SkydiveNFlorida

Do you Voodoo? Tell me about your rig!

Here's good BOC vs. Pull-out thread , I know enough to read everything Bill Booth writes a few times due to his expierence in the sport.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=114198;search_string=throw%20out%20vs;#114198

Gotta love him!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I worked at Rigging Innovations, pull-outs on represented 5% of production.
I currently have a Voodoo in my shop for pull-out to throw-out conversion. Both owners have had too many reserve rides that they blame on pull-out.

Wow, that stinks. And after reading that link to Bill Booth's opinion/experiences, i'm really reconsiering pullouts. He says that the pull out system does not allow you to simply toss the pc into the airstream, but instead, in order to get it out of your burble, you must alter your body position a bit which causes the jumper problems on a loaded elliptical. I am not looking to have unstable deployments on my parachute. Maybe I need to stick with boc, i've never had any problems with it.

-A

And after reading that link to Bill Booth's opinion/experiences, i'm really reconsiering pullouts. He says that the pull out system does not allow you to simply toss the pc into the airstream, but instead, in order to get it out of your burble, you must alter your body position a bit which causes the jumper problems on a loaded elliptical.

100% un-true. I have video proof of my ability to get the P/C into the airstream, as well as a coupe sucessful deployments (ok more than a couple);)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have no problem with getting my p/c into clean air. But the Voodoo does take awhile to get used to with a pull out.
I changed over to pull out from BOC when I bought my new Voodoo container, but it was different for me to reach behind and find the pud...

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I have a V0, and really like it a lot. It's comfy as all get out, and looks awesome. It fits a PDR 113. I also, like others, found that the pud with the freefly handle took some getting used to. My friend has a pud with a hackey, and I think if I were going to order a new one, I may look at that option. I find the handle is oddly shaped for the location, it's too far to the outside of your back, or too high... either way, takes some getting used to. Definately do some hop n pops to get comfortable with it.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

As for fugly? Dues, there is a pussy on the back of every Voodoo.

I got a Voodoo without the pussy symbol, used , a staff rig that I didn't order custom. I'm sure Sandy would make you one that way too. Just be prepared to have people ask if its a Talon. Few riggers like the way the Voodoo looks if the main is not packed a certain way and the good looks are easier to come by on the smaller ones. I personnally love the tear drop shape of them but I am a twisted individual.

I have a V0, and really like it a lot. It's comfy as all get out, and looks awesome. It fits a PDR 113. I also, like others, found that the pud with the freefly handle took some getting used to. My friend has a pud with a hackey, and I think if I were going to order a new one, I may look at that option. I find the handle is oddly shaped for the location, it's too far to the outside of your back, or too high... either way, takes some getting used to. Definately do some hop n pops to get comfortable with it.

Do you have a pic? I'd love to see how it looks on.

thx.
Angela.

I do voodoo. Here's my V3 with a Sam 105. It doesn't look too bad as the Sam 105s pack up a bit bigger.

-R

Do you have a pic? I'd love to see how it looks on.

thx.
Angela.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I don't have a pic of it on actually... here's what it looks like off

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

PRICING : Ok, on the RI website it lists the retail price as 1675$. On the websites that sell the gear, it says 1875$. What's up with that?? !!

DETAILS : Would wide leg straps be too large for a girl? How do I know what length risers I need? My current risers are 21" on my Javelin, but my boyfriend has 21" risers on his Voodoo and has longer arms than me. Does that mean I need shorter risers on a Voodoo?

Do most of you not need a bungee on your rigs? My boyfriend doesn't not need a bungee for freeflying, how can I be sure mine will fit so well?

Also, what size pilot chute do I need? I'm getting the pullout deployment system, does this mean I don't need as large a pilot chute since I pull the pin myself?

thx.
Angela

Bill Booth's thoughts on a pull out system

Enjoy the new rig, regardless of what you decide.

Blues,
Ian

Already read that and debated it. I am pretty certain i'm getting it, though, a lot of people like them and I want to try it out.

Any answers to my other questions, tho?? Risers, pilot chute, legstraps, price?

thx.
Angela.

Would wide leg straps be too large for a girl?

Call 'em and ask.

How do I know what length risers I need? My current risers are 21" on my Javelin, but my boyfriend has 21" risers on his Voodoo and has longer arms than me. Does that mean I need shorter risers on a Voodoo?

If you're comfy with the 21" risers now then keep 'em. You like swooping too, so the longer the better.

Do most of you not need a bungee on your rigs? My boyfriend doesn't not need a bungee for freeflying, how can I be sure mine will fit so well?

I have one on mine, but I don't own a voodoo. Try not having one at first. If you find you need it later a rigger can easily (for under 5 bucks) sow the 2 tabs you need on. That's what I did.

Also, what size pilot chute do I need? I'm getting the pullout deployment system, does this mean I don't need as large a pilot chute since I pull the pin myself?

The pilot chute still has to lift the bag out of the container and off your back. Pilot chute size should be the same as if you were using a throw out IMO.

Hope this helps.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

PRICING : Ok, on the RI website it lists the retail price as 1675$. On the websites that sell the gear, it says 1875$. What's up with that?? !!

Current retail sales price as set by the manufacturer is $1875. Add $250 if you'd like Full Stainless steel.

Most dealers will discount the base price to some extent.

DETAILS : Would wide leg straps be too large for a girl? How do I know what length risers I need? My current risers are 21" on my Javelin, but my boyfriend has 21" risers on his Voodoo and has longer arms than me. Does that mean I need shorter risers on a Voodoo?

It may. The Voodoo (and all RI harnesses) seem to suspent people with the rings higher on the shoulders thus making the distance drom the shoulder to the end of the riser longer. Do you struggle to reach your slider now?

Take your measurments well. The RI harness usually has a very steep leg strap angle. Most people I know who jump one and freefly, use the bungiee

I prefer a 28" ZP for everything, but the fact it's a pull out does not mean you should use a smaller one.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It may. The Voodoo (and all RI harnesses) seem to suspent people with the rings higher on the shoulders thus making the distance drom the shoulder to the end of the riser longer. Do you struggle to reach your slider now?

No, I have perfect reach, not too short, not too long. I actually have a pair of 22"ers that were too long, I bought the 21" later on. Knowing that 1" can make that much of a difference, I don't want to end up in a bind if I get the wrong risers. I'm going to call and talk to Sandy on Monday, he's already gone for the day now.

Brenda at RI said the pilot chutes come in different sizes with the different sized rigs. For the V0, I believe she said 26".

Thanks guys for helping me out!
Angela.

I think the legstraps would be ok. I'm male, but I'm small too. The DW straps will be like cardboard and feel like they're going to saw you in half as you walk... for the first 10 jumps or so... after that, you'll never want anything else again. I found the risers I got with my V0 to be much shorter than my J1, I'm going to get longer ones in the near future. (no, I'm not sure what size they are,)

S.E.X. party #1

I think the legstraps would be ok. I'm male, but I'm small too. The DW straps will be like cardboard and feel like they're going to saw you in half as you walk... for the first 10 jumps or so... after that, you'll never want anything else again. I found the risers I got with my V0 to be much shorter than my J1, I'm going to get longer ones in the near future. (no, I'm not sure what size they are,)

I was told they recommend the narrow straps for anyone with thigh circumference of <=20", I measured mine and they are 22.5", but I know a guy who got the narrow and likes them.

Also, do you have to use a bungee for freeflying?

Do you think you'd need the same length risers you had on your Javelin. What i'm trying to find out is if the threerings sit in a different place on both rigs, causing the voodoo to require shorter risers that the same person would have on a Javelin to get the same reach.

Thx.
Angela.