HIDGAF84

Help... Please -- Windows 7 Error; Can't Boot

Ugh...:S

I saw someone who posted in a forum with a similar issue as I'm having currently; over a day run time. Trying to find that currently.

Just found this, but all the comments vary widely.

"If it is running in the pre-startup and you are past Stage 3, meaning it is on 4 of 5 or 5 of 5. then you can just re-start your machine. I have done it on stage 5 of 5, which is the stage of checking the free space, and it started up just fine. If you re-start your machine during stages 1 to 3, you run the risk of loosing data."

12/5/13 -- comment

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/142733-can-you-cancel-chkdsk-while-it-is-running

This was scheduled to run at boot up... And is stage four of five.

Again, not disagreeing, just finding this bizarre, that the previous check disk issues, inconsistencies between the two discs, was directly after a flash crash, the second one as well, and the third was after a Windows update. All of them took less than 20 minutes to run. And I do not remember it checking ALL of my files.

I didn't change anything at all, and for well over a month everything has been fine.

Firefox has updated a few times, and Firefox is what was not responding before this primary issue started. And I'm wondering if the hard boot after "accidentally" putting it in sleep mode, is what caused the system file issues.

I'm not in denial that my hard drive could be crashing, but it just doesn't make sense…

If this hard drive is dying, I'm just going to get a new laptop, windows 10, and I'll make sure to create a Windows disk for the first time in my life... IMMEDIATELY.

At the least I wanted to try a system restore, but this crap right now is crazy.

I know that a new hard drive solved similar (but not identical) problems for me. Easy to replace, after being reassured by my dz.com tech advisers ;) that it was.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A HD failure can be maddening; I have a pair of redundant servers. Normally one is running, and the other is shutdown. Each has a boot drive, and a data drive. Once a week, I power up the offline one, then sync the data drives.

Last year I started having issues with one. I thought, (hoped), it was just the data HD, so I pulled it, and put in in the other one. No problems. Shit. That meant probably something in the motherboard. The servers were out of production, and I could not find a motherboard for sale. So after much searching I found a NOS in an eBay auction. I won the auction. Then...before the server even arrived...the goddamned HD started acting up in the known-good server. The problem was the damned HD all along.>:(

So now I have a NOS server sitting in the box, and I'm debating whether to put it back on eBay ore not. As soon as I do, I'm sure one of the pair in use will have issues.[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well… after continuing to read as much as I could find, and changing search criteria slightly, after my last post I found a comment by someone else with a similar problem, though his stage 4 had been on the same exact file for over 24 hours. Mine has not been That bad.

He decided to let it sit, and it finally started again, but he never updated if CHKDSK finished.

Lots of comments stated that it could be just reading errors that were continuing, and it would eventually get past it.

I decided to do the same, went to sleep with it at 154,767, and woke up with 154,793 (small change but faster than it has been). Then about an hour later it shot up into the upper 800s, fast, and then shot up 2000; within about 10 min. Went up a handful more, and it has now been on 157,017 for at least an hour.

So… I don't know, thinking this could be similar, maybe the bad sectors it's going through (even though they were very small - as listed previously), and it will eventually finish. After a quick jump of 2K, I can't justify hard booting it at this point.

1 extra tidbit on top of everything I said previously…

In stage two, indexes: I had one unindexed file scanned. Though there are two listings, under directory file 89597.

The first is webapps.json and next webapp~1.json.

Though there are two listings with the same numbers, just with a different file, it says recovering 1 orphan file, but then zero on the next line... 0 unindexed files recovered.

JSON, I knew was Firefox (from backing up my bookmarks multiple times), but I just specifically searched it, and confirmed that those are Firefox files.

So, again, not discounting any opinions, but that does tie into Firefox becoming unresponsive, tying into what started this mess.

Just a note…

And Firefox did update a few different times since that last windows update that caused a boot up check disk.

And of 1636 large file records processed, there were zero bad file records.

I can't believe it took 34 posts to have someone advising you to get a Mac.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Hope your problems will get solved and you can finish the work you were doing on your computer.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I was actually considering getting a Mac, before I purchased this set up… the cost is a pretty significant difference; but within the last year, I've had a few Mac friends say they were never buying another Mac.

So like reading comments on Amazon, who knows what the hell to think…:P

BIGUN

I did... but just reread it also.

Similar error code on boot up, whether safe mode or regular; but different cause/initiator.

Thankfully sfc /scannow got me out of that issue and back to the desktop, but I still had system file corruption issues; where only the things listed above would function.

The one thing I do remember about that link, was the AVG comment. McAfee was on this computer originally, which I uninstalled and put Norton on. But up till recently have not had any problems with Norton; over three years of usage.

Currently... I am stuck in CHDSK still. So I can't even try the drivers and utilities disk, can't make a USB windows 7 "disk", or even try a system restore.

It jumped up 2,250 files, as said before within about 10 to 15 minutes, then got through an additional 74 faster than the previous time periods, and now I've been stuck on 157,091 for 28 hours.

The one thing I CAN say, is I sure have learned a lot about computers, more than I ever knew before. I knew a little bit of web design and graphic design, but not really any coding or operating system stuff.

If this is a hard drive issue, I'll be buying a new system, and then I'll probably use this computer as a learning tool to do further tinkering. Just play with everything I can find and go wild with it. But until CHKDSK finishes, I sure can't make a decision.

Coo, thanks.

And like with my Mac comment, opinions are all over the place on hard booting in stage four. And I would hate to cause more problems than I already have, without the chance of fixing what is already a problem. And without having even been able to try a system file check with a recovery disk.

I can definitely let this run for another seven days. But at that point, I will most definitely have to shut it off.

The time sensitive April computer work I needed to do, I don't even know for sure if it's still possible or not. If it's not, it's not the end of the world. It sucks, but not the end of the world.

And not worth buying a new system till I had an answer on this one.

Extra Notes:

- The HDD light, IS still blinking showing activity; unchanged, as it has been. I have heard no adverse sounds of a noticeably failing hard drive, however I would not say that I do hear it "spinning", because it is quite silent, and has always been silent, and you can hear the fan for the laptop overall far louder than any hard drives noises.

I do also have a SSD drive, but it is not bootable, only used for quicker booting; part of the system, not a personally added option. Didn't seem relevant earlier, but may as well make that known in addition.

- received a PM stating that I have a 32-bit system, not 64: as seen from the file name of the initial error "windows\system32".

My mistake likely linked to Windows updates; multiple times thinking it was providing me the wrong updates, and checking back-and-forth between the proper bits between windows and Microsoft office.

Thank you for that!

Well… I am now at 48 hours on the same file.

That 2K jump sure was quite the tease…

I've seen direction to use "control + C", control alt delete, and a final usage of a hard boot.

Anyone familiar with control+C...? Never heard of that command until researching aborting check disk.

HIDGAF84

I was actually considering getting a Mac, before I purchased this set up… the cost is a pretty significant difference; but within the last year, I've had a few Mac friends say they were never buying another Mac.

So like reading comments on Amazon, who knows what the hell to think…:P

If you get a mac, you have to drink ALL of Apple's Kool Aid. I did that for a while and put up with a fair bit of god damn bullshit, from unacknowledged hardware problems that everyone on various Mac forums were having problems with to hardware intentionally crippled with software (Original Mac Pro Desktop was more than capable of running a 64 bit OSX, but they never upgraded the 32 bit boot loader on the system to allow it,) ancient versions of java, terrible video options, and the list goes on. Most of the things that annoy me probably wouldn't bother the average user and the plus side is that buying an Apple is like buying a Prius -- your asshole doesn't stink after you do it. Until you quit, buy a Charger and then your asshole stinks twice as much as it used to.

For your money, buy a HP or Dell i7 laptop with RAM, hard drive and video upgrades and you'll still come much less expensive than what the high end Macbook would set you back. And you'be be getting a lot more hardware and software compatibility. Or maybe a MS Surface Pro -- I've heard good things about them.

If you want to stand out in the Starbucks crowd, install Linux and a custom graphical boot screen. I've been running Ubuntu Linux for a couple months solid now and it's every bit as capable as booting this machine to Windows. Except Skyrim won't run (But a lot of my other steam games will.) It's even got some pretty nice editing crap -- Kdenlive is all I need for my videos, and I can do audio recording and editing with Audacity. If you need more graphical stuff, Inkscape is a pretty good vector drawing program once you learn the keyboard shortcuts and blender is a pretty good 3D modeling program once you learn the keyboard shortcuts. I use pdflatex for "official" letters, and it always puts out a much nicer document than any word processor you've ever used. Does really nice addresses for printed envelopes, too.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Update... (partial) Phew!:

After a little over 72 hours of CHKDSK being stuck at the same point noted above (after the "progress tease"), I had no other option but to hard boot; or of course Billy's option.

After letting it sit for almost 2 hours (unplugged as well), I tried to do a Safe Boot immediately. It got hung up on classpnp.sys.

Did a whole bunch of research and reading on that alone, ran start up repair, it apparently found something, said to restart to see if it fixed whatever it found. Restarted but returned to the repair menu, ran start up repair, ran SFC, ran start up repair again. nothing with start up repair, but SFC provided the same message it has continually; corruption but could not fix some of them.

Tried again with SafeBoot, same issue.

Been quite busy, and not able to spend anymore time.

At 906p... Finally had the time to get back to it. The normal "not shut down properly" tasks ran, I returned to the repair menu. Ran start up repair and SFC, nothing with start up repair, same message with SFC.

I then booted using "last known working configuration", and I made it back to the desktop.

Everything stated above, as to the state of windows, prior to starting check disk, remains. Chrome, picture viewer, all data looks secure. All same things stop working immediately, bur all data looks secure... but not able to confirm video files aside from thumbnails.

Q:

- I am not able to bring up my system properties. I get COM surrogate has stopped working when I try to.

How can I confirm what version of Windows I have?

Again, I am pretty darn sure it's home 64-bit.

"VER" in the command prompt did not give a "home" version, or type of bit.

- as long as my DVD player is working, I can make a Windows 7 disc using the same computer, correct?

- if I cannot make a disk with this computer… Is it possible to make a Windows 7 disc on a mac? My brother-in-law has a Mac laptop I could utilize. Otherwise I have no resources easily accessible.

metalslug

I am assuming that you noticed in my earlier post to this link that;
"If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at Windows 7 Forums"

For that you will of course need another computer to download and burn approx 3.5GB to DVD, but if you are able then I believe it's your best bet. The added bonus is that if the repair doesn't work then you can use the same disc to re-install the entire OS as a last resort.

Not possible with the same computer?

HIDGAF84

I am assuming that you noticed in my earlier post to this link that;
"If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at Windows 7 Forums"

For that you will of course need another computer to download and burn approx 3.5GB to DVD, but if you are able then I believe it's your best bet. The added bonus is that if the repair doesn't work then you can use the same disc to re-install the entire OS as a last resort.

Not possible with the same computer?

Not if its hard drive is boned right now. Also not if you replaced the hard drive and it currently has an empty hard drive with no OS on it. Pretty much all the methods of downloading and burning your own require the computer to be working well enough to actually download something.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

My DVD drive Does work… it successfully read the Dell "drivers and utilities" disk. It does appear though that auto play, "plug-and-play" association does not function properly. I should easily be able to copy anything off the disc directly; but a quick look through it reinforces that it will not be helpful for this circumstance, as others alluded to above. Can't even easily determine what everything is.

Chrome is working just fine… Pretty sure I could download the image.

Was just hoping to have clarification on that, before I bought disks.

Can't really find a good answer, or a logical reason that burning a file to a disk and then booting with it wouldn't be possible... given what is working and what is not.

I don't disagree… but that wouldn't make sense before utilizing a Windows 7 disk. (And... I still have more evidence to point to simple file corruption, from flash and windows update. If those problems never happened, and all of a sudden this happened, I would be more inclined to agree.)

And if my hard drive is going out… I'm buying a new system. I'm not getting a new hard drive. At least initially. I don't have time for all that, I just need a computer that's working. And windows 10 might be nice.