darrenspooner

Any tips on packing a brand new Sabre 2?

Use your knees, thighes, forearms, stomach, chest, etc to keep it in a tight S-fold before sliding into the bag. I'm sure someone that swears by psycho packing will chime in and tell you to do that, but its not necessary, you can do it easily with a standard pro-pack.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had my favorite packer pack my brand new sabre2 for the first 30 jumps. :D I tipped him well for his 'troubles'.

Anyway - packing it myself now and taking my time. i use my knees, hands, forearms, and chest / chin to keep it under control the whole time. I do not do all the folds before putting it in the bag. I fold the first half, then get the bag between my legs to keep it under control, while I fold in the rest. Works pretty well. Humidity has been my friend too - so long as my hands don't get sticky.

you can do it easily with a standard pro-pack.

I would say that is a matter of opinion, but you are right about the thighs, face, forehead, forearm, feet, chin, chest, toes, knees, and any other part of your yoga ass that can keep it together while you get it in the bag technique.
...FUN FOR ALL!

Would using baby powder or a rosin bag help? It seems like I always have trouble when the canopy is more slippery than my hands, and I can't extract my hands from the canopy with out the canopy following the hands.
...FUN FOR ALL!

Well, at least this means I'm relatively normal in my struggles. I'm also warmed b the fact that my one pack job on it so far was the shitiest looking crapfight of a mess, and it still opened beautifully and on heading (compared to my Hornet which nearly split me in half every jump, even if I spent an hour doing it meticulously.

you can do it easily with a standard pro-pack.

I would say that is a matter of opinion, but you are right about the thighs, face, forehead, forearm, feet, chin, chest, toes, knees, and any other part of your yoga ass that can keep it together while you get it in the bag technique.

It just gets easier as you pack it more, if its to hard to do now w/ the amount of packing experience that you have, get a packer to pack it for the first 20-30 jumps. I don't like psycho packing mine because I don't really need any slower of an opening and it tends to cause that.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'll accommodate AggieDave. I was in the same situation as you last year and struggled with my canopy until I would finally end up paying a packer so that I would not miss several loads trying to get it in the bag. I too bought a brand new Sabre II as my first canopy without having packed before. My container was sized for the 135 to fit very tight because I new I would probably want to downsize soon. Psycho packing was the solution that allowed me to get the canopy in the bag the first time every time. I have packed my canopy this way for over 200 jumps and have had all great openings. I think the name "Psycho" tends to push people away from this method. It's not that it's necessary, but it sure saved me a lot of frustration especially with the split bag on the Mirage G4 with a brand new canopy.

Don't put your weight on it! Put just enough pressure with your hands, knees, etc. to hold it in place. Anymore and it just squirts out. For instance, if you put your knee on it keep your weight on your other leg and just put a small amout of force on the canopy.

I form a corner with my left knee on the ground on the left side of the stack and my right knee on the rig side of the stack. Then I can work into the corner of my knees while putting it in the bag.

Take heart. I had 1400 jumps and had been a rigger for 10 years before I packed my first ZP main. It took ten tries before I got one I'd jump.;) Of course I'm extra picky.B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I was psycho packing my Sabre 2 in the packing tent one day in DeLand and John LeBlanc was the only other person in the tent with me. We chatted about something else for a bit, and all the while I was hoping he wasn't noticing that I wasn't using the "preferred method" for packing my Sabre 2. Finally, I made a joke about it and asked his opinion on it. He asked, "is it working for you?" I answered, "yes, no problems so far". He said, "go ahead and keep doing it then." B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Got my new rig, did one jump, then had 4 goes before I got it in the bag. Has anyone got any tips for keeping it all in place?

try this technique http://www.packingparachutes.com/techniques_tips/greed.htm it works really well on slick new fabric
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Have fun.

Your canopy has a built in sensor and starts sucking air when stress is detected.

So don't panic. staying quiet works best.

Some alternative methods:
1) use a packer
2) use the canopy as a tent for one week
3) ...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I pack my brand new Sabre 2 with the reverse S fold like mentioned above. It makes it a lot easier to get into the bag. I do it every time now because thats what works for me.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

That is my normal packing method, and I find it a lot easier. New ZP is still a tough one.

I use a variant of that method.

I slip the fold in the 2nd pic in the bag. Then I squeeze the air out of the end of the canopy, and work that end into the bag. I find that this way, the bag does most of the controling of the canopy.
Remster

You have my sympathy about the packing. I bought a new sabre 2 a while ago and learnt to pack on it. Bad choice of canopy to learn with but nevermind. It's still a bitch to get in the bag but I find that if as I tuck the skirt under I roll it together starting from about waist level to up to the top, squeezing every last molecule of air out then roll the top quite tightly and then (with bag all prepared ready to go) leap up quickly put in the s fold and get the bag over one corner I can usually control it enough afterwards to get it all in the bag. I fold the tail in after I've got the bag over both corners. If it starts to inflate before the first corner is in I'm stuffed.

Other experienced divers have a bad time bagging it so I dont feel too bad about it.

Back to this old topic! god bless search. When you are packing your sabre 2 do you roll the nose?

Only if I want offheading openings;)Don't do it.The opening is soft anyway.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Back to this old topic! god bless search. When you are packing your sabre 2 do you roll the nose?

Back to the same old advice -- For starters, always do what the manufacturer says. And always ask them about variations. Nobody, let me repeat, nobody, has packed them more, and paid more attention to the openings than they have.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History