chileanXaos

Tandem gear prices

I am a few steps from changing my cessna 172 for a 182 , so we can have a nice plane in my country so we can stop jumping from scary ones, and one of my ideas is starting a tandem busines in the local airfield .
I looked to what full tandem gear prices where and couldnt find anything , I did a lot of search just dont like beeing lazy and ask without looking.

Strong Tandems are about $9380 new with AAD, Sigma's are slightly above $12000 and I'm not sure Racer prices for new.

Used... you pay for life time left on the gear.

Do you have your tandem rating now?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Racer you're looking at just a bit under $9k
Strong you're looking at around $10k
RWS Sigma you're looking at around $13k

You may be able to pick up a used Eclipse or Vector tandem cheaper, but if you look at the "replacement" costs for the parts (risers, etc) you may want to go new to offset the other costs longer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What about paratec prices , do you know

Paratec is a German brand. Next rig and Twin canopy are ok. www.paratec.de
The omega from performance variable (also german) is ok too:
www.myskyshop.com.
I think prices are about the same as paratec.
The Omega is a relative small rig. This might be an advantage when climbing out a C182.

And of course the French:
Atom/BT80
This rig will be a little more expensive as the Next or Omega but the rig is constructed more durable.
(Dutch and french special forces use this rig for special operations)
use google to find the website

Do you already have a rating. I might recommend you use the same type of rig for training and commercial tandems.
Do not switch to much in the beginning, there might be small differences between rigs

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

No, I do not think this rig has been approved by the aviation autorities in western europe, so I don't know anything about this rig.
(Does not mean it is bad)

Does your country have requirements for skydive equipment. If so please check them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Try e-mail them : [email protected]

5 or 6 Spirit Tandem rigs are at Aerograd Kolomna in service for more than 3 years. TIs seems pretty happy with them. Rigs are heavily used, more than 12 jumps every week on an every single rig.
Stealth Tandem main canopy is not certified, AFAIK. So, buying Racer may be better idea (most comfortable harness)

It sounds like you are shopping for a cheap tandem rig. There are many rigs on the market manufactured and approved for use in different countries. While a tandem rig may look like just a really big regular parachute rig, it is really a very different kind of technology. I'm really encouraging you to shop well and buy the best, not the cheapest. Your students (and instructors) deserve that.

I'm a US jumper and began my tandem jumps with the Strong Dual Hawk system, then added a Relative Workshop Vector rating. Later, I added a Jump Shack Racer, and finally a Relative Workshop Sigma rating. I am convinced that the Sigma is by far the safest rig on the market. It offers an outstanding student/instructor harness combo, and the support of the Relative Workshop, an industry pioneer that remains among the most respected companies today. Not only is Relative Workshop on top of the civilian market, but they serve demanding military users around the world, and their products have been tested to the highest standards.

The Sigma has several unique advantages including the Skyhook (a means of accelerated reserve deployment following a cutaway), a riser lanyard that releases the second riser if the RSL riser fails thus preventing the RSL from deploying the reserve into a streamering single riser main, a unique main closing system that prevents premature openings, an integrated drogue release/cutaway system that initiates the drogue release if you cutaway from an out of sequence opening without having first released the drogue, retractable drogue handles, and a completely covered drogue bridle that reduces snags. I really don't think you will find a better rig on the market from any source. For more detail see the Relative Workshop site at: http://relativeworkshop.com/general/home.html.

As you shop, remember that two lives are on the line every time you make a tandem jump. There is a difference between rigs, and you should be equipping your staff with the best gear available.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Like Tom, I am rated on the three most popular American-made tandem rigs: Racer, Strong and Vector.

If you are just starting out - and can afford it - I seriously urge you to buy a Sigma. Sigmas may be the most expensive, but they are also the closest to skydiver-proof.

Vector (and all their copies: Eclipse, Atom, Next, etc.) are my second choice.
Trivia, Parachutes de France claims to have sold more tandems than anyone else, but most of their customers are military special forces types who don't like to brag.

My third choice of container would be Strong. I have about 2700 jumps on Strong tandems, so familiarity breeds contempt.
Hee!
Hee!

Racer is very comfortable, but your rigger will need to learn a few new tricks. Fortunately Jump Shack will give him the latest reserve packing tool for free.

As for student harnesses,
Sigma is by far the best. The latest Strong student harness (with hip rings) is almost as comfortable, but too complicated for my taste. All the earlier student harnesses are uncomfortable, don't lift the students' knees for landing, cause fainting spells, etc.

As for pricing, like I said, Sigma is the most expensive and since they are fairly new, it is difficult to buy second-hand Sigmas.
I have several 9 year old Strongs in my loft and you can buy them cheap, but you will have to send them to Strong Enterprises for 8-year checks, updates, etc. Considering how far you are from Master Riggers, I would send any second-hand tandem rig for a factory inspection before paying.
Strong may be the only factory that requires inspections after 8 years and 13 years, with retirement after 18 years, but that is just sound business practice. Ignore the maintenance schedule at your peril. For example, the last time a 13 year old Vector came through my loft, it was faded, frayed and filthy and a told the owner to retire it at the end of this season. A few weeks later an Instructor Examiner (from the Relative Workshop) refused to jump it.

Thanks for all your replys , they have helped me too much . The thing is I am not going to sacrifice safety for price , but I think it there must be good gear for less money .
Here In my country you can jump what ever you want no restrictions . it only has to have a main and a reserve.
I would like to buy the less expensive tandem rig , but without sacrifing safety.

Thanks for all your replys , they have helped me too much . The thing is I am not going to sacrifice safety for price , but I think it there must be good gear for less money .
Here In my country you can jump what ever you want no restrictions . it only has to have a main and a reserve.
I would like to buy the less expensive tandem rig , but without sacrifing safety.

I think that at this point you had bought a tandem rig. Well in Argentina we have 6 complete ParAAvis rigs that has a very hard work here. we made more that 2000 jumps a year and those rigs has now 2 years in service. they are constructes with the same and escatly american materials. the designers are comes from the russian aeronautical industry and not only parachutes they make, paragliders kites and other aerospatial products aswell.
I understand that an american skydiver only reccomend an american parachute, so you can ask for a demo jumps to http://www.gmstore.com.ar spanish and english spoken.

Marcelo