kallend

Ad blocking software

Apparently some companies are upset that their ads aren't being seen or their business model is disturbed by ad blockers:

www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/business/international/smartphone-ad-blocking-software-mobile.html?_r=0

I have been using the web since days of text-only browsers and have yet to buy anything as a result of an ad "delivered" by the internet. If some MBA toting idiot thinks I WANT to see his company's ads, he/she is gravely mistaken. In fact, ads "delivered" to me against my will are more likely to lead me to reject the product than buy it.

What EXACTLY do these companies think they are achieving by forcing me to read (and pay for the data usage of) their crap against my will?

If their business model is so firmly based in the print media model of the 19th Century, maybe they need a new business model rather than pissing off their users.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Subliminal advertising is what I think their strategy is. That's why I consciously try to look at all ads and roadside billboards. That way they don't get implanted in my sub-conscious where they could effect a decision at a later date.

almost guaranteed than when i click on a link to anything and the first thing that pops up is a page-covering ad, or a banner complaining about my ad-blocker (and that I might not achieve the 'full experience' of their website because of it), generally means that this is the last time I will ever visit their website.

When I have time and for sites I actually care about seeing, I do take the time to send them an email and tell them of my decision.

If their business model is so firmly based in the print media model of the 19th Century, maybe they need a new business model rather than pissing off their users.

It is annoying. I nearly always just close the page and move on. If the link that brought me there is especially interesting I will unblock that page only. But not often.

All these companies are struggling to find a new model. We all want free stuff, but nothing that people produce can ever be free.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

All these companies are struggling to find a new model. We all want free stuff, but nothing that people produce can ever be free.

I understand that, but how does forcing me to see something that I explicitly wish not to see help the company doing the forcing? All it does is create hostility towards said company.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

I understand that, but how does forcing me to see something that I explicitly wish not to see help the company doing the forcing? All it does is create hostility towards said company.

I can almost tolerate that.... but I LUV the fact I can block certain people on Facebook at least.... especially the "friends" of some of the people I do care to see their posts from here.

I completely share your perspective on those damn ads.
If they do get by the adblock, I can't click fast enough to make it go away, which pisses me off! :D
We even mute the commercials on TV as neither of us would ever ask a doctor about a script based on a tv commercial.

If I need or want a product, I will search it out on my own.

I despise US marketing.

There are on-line ads and then there are on-line ads.

A static ad which takes up a bit of screen space and I'm not forced to interact with is AND DOESN'T SPY ON ME, in my opinion, not that much of a burden. An analogy in print would be an ad in a newspaper taking up a few column inches I can choose to look at or ignore at my leisure.

An ad which takes over the screen, music blaring, video gobbling up bandwidth, AND COOKIES SPYING ON ME, is, again in my opinion, going a bit too far.

While this is annoying as hell on a desktop, this is outright theft of my cellular data plan on mobile.

I will take any and all measures to block ads as much as I can on my cell phone.

Why the advertisers don't understand it's a financial burden to the user view ads on cellular is beyond me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

One can use Firefox with the No-Script plugin and avoid everything effortlessly.

Or one can use Lynx.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Based on his comment of, (and pay for the data usage of) I assumed he meant his phone. I use Firefox on Android and when I tried to download the adblocker to it; my only choice was to download the adblock browser for android. If you know a way to embed adblock into FF on an android phone, please share. I'd like that.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

normiss

Agreed the cell phones are a different platform issue than simply browsers.
I use 1block for the iPhone - personal one anyway, work one I couldn't be bothered to care about. :)

Some research shows that Mozilla has been working on an embedded ABP for FF for Androids. Just "added-on" ABP Version 2.7.3

Download Page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/adblock-plus/

List of version builds: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/adblock-plus/versions/

Unfortunately, they will not release their betas to android phones. Safe reasoning I'm sure.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.