VTskydiver

Vector 3 closing sequence

I just bought a Nov. 1997 Vector 3 rig... first rig of my own... and I'm not sure on the closing order. Bottom, top, left, right or bottom, top, right, left? Does it matter? It looks to me by the numbers on the flaps it should be left, right. But in the manual for V3s I saw right, left but I'm not sure if this is only newer models. Any help here is greatly appreciated!!!

I have to jump in here too.

I'm a low timer, and as such have no business giving advice, but I'm gonna anyway.

You should have the manual to your entire rig. Your container, your aad, your main and your reserve.

Learn all you can about it from the factory specs, don't take peoples word for things, read the manuals.

It seriously surprises me how many people strap these beautiful pieces of equipment on, to save their lives, and don't know Jack Shit about them.

When I reach for my pilot, and it's time to Rock-n-Roll, not only do I know what's on my back, but what shape it's in as well, and the proper use and care.

Now, I'll give the caveat, that since I am so new and learning, I believe I've got another couple thousand reads on it, and jumps to learn the practical realities....

But, nevertheless, I believe strongly you should know your equipment intimately. Order all the manuals.

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I guess that's really why I am asking this question... I was reading the manual tonight, haven't jumped this rig yet... but the manual says one thing and the numbers printed on my flaps say another. I know that on some rigs, left-right and right-left are really interchangable but I'm not sure about the vector 3 since the top main flap has the grommet offset to the right. I'm heading out to party in a few minutes B| and my rigger is gonna be at it, so I guess I'll take his opinion and maybe also try to contact RW to make sure..... everybody have a good weekend jumping!

Hi man,
My name is Pablito and I'm one of the Riggers for Relative workshop. all the Vector sport containers close bottom (on Vector 3 is where the closing loop is, on Vector 2 you will find a grommet or is the #1 Flap mod has been done you will find the closing loop), Top, Right and Left.
There is only one exception to this rule, that is on Rip cord deployment system were it closes bottom, top, Left right. So if your container was a student rig, the numbers could be the other way around, but it is bizzarro
Cielos Azules

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Sorry man, Really busy at the loft, Tonight I already finish the 2nd Sigma A&P and now i'm doing a V310 and then going home. but I don't think I will make it to AOT.
How Is Aggieland?

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

I am not familiar with vector 3 ripcord rigs but my guess would be the ripord is on the right flap, so you would close the right flap last, putting the ripcord on the top flap.

The reason the vector thowout rigs are right left, goes back to when throwouts were introduced. If you close them left right, the bridal can wrap around the right flap(to the left of the closing pin) causing a pilot chute in tow. People died from this in the late 70's.

Hey, just wondering if there was a reason why ripcord closes left-right and pins close right-left?

Well with the ripcord system it is probably because the hard housing for the ripcord is attached to the right flap on a Right-hand deploy rig.
As to why the pin system requires closing the rig in the opposite fashion, I don't know for sure but I will hazard a guess:
When you throw the pilot chute on a right-hand throw-out rig, the pc tends extract the pin by drawing to the right and back from the closing loop. With the right flap over the left there is a risk of excess bridal looping around the exposed end of the right flap and preventing extraction. With the left flap over the right, this rightward draw on the pin would tend to free any bridal that had looped in this fashion. I believe that this occurrence would be very rare and would more likely result in a momentary hesitation than a PC in tow. Still, every little helps.
This is just a guess. Anyone else care to comment.
Edit: Damn, nutinbutdust beat me to it while I was typing.

The reason the vector thowout rigs are right left, goes back to when throwouts were introduced. If you close them left right, the bridal can wrap around the right flap(to the left of the closing pin) causing a pilot chute in tow. People died from this in the late 70's

Which begs the question...why are Javelins closed left-right? :P Don't they care about this type of malfunction? :o
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies