paulcrw

Barefoot Bandit learned to fly from the internet

http://www.theage.com.au/world/wild-colt-20091223-ldh6.html

the teenager appeared to have taught himself to fly from the internet and by using flying manuals bought with a stolen credit card. Harris-Moore had clearly picked up the basics well enough to master taking off, but as Rivers pointed out on air, he was ''not so good at landing. Landing is the hardest thing. That last foot's the hard part''.

He might be a very naughty boy, but props that he keeps trying. He might land one successfully yet. :ph34r:

Maybe he'll take Mum's advice...

Told of this alleged third theft of a plane, Harris-Moore's mother Pam Kohler said: ''I'm proud of him. I was going to send him to flight school, but I guess I don't have to.'' And she had this deeply moralistic advice for her fugitive son: ''Next time, wear a parachute and practise your landing!''

He's stolen 2 planes so far, and each time has dinged them up landing. Hate to be the owners, insurance or not. The Seattle Weekly had an article for their cover story November 25th.
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Now he's leaning on the internet to pay for him to learn how to fly!

https://www.gofundme.com/flycolton

Seems fishy to me, $33,000 for a private certificate is obscene, and it looks like he's trying to get commercial single, multi and rotor certificates.

Maybe I should start a GoFundMe for the rest of my certificates/ratings. $125k would go pretty far for me!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't believe so... According to him, he's deleting all negative comments.

It is possible to report it as fraud though, being that pretty much nobody will hire him with "52 felonies" and good luck with getting a SIDA badge.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Careful, one day you may need to rely on him being that he plans to become a "medieval" helicopter pilot :D

I didn't know they had helicopters back then...:S

quade

I'm just disgusted by everything about the kid's story. If he wanted to fly so badly, he could have earned it.

Exactly. Now he is asking for handouts in the 6 figure range to do it. Of course his course lists a SR22T for his private training...

Hell, I was happy to have a wore out 172 that worked most of the time. I guess that's what happens when you pay your own bill.

quade

***Hell, I was happy to have a wore out 172 that worked most of the time.

Luxury...

Dammit!>:(
Beat me to the post.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******Hell, I was happy to have a wore out 172 that worked most of the time.

Luxury...

I did my instrument in Central Florida during summer in a 150... Does that help my street cred any?:D

theonlyski

*********Hell, I was happy to have a wore out 172 that worked most of the time.

Luxury...

I did my instrument in Central Florida during summer in a 150... Does that help my street cred any?:D

Now that I think about it, I can play this game:

A 172? With an engine? Luxury!:P
I got my private ticket in a LET L-13 Blaník.

Only later I added SEL rating in a 150.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

theonlyski

I don't believe so... According to him, he's deleting all negative comments.

It is possible to report it as fraud though, being that pretty much nobody will hire him with "52 felonies" and good luck with getting a SIDA badge.

Yes and yes.

What insurer will even offer private pilot liability insurance with that felony record and mental history. Aviation insurers are notoriously conservative and risk adverse.

Some criminals can never be rehabbed.

$50K from "zero to hero" with a guaranteed instructor job.
http://www.aviationschoolsonline.com/school-info/Airline-Transport-Professionals---37-U.S.-Flight-Training-Locations/83/1606/F/1.php

I guess the extra $75k is for lawyers, coke,booze hookers and the rest he'll just waste.

Oh! but nobody would hire or insure him. Let alone a first class medical, or even third class dealing with his mental history
"depression, attention deficit disorder and intermittent explosive disorder.[18] ".

I'm not giving him a fucking cent. He wants the money, get a fucking job.

52 fucking felonies. Jesus H Christ. Why is he not behind bars for at least 50 years?

Now if he had grown up and gotten a job in the aviation community in some form, say started at the bottom and worked his way up, then I'd have a better opinion of him.

Remember the movie "Catch Me If You Can" with Leonard DiCaprio and Tom Hanks? It was based on a true story IIRC. The fed (Hanks) chased the forger and conman (DiCaprio) all over the world, finally nabbing him in France I believe. He gave him a chance. Work for him in the counterfeit department. His expertise became a valuable asset, and the two worked together for years and have been friends ever since.

However the GoFundMe bullshit just ended any chance of good feelings I would have ever had. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. I hope his GoFundMe gets nothing. Or doesn't get anywhere near 1 to 5% of what he wants.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

He's got over $1,500 already...

Just posted this update:

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. They requested that I PAUSE donations until they can approve the GoFundMe. So, that's what I have done. It may take a week or two for them to approve this, so please be patient! Remember I am still on probation and still have to jump through the hoops! I'll do whatever it takes!

theonlyski

He's got over $1,500 already...

Just posted this update:

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. They requested that I PAUSE donations until they can approve the GoFundMe. So, that's what I have done. It may take a week or two for them to approve this, so please be patient! Remember I am still on probation and still have to jump through the hoops! I'll do whatever it takes!

I wonder if Trump needs somebody to run the FAA? Seems about right.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I hope his PO make him give all the donated money to the victims of his crime spree.

He stole and wrecked several planes, among other crimes. While there may have been insurance on those planes, it never covers all of the loss.

I thought he was an obnoxious, arrogant little shit when he was on the run. Nothing here makes me have any different opinion.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo