MJH

Rig for novice

I'm a novice who is 5'10", 180 lbs. and is looking at gear. My tentative plan is to buy a Sabre 2 main canopy at 190 sq. ft. and A Doplhin D-3 (large) container/harness. I lean toward the Sabre2 because, from what I've gathered, it's a tame, reliable canopy. The Doplhin appeals to me because it looks uncomplicated (I've yet to pack a canopy) and reliable. I figure that when I'm ready for a smaller main in 500 or 600 jumps, I'll still be able to use the Dolphin. I don't intend to buy an AAD b/c my DZ doesn't require them and I fear the AAD accidentally deploying my reserve more than I fear my inability to deploy my reserve.

All that said, I respect my ignorance and would appreciate advice about some or all of these decisions. Thanks!

The Dolphin isn't a bad container, but you might want to sit down with your former instructors and chat about gear choices. I'm more then sure they'll be willing to help you out! :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't intend to buy an AAD b/c my DZ doesn't require them and I fear the AAD accidentally deploying my reserve more than I fear my inability to deploy my reserve.

You just never know when you're gonna get knocked out in freefall. This has been argued time and again, so do a search. I went without a cypres for over 100 jumps before I bought one, mostly because my boyfriend wanted me to have one, but i'm glad I got it!

I don't think the Dolphin is freefly friendly(?), so if you plan on freeflying, you might want to re-think that choice. A container can last you a very long time, so get one that fits well and will be versitile enough to serve you whatever discipline you choose. I plan to have my container for another 400 jumps at least.

Angela.

The new Dolphin is pretty FF friendly; velcro and tuck tabs where their needed. As long as the velcro is maintained along with everything else I can't see the harm in FF with it. And to boot their suppose to be cheap, comfortable, and have a short wait time.

As for the AAD, my $0.02 would be eh, whatever.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Just to make sure ya understand, "beginner" containers are no simpler or easier to use than the high end containers. You're probably best off getting something used for your first rig. But unless you just want to save money, look at all containers. There are better options than the dolphin. If you think you'll be keeping your first container for a long time and buying used, defintiely make sure you get something with no velcro.

Dave

I don't intend to buy an AAD b/c my DZ doesn't require them and I fear the AAD accidentally deploying my reserve more than I fear my inability to deploy my reserve.

All that said, I respect my ignorance and would appreciate advice about some or all of these decisions. Thanks!

Whether or not a skydiver jumps with an AAD is a personal choice, however, I have a difficult time believing that someone with 25 jumps knows enough about the real life pros and cons of jumping with the device. Do yourself a favor a search the forums, there have been PLENTY of threads on the subject and somewhere in there you'll find the information you need to make an informed decision.

Good luck.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Jumping with or without AAD is obviously always a personal choice but my advice would be that you might really want to take a careful look at your decision. Read all the facts and ask opinions from your instructors and from excperienced jumpers. As previous posters on this thread have allready said, this subject has been discussed before in this forum. Read this : http://www.cypres-usa.com/saves05b.pdf and ask yourself the question "Could one of these happend to me ?". There still hasn't been a single documented misfire on cypres that has led to a fatality but it has saved hundreds of lives of fellow skydivers. And when everything else fails it might just save yours.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

I don't intend to buy an AAD b/c my DZ doesn't require them

remember that many DZs (maybe not in the US?) do require AADs and if you plan on jumping elsewhere, it might be a problem.

and i think its a good thing to have anyway.

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I disagree with your logic.
Modern electronic AADs rarely mis-fire, however they have saved hundreds of lives.
The most common scenario involves an experienced jumper loosing track of altitude. An AAD can transform that lapse of attention from a fatality to a mere embarrassment.

I find it amusing that the popular definition of "mis-fire" has recently changed from 1,800 (FXC era) to 1,000 feet AGL (Cypres era).

NOBODY has any business freefalling below a grand.

[I disagree with your logic. ]

Well, okay, but remember that, given my ignorance, my conclusions are all tentative and my logic is subject to change. From what I gather from this thread and researching other strings, the case for AADs goes something like this.

1. The upside of the AAD is that is can save your life if, for whatever reason, you don't deploy a canopy.

2. The downside is that it can kill you if it misfires, causing a main/reserve entanglement.

3. Given the inevitable risks of skydiving and human frailties, there will always be a marginal risk that you won't deploy a canopy.

4. Modern technology is such that AADs, or at least Cypres AADs, never, or almost never, misfire.

5. Therefore, the advantage of having an AAD vastly outweighs the disadvantage of having one.

That seems a strong argument. Does anybody see any possible holes in that logic or its premises? Note that I left economic cost out of the equation. It's not that price doesn't matter (it does), it's just that I already understand that variable.