Flyinmoo

Hi I'm new, help me?

Hi Dropzone, I am new to this forum and to the whole "flying" topic.

Ill make this as quick and simple as I can.

I am a 24yr old male residing in Los Angeles, CA, wanting to get into wingsuit flying. I have read (quick research) and it said I need atleast 200 sky dives etc.

Basically, what do I do in order for me to qualify for wingsuit flying? Is there a fast/slower process, cost, training(?) etc.

Mind you, I have NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING..
I just really want to fly.. Not even a tiny bit funny.

I made this decision today, and Im very firm on it. This is something I really want to do. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you guys.

One step at a time. Find a local dropzone, talk to them about training, sign up and give them a large briefcase full of cash. Pretty much everything in this sport involves you giving someone a large briefcase full of cash.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

More specifically, use the "dropzones" tab at the top of this page to find a DZ in Southern California. Actually go there and repeat your question. You might want to go to a couple of dropzones to see what kind of vibe you get. Good luck.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Look at the USPA directory, and find a dropzone near you. Feel free to come back to this site, and ask opinions of the dropzone's safety and efficacy. You can't go wrong. Enjoy. I'm sure it will be a life changing experience for you, as it has been for many people on this site. ;)

We are all engines of karma

FlyingRhenquest

One step at a time. Find a local dropzone, talk to them about training, sign up and give them a large briefcase full of cash. Pretty much everything in this sport involves you giving someone a large briefcase full of cash.

No, most DZs these days take credit cards too. :)

Seriously, he's right.

Go out to the nearest DZ and ask about a "First Jump Course." Since you are in LA, Perris or Elsinore would be your best bets.
Once you've done your first jump, follow the progression to your A licence.
Wingsuits are an advanced discipline, and you need to develop a variety of important skills and knowledge sets to move into them. That's why there is a minimum jump number for them. It's important.
But you don't need to fly a wingsuit to have an amazing time jumping. It is one of many disciplines in the sport. Plain old, ordinary, garden variety skydiving is pretty cool too.
You may decide to progress into a wingsuit, you may decide to try freeflying, you may want to go into canopy piloting.
Or you may find that bellyflying is enough of a challenge to keep you occupied.

Welcome, and good luck.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yup, you can actually fly pretty well with just your body. About 80% of my skydives have been tracking jumps. But it's kind of hard to talk about tracking with someone who has never done a skydive and may not have even read that much about it.

I'm also not entirely sure I'd have handled my first wingsuit jump as well as I did without the additional tunnel time learning how to fly my body. As it was, it felt very natural, but it's kind of an intimidating thing, restricting your range of movement as the wingsuit does. On my first flight with it, the thought popped into my head almost immediately that I was good with this but I definitely saw why they wanted you to wait at least 200 skydives to get into it. Some very scary stuff can happen on a wingsuit jump, and you need to be able to remain calm and deal with such emergencies.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

If you really want to get into wingsuits, I'd suggest going to Elsinore. DSE has a great program there, so you might as well start there with AFF.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thank you guys for all your replies, and I have decided that Lake Elisnore is the most reasonable dropzone for me. However, as I was browsing through different dropzone sites, I realized that the AFF courses all differ in price, ranging from 299-1000. Why is this? Is the 1000 the full course compared to just a portion for 299? I will start slow with my questions..loll. Thank you guys in advanced.

Different places include more or less for their "AFF Packages." There's some variation, but usually not a whole lot of cost difference, especially in the same region.

Some are just the First Jump Course and the actual first jump, others include more than one jump, it can be hard to make a direct comparison sometimes.

Elsinore is a well known DZ with a good reputation. In that area, Perris Valley is also a good place.

Beware that some DZ websites are for places that don't actually exist. There's a scam that makes sites for just about every city in the US and then sells gift certificates that you may have to travel several hours to redeem.
If they try to sell you a gift certificate, ask where they are located, and be very careful buying anything over the phone or online.
If you find a place that you aren't sure of, post a link to the site on here. There are a few people who know these scamners fairly well and will be more than happy to help you steer clear of them.

Again, Elsinore is a very real place and you will not go wrong with them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Flyinmoo

Thank you guys for all your replies, and I have decided that Lake Elisnore is the most reasonable dropzone for me. However, as I was browsing through different dropzone sites, I realized that the AFF courses all differ in price, ranging from 299-1000. Why is this? Is the 1000 the full course compared to just a portion for 299? I will start slow with my questions..loll. Thank you guys in advanced.

As wolfriverjoe mentioned, the 299 is probably just FJC and first jump. Other packages will consist of the FJC and all 7 AFF jumps (and other places may also include a tandem). Further, you may also see packages for the full A-license, which would include FJC, 7 AFF jumps, and then an additional 18 jumps (with a variable number including a coach) to get your A license; those packages would be in the $2-3k range. (And some will include additional things such as a bound copy of the SIM, a Log book, USPA membership, and/or possibily even some accessories like goggles, etc). In general, the full license packages will save you a lot, but the downside is you'd have to front all the moeny at the start. Before you are licensed, gear rental would be included in the price, but after that, you will need your own (unless you want to jump rental gear all the time).

To get to 200 jumps, you will need an A license, your own gear (rig, altimeter, helmet, goggles, suit, etc), so you'd be wise to cost it out on that basis.

Welcome to our little world. As an AFFI for 20 years and a wingsuiter, here are my two cents. break up your goal of wingsuiting into more easily handled pieces. First concentrate really hard to become a SAFE, heads up skydiver during AFF. Get some coaching after you graduate to expand your skill sets. Get your licenses. Learn the fun art of tracking dives. Finally, get with a wingsuit instructor find out what they recommend for reaching your goals. Ask questions of QUALIFIED jumpers. LOVE EVERY MINUTE YOU PUT IN THE SPORT. Hope your journey is safe, fun and wish fulfilling.

Flyinmoo

Hi Dropzone, I am new to this forum and to the whole "flying" topic.

Ill make this as quick and simple as I can.

I am a 24yr old male residing in Los Angeles, CA, wanting to get into wingsuit flying. I have read (quick research) and it said I need atleast 200 sky dives etc.

Basically, what do I do in order for me to qualify for wingsuit flying? Is there a fast/slower process, cost, training(?) etc.

Mind you, I have NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING..
I just really want to fly.. Not even a tiny bit funny.

I made this decision today, and Im very firm on it. This is something I really want to do. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you guys.

My first jump was 26 months ago and my goals were the same as yours.

Expect things to be harder than you would guess.
Expect setbacks due to things ourside your control, weather, DZ closed, who knows what.
Expect to spend more than you would estimate. If you can afford to spend $12,000, you should be able to get your training, get a used rig, and get your 200 jumps. Then you will also need $$$ for a wingsuit or you can rent one.

I struggled with some things as a student and spending months, rather then weeks to get your A license is not uncommon. But after 7 months (including a winter) I had my license and the number of jumps per month slowing increased. I slowly worked my way up to 114 jumps and then with a long vacation, got to 200 and did my first flight. Being "current" is important. Having 150 jumps in the past year and 200 total is better than having 200 jumps total and only 50 of them being in the last year, when you are looking at your first wingsuit flight.

So, to me the best "fast track" would be to take it easy at first, study like your life depends on your knowledge, remind yourself that no matter how smart you might be, that the experience of others is priceless. If you want to hurry and get there, it would be better to "hurry" after you have 100+ jumps behind you, as those first 100 are very critical for your good basic habits to be formed. Then a compressed timeline in the end will/should get you to a very current state for your first flight.

As someone has said already, the journey is part of the fun as well. Learning new things, making new friends, being in the sport long enough to learn things you are not even aware you need today are all things that happen along the way.

If asked for one piece of advice about reaching your goal, it would be this......when you add any, and I mean any extra risk to your skydiving, ask yourself this question, "Does doing this jump increase the chances that I will be sidelined and not able to continue learning, or delayed in reaching my goals". Someday you will have to decide on things like "is the wind to much right now?", "should I stay with this larger canopy when others are getting smaller/faster canopies?", "do the night jumps Friday night?" While we all know we might get hurt on the very next jump, getting hurt will almost always delay your jumping, even if you just twist your ankle. If flying the WS is your real goal and objective, keep focused on that and don't be distracted by being the cool guy that does risky stuff.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

...along with the reading, did the "quick research" also include seeing 60 minutes last Sunday?
There are others here much more experienced than I weighing in on your desire to wingsuit fly. It would be good to heed their advise ESPECIALLY if you've gotten feedback from an instructor in this forum.
I don't think anyone here (including me) wants to throw a wet blanket on your dream but since you've already admitted you have "no idea what I'm doing"...One step at a time amigo and chances are you'll get the same advise if you go out to Elsinore or Perris.

So, the path to get to where you want to go will depend on where you want to go. Since you didn't specifiy, I need to understand what your destination is. Do you want to fly wingsuits out of airplanes or BASE jump ( Off of cliffs and mountains)?

The path for both is long, but the path for BASE is much longer.

First, you have to become a skydiver. To do that, you must complete AT LEAST 7 levels of formal training, then be guided through a less structured series of modules that culminate in the accumulation of a minimum of 25 jumps with the requisite skills accounted for. Upon successful completion of that, you will sit for a written exam, then, if you pass, you will take a practical exam. IF/whenyou pass that you will have your first license.

Next you will get gear. Plan on spending some fairly hefty money for this. You can get used gear for ~$3000 or so and new gear will set you back ~$5500-7500 (depending on options).

Then you will need to rack up some jumps (200 is the bare minimum, most have ~500 when they take the first flight course [FFC]). You will need to become an expert at stabilty recovery and altitude awareness. You will also need to have better spotting skills than most as you will be farther out than your fellow jumpers. Having gotten all that, you will transition to the next level, the FFC.

Once you take the FFC, you will then be guided though then levels and skills to be safe in the air.

If wingsuiting out of airplanes is your destination, you path will more or less end here, with a future of lifetime learning and fun ahead.

If you want to do BASE, then you got what amounts to an entire second path ahead.

Once you become a competent wingsuit pilot, you then need to become a highly skilled BASE jumper. Then, and only then, can you think about taking a suit off a cliff.

To start, you can get some insight into what is required by making aircraft jumps that mimic BASE, namely choppers and balloons. Choppers have near zero exit airspeed and balloons have zero. Both are an absolute blast in their own right and are cool even if you decide BASE isn't for you.

There are more than a few schools that can help you with transition to BASE and even some can help with wingsuit instruction. Let your instructors/coaches and helpful others know what your intentions are at every step of the way and don't let anyone, for any reason, talk you into doing something you don't want to do or don't feel safe doing.

So, you're young, and capable, you'll go far and fast. Good luck and welcome aboard. Show up at a drop zone, have money to spend and we'll do the rest.:)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717