Shlaus10

Which reserve would you choose?

Hello all-

I'm putting together my first rig and it looks like I'll be getting either a PD-193R or a Raven II. I've found one of each reserve for sale and they were manufactured in the same year and are within $50 of each other in price. I've searched, and in general the reviews for the PD reserves seem to be more positive than those for the Ravens. The PD I'm looking at has 1 ride, and the Raven has zero. However, the Raven is a bright, solid color, and the PD is black, silver, and gold. Overall, which reserve would you feel more comfortable with?

Blue Skies,
Austin

I flew a very experienced Raven 2 as a main (near 1:1) for well over 100 jumps. I always joked that it was a "volvo station wagon - boxy and safe" but it was just that. A fresh one should fly nicely but I have found a PD 9 cell canopy has far superior flare power than the Raven with only an extra 10 sq. ft. Dropping 25 might level the playing field.

Are you worried about crashing in a remote ares? If not I then wouldn't concern myself with the colour ... I'd go with the PD option especially if wingloading is not an issue.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

There are few things that are in general agreement in skydiving. People like canopies for a variety of reasons. for Flare position and length and look.
That said almost everyone I have ever spoken with says go PD reserve. They are tested, fly well and bombproof
Chris

The PD - better reinforcement (spanwise reinforcing tapes) and flight/landing characteristics.

I've seen a reserve which only had a reinforcing tape at the tail lying on the ground in 2 and 5 cell chunks with grass between them. Without any tape it would have been a fatality and with a full compliment of tapes the landing may have been injury free.

I'd take the PD in a heart beat.

I've got jumps on both the PD and Raven reserves, the PD is, in my opinion, a superior product. No question about it. None.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

The PD - better reinforcement (spanwise reinforcing tapes) and flight/landing characteristics.

I've seen a reserve which only had a reinforcing tape at the tail lying on the ground in 2 and 5 cell chunks with grass between them. Without any tape it would have been a fatality and with a full compliment of tapes the landing may have been injury free.

Now to be fair you should mention that poor reserve was deployed by a CYPRES after 4000' of unconscious head-down at a field elevation of 5050 MSL.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Now to be fair you should mention that poor reserve was deployed by a CYPRES after 4000' of unconscious head-down at a field elevation of 5050 MSL.

Is this the one that was also a might overloaded on weight also?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Is this the one that was also a might overloaded on weight also?

No, the incident you are referencing happened at Calhan, and was a fatality. The incident Drew references happened at Longmont, and resulted in two broken ankles but was not fatal.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My vote is PD, but they're both good canopies.

The color scheme of this canopy brings forth a quesion for riggers/manufacturers out there, though: I have, over the years, heard rumors that silver canopy fabric is a bad idea. The reason stated was that the fabric was made "silver" by embedding tiny peices of metal into the fabric, which would quickly degrade the strength of the canopy. Does anyone know for sure if this is true, or if it's just a wild story? or perhaps that it was true, and has since been fixed... any info is appreciated.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Demo both of them.

I had two "practice" reserve rides with a PDR143 before I had my three "real" reserve rides.

Bonnie at Gravity Gear gets PDR demos every year and we all get the chance to do "reserve demo day" . It's a great chance to jump the same reserve you have in your container, or to try the smaller one you may be considering for a new container.

So, I strongly suggest you get a demo of each, jump it hooked up as your main, and decide based on flying characteristics.

Nothing but PDR for me, thanks.