keithbar

evidently twin otters are quite cold hardy

I know I'm a couple days late but anyone else see where they had to rescue the two people from Antarctica ? and the plane of choice was a twin otter. B| wonder what they had to do special to make it withstand a hundred plus degrees below zero.?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

That isn't the first time a twin otter has been used for that task. I know of 4 or 5 other times I have heard it happening.
What they may have done special to make it happen I don't know. But maybe some oil and fuel heaters or a low temp oil at least.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Wow. I hope they had a shoe for the top of the door.

:P

(Yes, I know it probably didn't have a jump door on it)

Seriously, probably not all that much. Extra insulation for the occupants. Maybe fuel tank heaters.

Oh yeah, do not, under any circumstances, shut down.

It's a great STOL plane. Perfect for the place. It was a Canadian plane, so it's probably already set up for the cold.

I thought they used C-130s for that, but apparently, they can't during winter.

NPR story:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/22/483121098/risky-south-pole-rescue-succeeds-as-2-patients-are-airlifted-out

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

These winter rescue flights to Antarctica are usually contracted to Canadian operator Ken Borek Aviation, based in Calgary, Alberta.

Borek owns the world's largest civilian Twin Otter fleet and flies world-wide from tourists in the Maldives and Greece though to scheduled service to Resolute, NWT.

One of my former jump-aircraft pilots moved to Borek from our operation and was the co-pilot that rescued Dr. Ron Shemenski from the Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station in the first ever rescue from the South Pole during polar winter.

A few US-based skydiving Otters that have required the 25K hour maintenance to their wing structures have had the work performed in Calgary by Borek.

And more than a few Canadian skydivers are, or have been, Borek employees.

Their fleet:

Turbine DC-3: 7
King Air: 7
Beech 99: 2
Beech 1900: 1
DHC-6 Otter: 26

One of the reasons they use them is the dependability of twin PT-6s coupled with all cable control systems. Most newer aircraft of that size have hydraulic actuated controls. The oil won't flow well at such low temperatures.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Last night I watched "Antarctica: A Year on Ice" (2013): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2361700/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDJzjomSN94

There is a lot of amazing time-lapse photography.
And the Antarctic skies are unbelievable, and not just for the aurora australis.
The discussions of the psychological aspects of spending time there was also interesting.

BTW Something they never explained were the references to "T3".
They are referring to "Polar T3 Syndrome", which is a lowering of the T3 thyroid hormone, primarily due to the cold exposure, and the darkness.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.