thermite

KURUPEE - BAD MONKEYS!!!

I've done a search and looked through some of the posts about Kurupee suits as I ordered a suit on the 14th April. Exactly 3 weeks later, they claimed they had finished my suit and it had been shipped and that I should expect to receive it in 3-5 days. I'm in the UK and I've now waited for a month. I've had the odd reply to my banging emails but all they've said is that they still haven't heard from their post office! I've checked with my tracking number and it is still definitely not in the UK (Even at customs) I see some people have had this sort of experience since back in 2003, it's really frustrating knowing that I've paid for this and they can't have the courtesy to even let me know when I should expect it! Anyone got any input on their experiences of shipping from Paraguay to the UK? >:(

I still haven't had a response from these guys. They don't answer the phone when I try to call the number on their web site, this is seriously weak!
I'm thinking I should contact Visa and see if I'm insured against being ripped off when buying over the internet.

I am sure this will not help you, but a year and a half ago I bought a suit from them. I did finally get the suit two weeks after they said I would get it. They feel that it should only take a couple of days to ship from there but it takes a lot longer. When I did receive it, it was not even close to what I had ordered the color swatch I ordered showed a blue and white mix of color, when I got it the suit was violet with blue and white flowers hand painted on it. The suit looked so gay there is no way I would ever wear it. I tried a couple of times to get a hold of them with no luck. I ended it finding someone at my DZ who liked it and sold it a $50 loss but atleast I got some of my money back.
I personally now will only buy for local ( in the US) companies that have a great rep.
Good Luck
Kirk

That's an unfortunate story but such a bad balls up it's funny! :D Thanks for cheering me up Talon!
It's 18:20 in the UK now and I've just managed to get hold of Blas (order enquiries person) and he's gone off to check with the post office and he claims he'll call me back in 20 mins. He was very apologetic and said that if it had been lost in transit somehow, they'd make me another one. I reckon a month is long enough to consider it 'lost in the post'

Just had a call back from Eddie at Kurupee, he's still waiting to hear back from their post office. If they don't know where it is and it hasn't reached customs in the UK when he speaks to them, he's going to consider it a loss and he's offered to either make me another as quickly as possible or give me a refund which is good. If this is genuinely a cock up by their postal service, I don't want to put anybody off buying from Kurupee, my only gripe with them is the lack of response for so long. Now that I've spoken in person to them, I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere!

I just got the suit that I ordered from them today. It took 28 days from the time I ordered it to the time that I got it, which is pretty good if you take into account that in order to get one that quick in the stated you have to pay for rush service.

The suit look great and seems to be very well built. It seems a little heavy, as in hot in the summer but I am happy with it.

I actually found their customer service to be relatively responsive and good.
They messed up my order last year. Right colors, decent fit, but wront suit altogether (the cheaper style, rather than the one I ordered, which was $70 more.) They were very apologetic and said they'd make me another one and I could keep the mistake.
Three weeks later, an identical suit to the first one arrived. Again, I told them about the error. Same response. Keep the suit and well make you a brand new one.
Eventually, my order arrived and it's a great suit. So now I have 3 freefly suits for the price of one. I already had a friend throw wings on one of the extras and I have a new camera suit. Not bad.

I had a problem with my suit that I ordered in Dec. From Jump 1 in it the zip off legs (that I didn't ask for) were coming unzipped. I tried all kinds of crap to keep them closed but nothing worked. I took them to my friend that owns a sewing machine dealership to see if she could sew the legs together where the zippers are. She said she could but she said the zipper was installed improperly and that's what was wrong with them. So I sent a long winded email to Kurupee complaining about the problem hoping they'd offer to fix them, and then I recommended that they light their remaining supply of Taslan on fire because it freakin' sucks for a jumpsuit. I chose it because I thought it would be more like the stuff other suit makers use but I was wrong. After I rec'd it I looked into the fabric. It's the same crap that is used to make Ski bibs. (If you like to go for swims in the pond it's great, damn near waterproof!:P) The stuff does not breathe. It's hard to fly because it balloons up from air entering the arms and legs and gives you a shitload of surface area! It's kind of uncomfortable at first because when it blows up it will float your rig off you back and really make you question whether or not you forgot something important. Anyway their customer service was great. They offered to make me a new suit out of cotton, with no leg zippers, and keep the old one. Just got the new one today and it's great. The leg and arm closures are the best i've seen. For the person that asked in an earlier post, attached is a photo of the same suit made in taslan on left, cotton on right. Got kind of fuzzy sizing it down so it would fit on the post but you'll get the idea.

I chased Eddie up today and he has spoken to their postal service, he claims that they sent a shipment to the wrong place and that it was very unusual for that to happen. The suit they have sent to me is on its way back to them apparently. It should only take up to 5 days for something to get to Europe.
Eddie offered me a refund or another suit, he said they'd start work on the suit now and have it ready in a week, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt as I know I can get a refund if it goes t!t$ up again. I'll wait a fortnight and see what happens!

I received my suit just under 3 weeks after I ordered it. The fit was perfect. I've put over 100 jumps on it so far and it still looks new and the seams are holding fine.

However, that plastic-backed taslan they use is simply insane. Especially in the heat. [:/]
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

To be honest I’m totally fed up with Kurupee. I feel really let down. I’ve had a good experience with them in the past and have recommended them before now. But given the troubles I’ve had with their suits this past year, and the troubles that are still ongoing, I can no longer recommend their products.

Last year a bought a pair of FF pants from them. They were great, exactly what I was looking for, really cheap, well made and a 3 week lead-time. So this year I decide I’m going to put together a bulk order to save on postage for my friends and I. We ordered 7 suits. They were over a month late and so would cut into our annual foreign trip. When I pointed this out to kurupee they split the order and sent some to the UK to friends who were about to leave for Spain to jump and others to the US for others to meet out there for our training in Perris.

The suits arrived and mine had the wrong colour stitching. A minor problem – otherwise the suit was perfect. Another of the suits was absolutely perfect and is a great FF suit. If they were all like this Kurupee would be amongst the greats in their industry. The other 5 orders are absolute shite. I cannot over emphasise how truly appalling they are. 2 don’t fit at all. We know it’s not an error with the measurements as they’re for the same guy (thus made from literally the same figures). The pants are too small (so bad he can’t actually get them on) and the suit is far too big round the waist yet has tight arms – despite it being ordered as really baggy for camera work.

On some suits the build quality is appalling, with seams miss-sewn, Velcro attached down only one side (with sewing close to the other sides but simply missing the Velcro!) and one arm had the cuff closing section sewn on backwards.

Don’t get taslan! It inflates and you look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. A skinny friend who ordered one of the 7 got his in taslan. It’s recommended to the lighter jumpers as it gives a faster fall rate compared to polly-cotton. It simply inflates so he does about 120 in sit. He finds it impossible to fly this suit. Wasted money. This isn’t an indictment of build quality, simply of a poor choice in material.

I e-mailed kurupee about the 2 suits for the same guy and complained that they didn’t fit. I happened to mention that my colours were wrong too just to highlight the number of errors they made with this order. I quickly received an apology with an offer to re-do the order on a rush and have them out to us free of charge. I was happy with this answer and accepted. These suits are now going on a month overdue of Kurupee’s standard lead-time. A chasing mail I sent over a week ago has gone unanswered. I guess I’ll have to write to them again once I’ve finished posting this.

This is really sad. They can make an awesome product, good quality, cheap and well designed. I hate to bash a manufacturer in this sport as there is so little scope to actually make any money but Kurupee can turn out some appalling aberrations that point to a complete absence of quality control. With just a little more effort they could make themselves one of the best suit manufacturers in the sport, but they let themselves down for want of a better trained labour force. It upsets me that I find myself in a possition where I feel compelled to crap on a company that I once wholeheartedly recommended.

Buying from kurupee is a lottery and that is a shame. You make strike it rich and get a wonderful suit for very little. You may get something that looks like it’s been made by a blind idiot with shovels for hands. I’m still waiting to hear if our order is going to be fixed for us as we were promised.

Don’t get taslan! It inflates and you look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man.

I agree with you about the suits, but "Taslan" is a trade name for a type of fabric, the problem you are having is the suit construction and design. Many manufacturers used "Taslan", just as they use "Suplex", or "Cordura" and have no issue with any of them.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well, I got the answer I was expecting when I emailed them a week later. Jenny replied very quickly when I asked how my suit was coming along. It should have been finished by now and getting shipped. She said it was still in production and would be one more week. I'll wait until Friday to get in touch again. Matthew, you're right, if they managed to pull their heads out of their arses and get organised, their business and reputation would improve. They must employ some real monkeys!! Lets hope we get the new suits! That's another thing, think of all the man hours and materials they're losing by remaking all these suits, it's ridiculous.

Well, this fiasco is still ongoing, Jenny called me back just over a week ago and she's now decided to tell me that one of their machines is f*ck$D and their lead time keep moving back and back. She assured me that my suit was a priority but could be ANOTHER 2 weeks but..... she didn't want to promise me. I emailed her to get an update on Monday just gone and she still hasn't replied, I just know, if/when this suit turns up, it's going to be a fucking mess and it will be completely wrong! I will then demand my money back and tell everyone I know not to go near them.

Same here - got an e-mail yesterday pushing delivery back 2-3 weeks.

I've promised to send the bad suits back for them to see where they're going wrong. As I said, if they can sort their problems out they are quite capable of producing top quality merchandise... it's just their quality control which is in issue at the moment.

No, this is me :D

Although my Kurupee suit came 3 weeks late (and to the wrong country!), it is OK. On mine, a lot of the seams on the wrist and ankle cuffs are frayed - no finishing done by the looks of it. Plus the quilted collar is coming undone, but I can fix that.

Mine was the worst of the 4 we ordered. Dissapointing, coz I love the cool design ;) (the red one some chicks are modellig on the home page)

Laters,
Stu

Hi Stu, I think your suit looks good, I guess any trivial jobs like those you mention are easily dealt with.
I sent Jenny at Kurupee another rant yesterday morning because nobody replied to my last email. She replied back last night and said my new suit was now finished and she was going to ship it at the end of their working day yesterday and I will be getting a tracking number today :)Hopefully, I should have the suit in under 5 days (not holding my breath)

ps. Stu, you posted that vid anywhere yet? I copied it from Dave's tape to my VHS, I've nearly worn it out showing friends and family! I couldn't believe that you can actually hear the prop as it flys past you! ;)

For the vid check the first post in this thread

The avatar is a tracking dive (taken from the ground with a bloody huge lens). The rabbit and two followers had smoke canisters. I'm the speck just below the rabbit...

Check here for some stills.

If you want, I'll send you the ground shots - PM me your email address.