LannerFalcon

Mirage vs Javelin

Many thanx foreverbodies advice. I must admit the fact that so many people appear to jump javelins makes me think they must be 'the' rig.

I have done some research, I heard that the Javelin has caused premature deployments as its cover is not well protected against the wind when sit flying etc (something i hope do learn soon)?

I've looked at the teardrop, there seemed to be a bit of negativity about its construction re; the rsl etc:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1143436;search_string=teardrop%20;#1143436

All very complicated!!Is a shame there is a 'which' rig magazine!

Break now Jester!

Many thanx foreverbodies advice. I must admit the fact that so many people appear to jump javelins makes me think they must be 'the' rig.

I have done some research, I heard that the Javelin has caused premature deployments as its cover is not well protected against the wind when sit flying etc (something i hope do learn soon)?

I've looked at the teardrop, there seemed to be a bit of negativity about its construction re; the rsl etc:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1143436;search_string=teardrop%20;#1143436

All very complicated!!Is a shame there is a 'which' rig magazine!

clicky:
(just hit the 'url' button below the text box before and after the URL of the page you want to link to)

yeah, I agree, I don't like the RSL set-up - I got one with my SF and had it removed after about 60 jumps or so

I would say it's no real issue for me, get a Cypres, don't get the RSL and never rely on any device like that anyway.

I don't believe there's one rig that's way above evrything else in safety, durability, craftsmanship, funcionality etc.
rather, there are many good ones, with some differences that make them better suited to different people

back-up service means a LOT

soon to be gone

Is it true about premature dployments and the javelin?

Considering the sheer number of Javs out there (probably the most popular rig) and the abscence of reports about that, I dont think thats much of a problem.

Disclaimer: I'm not even a Jav fan :D (again, purely personal 100% subjective view, would never not recommend one)
Remster

>Reserve Pop Top
>Mirage: Internal
>Javelin: External

I'd have to classify the Javelin as an internal PC. The container closes/works almost exactly the same way in both cases; in the case of the Javelin, two flaps are closed earlier than on the Mirage, but that's the only major difference. On rigs like the Racer and Reflex, the reserve PC is external (i.e. nothing between the poptop and the outside) and the pins are on the other side of the rig. This has some benefits in terms of reserve pin protection.

I'd have to classify the Javelin as an internal PC. The container closes/works almost exactly the same way in both cases; in the case of the Javelin, two flaps are closed earlier than on the Mirage, but that's the only major difference.

Another major difference is that with a totally internal PC, all the reserve PC fabric is in the container. On Jav's, the fabric is a lot more exposed. as it is only covered by the PC top and the bottom flap. Having that exposure makes me a bit nervous, and i am not saying that as a basher, but rather someone who just purchased a new Jav.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

>Reserve Pop Top
>Mirage: Internal
>Javelin: External

I'd have to classify the Javelin as an internal PC. The container closes/works almost exactly the same way in both cases; in the case of the Javelin, two flaps are closed earlier than on the Mirage, but that's the only major difference. On rigs like the Racer and Reflex, the reserve PC is external (i.e. nothing between the poptop and the outside) and the pins are on the other side of the rig. This has some benefits in terms of reserve pin protection.

I stand corrected.

I'll change that to "Partially Exposed Pop Top".

The bottom line is that there are different theories as to why one would prefer one style over the other.

Pro: Theoretically opens faster. (But then Mirage bosts the stiffest reseve spring on the market to compensate for that. Well. They did until the Icon came along. Both these containers have quite the powerful springs.)

Con: With a poor reserve pack job, the pop top can stick out and cause a possible snag point. I have never seen that happen myself. There is a lot less exposure than on a fully exposed pop top like a Racer, Reflex or a Tear Drop.

Again. These are just my opinions. Consider it a taste of information. If you are still hungry, addition servings are available on this site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I will also start with i work for the manufacturer. There are a lot of great containers on the market and Lisa ( skybytch) had a great post. Since you are in the UK and might need some un-bias opinion, talk to Chris Allen who is affiliated with the BPA and has a lot of experience with gear and is in your area. JT