Duke6901

Packing a PULL-OUT

I recently purchased a used(but like new) 93 J4 w/ a sabre 210. It has a Pull-out type system, where the straight pin is connected to a pillow velcroed to the bottom of the container. The line passes through a grommet between the pillow and the pin. My question is, How do you pack the darn thing so as to not have a "hard pull" on deployment. I have searched the forums and found 60 + pages to do with pull out. Most of the stuff I saw was Pull out vs BOC not how to pack. Thanks for any Help/Input you guys (gals) can give.

You only live once, but cowards die a thousand deaths!

Most important thing:
Don't try to figure out yourself.
ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR.

If you are not 100% sure he told you the right thing. Pack it the was hes shows and try to Pull the pin out on the ground.

Both Bull-out and BOC are good opening systems if:
"correct manufactured, maintained, packed and operated"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

amen to everything you just said.when pull outs first came out people constantly had problems with them at my old dz.firts,try and get hold of the mfr. and get the official instructions for your rig.next try it on the ground ,several times if necessary.one prob with pull outs is a tendency to release the p/c to close to your bod,it goes back into your burble.

www.sunpath.com
repairs and rigging
Javelin manual, page 17
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS CLICKY?

The secret to packing all pull-outs is putting the base of the pilot chute in the lower right corner of the container. That way, the first few inches of pull will only pull the pin. After that, you can extract the pilot chute from the container and whip it out to arm's length, before releasing it.

Please ask a local rigger or instructor to supervise you the first few times you pack and jump your Javelin.

In the manual I have, it says to close the left flap then the right. Everyone I know with smaller Javelins and pull-outs (including me) packs it the other way around, so the line can't get stuck in the flaps if it has moved around for whatever reason. That was the reason for my hard pull. Since I switched the order like all the others, I never had any problems again. Try to find someone with a Javelin and pull-out to show you.

>My question is, How do you pack the darn thing so as to not have a "hard
>pull" on deployment.

I won't try to explain it here (you really have to demonstrate) but make sure you get good advice. We had a fatality here about ten years ago when one jumper packed another jumper's pullout incorrectly and he had a total.

Thanks for all of the help. I think I will call javalin and ask about the closing order. It makes sence to close the container so the lines dont get caught. BOC shure seems alot less involved. However, I feel better about the pull out sys. in a freefly enviornment.

Comments one way or the other???

You only live once, but cowards die a thousand deaths!