mandylyn75

Hi, Very Important Question!! (promises to keep)

I am planning a tandem skydive with my 18 year old son. He asked me when he was 12 if I would take him skydiving and I said "sure, when your 18". At the time, that seemed like a lifetime ago, well guess what...... To my surprise, he never forgot that promise and has since reminded me at just about every birthday. I have been looking at places to go and I really want to get a video because for me, this will be a once in a lifetime event and a great memory with my son. My problem is the cost, I have not found anywhere we can go for less than around $600 for the jump and videos. I am trying to purchase all of his necessities for college in August and just do not have that much money left over. I really do not want to break my promise to my son but I would love to find something a little more affordable. Do any of you know of any options we may have? Thank you so much in advance.
:)

$600 is about normal.

Per jumper: $200 jump, $100 video isn't all that abnormal though there are drop zones that charge a little less.

I'd suggest searching here for drop zones near you and call them.

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/

We could be of more help if we knew where you are located.

Good luck!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I dont mind driving even over 100 miles if its a good deal.

There's a lot more to it than finding a place that's "a good deal". A good dropzone with a good owner that takes good care of their equipment, including their airplane, and pays a decent wage to the tandem instructors and videographers, isn't going to be much cheaper than the rates you're talking about.

Edit to add: A lot of dropzones have group discounts. Call around your area and ask them about group rates. My home DZ, for example, gives anyone who brings in a group of 10-12 (I'm not sure about the exact number) a free tandem. Then get busy recruiting your friends to go jump with you.
Owned by Remi #?

I agree with labrys here. Skydiving isn't exactly the type of sport or activity where you want to take the cheapest place or the best deal. If every other place has similar pricing, and one is MUCH lower, you need to ask yourself WHY that might be.

I know it can be pricey, but you do get what you pay for. Use the link Pops suggested to find a reputable USPA DZ near you and read the reviews. Call them and ask questions. $600 for two tandem jumps with video is the standard price I have seen for anywhere I have jumped in the MW over the last two years.

kenthediver

In the UK you can do sponsored tandems if you jump on behalf of a charity,

Not a normal thing to do in the US as far as I know.
Charity events exist, but aren't common.
(The whole UK charity jumping scene seems a bit weird to us over on this side of the atlantic.)

Welcome to the forums! :) My kids are in college, so I know all too well about the expenses involved with Freshman year. Most tandem passengers don't think about things like airplane maintenance, tandem master experience levels, or the gear being used, but we sure do. Those are the things that should be at the top of your list. That's where the dropzone reviews should come in handy for you.

The idea that one poster had about only your son getting video is a good one. When you do narrow down your choices, tell us the dropzones you're considering and we'll let you know our thoughts.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Your lucky its $600 over here two tandems and 2 dvds would cost over a grand

jumps $400 each video $130 each I always get hate email when I mention this uncomfortable fact here in Aus. In the good ole USA you have competition unlike here.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??