cover. No kidding.

(Do you suppose they have Pumpkin Spice? I bet you are all going to check the next time you are in Walmart, right?)

Added -
Well, we all might as well just go there now:
http://www.chapstick.com/
(Pumpkin Pie actually.)

peek

***As I have gotten older, I've started having trouble with chapped lips.

If that's the only thing you have issues with in your later years, you are a lucky guy indeed!

Ha!!! Have a seat and I will make you a list! Luckily, I have had some problems, but appear to have been cured of them. My heart and lungs work great, so I am fairly active.