ryoder

Harrison Ford opens new runway at John Wayne Airport

DiverMike

For your enjoyment

Thanks. I'd add that the list of ATP pilots who landed at the wrong airport is long. Let alone military pilots who have landed at the wrong airport.

C-17 mistakes commuter airport for a major airbase. Pilot and co-pilot working on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcIYmsGmNnk

Last week there were two Canadian F-18's who were so excited about being in Florida that they almost landed at a closed airport. GPS probably frozen.

http://www.mypanhandle.com/news/canadian-aircrafts-accidentally-attempt-to-land-at-old-airport/653045251

Phil1111

C-17 mistakes commuter airport for a major airbase. Pilot and co-pilot working on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcIYmsGmNnk

The pilot weather computer at that airport still has a picture of the C-17 sitting on the runway.:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

normiss

Were those added for the new heavy traffic there?
;):)

Nah, they get whatever runway they want. Me in a 182 get's that little sliver on the side.

Oddly, I flew directly over the airport right after the election and saw his plane, but since then, I've always gotten the 'scenic' routing down, under and around the airport (why not just clear me over a different airport??)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

flyhi

Flew helos in and out of LAX a few times. You were dreaming if you thought they would let you land on a runway, or even a taxi way. They always cleared us to a ramp off the taxi way. Friend declared an emergency once, and they gave him the taxi way. Huge concession, apparently.

To be fair, they suggested the taxiway. By law as soon as your friend declared the emergency he was cleared for all runways, taxiways, ramps, the parking garage, or the top of the terminal/tower for that matter.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

BillyVance

I was certain that was going to be another spoof video.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I was certain that was going to be another spoof video.:D

Complete with Vader's reaction in New Hope when Han shows up and takes out his wingmen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JqKSoIaOo
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Well, the video shows what the media (or much of it?) obscured with their statements. While he literally "flew over the airliner", it was not there when he started his approach. The airliner moved forward and under his approach, while he was on fairly short final.

So while he still screwed up, it changes any implication that he started an approach staring at an airliner directly under his flight path.

pchapman

Well, the video shows what the media (or much of it?) obscured with their statements. While he literally "flew over the airliner", it was not there when he started his approach. The airliner moved forward and under his approach, while he was on fairly short final.

So while he still screwed up, it changes any implication that he started an approach staring at an airliner directly under his flight path.

True, however if an elephant ends up on the runway during approach, I'm still going around if it's aerodynamically possible.

ryoder

On one hand I can see how an unfamiliar pilot might think the taxiway is the left runway, due to the threshold of the right runway being 2500' beyond the left.

But on the other hand, the taxiway has none of the markings you expect to see on an active runway.

Maybe someone can send him this link. Very Helpful

https://www.faa.gov/airports/southern/airport_safety/part139_cert/media/aso-airfield-standards-quick-reference.pdf