Namowal

Noob Cartoon:AFF level 3 (I do better this time)

More skydiving duck antics.

AFF 3, Take two, with a twist.

Still nervous and klutzy, but making progress.

p.s. Maybe this should be posted in the Bonfire forum? I've been adding new entries here fore continuity, but this is technically an "introduction" area so I don't want to be hogging the spotlight.:$
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Great job both in completing the level and sharing it with the rest of us! I really enjoyed the canopy with line twist.

I always keep an eye out for your new posts. They really brighten my day. You should start posting this in the Bonfire so that more people can enjoy it.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Fear Noogie!!!

:D:D:D:D That was great. I also loved the twisted canopy!

Thanks for adding your video. You're doing great! Well done. :)
And I agree with Southern Man -- start posting these in Bonfire! I love it when I see a new cartoon posted. Keep up the good work, on your art AND your skydiving! B|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

That didn't look too bad, you are making progress. You'll soon start arching instinctively as soon as you hit the wind.

You'll soon sort out things so you can enjoy the view a bit more. Plenty of time for that.....

Get a hair tie to sort out your hair, you don't want it flapping around near the risers when you get opening shock.

Twists, no biggie, but you now are aware when something is different, so you know you will recognise a problem if you have one. All these little things add up your experience level, and will contribute to you gaining confidence as you go on, so the fear monster is going to get smaller as time goes on....

Keep it going....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Love it!

One question: The face of the clock-monster which is trying to distract you from pulling on time in freefall, the numbers around the dial say something like "Golly it's mighup". What is that last word supposed to be?

Oh wait, I just got it: "Golly it's high up"!

Put them in Bonfire, they deserve as wide an audience as possible!

Thanks, SouthernMan , mrubin and Trigirl!

Get a hair tie to sort out your hair, you don't want it flapping around near the risers when you get opening shock.

Good point, obelixtim . I'm already planning some workarounds to keep the hair out of the way for the next jump.

Oh wait, I just got it: "Golly it's high up"!

John Rich: That's it. I was wondering if anyone would notice.:)Thanks

I say keep them here :)
As a fellow Noob, your cartoons help me to visualize my fears and then dominate them! And who cares if you command more attention here; your cartoons are awesome and deserve to be paid attention to. If you do start posting them on the Bonfire, let us know so we can go over there and see the latest ones B|

The Bonfire is fine and more people will read it there. Use the same thread and post new cartoons to that thread so it makes it easier for people to follow.

You can also pm Meso and ask if he'd like to feature the cartoon on the Home Page. We need new content! I think it pays about as well as what the Mods get (which is nothing) but you might get all the fame and glory that we have. :ph34r:

In addition, you can also make a link to your thread in your sig line with a clicky. Check out the "get markup help" above the reply box if you don't know how, or pm a friendly Mod for help. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm a big fan of your cartoons, as you do a fantastic job of describing personal emotions through your images.

But here's a nitpick for you. When you show AFF instructors holding onto you in freefall, they each have one hand on a leg gripper that is drawn as a loop of material that is not attached to the leg along it's entire length. Such a thing would actually be dangerous if jumpsuits were really made like that, as sooner or later, someone would throw a pilot chute through the loop, giving a pilot chute in tow or horseshoe malfunction. I would like to see you draw that more technically correct, with the gripper attached to the leg of the jumpsuit along it's entire length, without an open loop.

I know that's a stupid thing to complain about - it is just a cartoon, after all, and it doesn't have to be technically correct, as that's not the point of the drawings. If you made everything too detailed it might actually detract from the message, and the only real point about the grippers is that the instructors are holding onto you. But for some reason I cringe when I see that.

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest, I'll go back to just enjoying your stories. Thank you!

I notice in that vid that you had a lot of hair flying around in freefall. Please discuss the significance of this with your instructors.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Actually I noticed it too and, fearing it might get tangled with the risers on deployment, bought myself a little skullcap style hat to tuck my hair into. It fits under the helmet and works great (I tried it with my AFF 4 attempt) no more flying hair!B|
As for how I did on level 4... ...stay tuned. :)

When you show AFF instructors holding onto you in freefall, they each have one hand on a leg gripper that is drawn as a loop of material that is not attached to the leg along it's entire length. Such a thing would actually be dangerous if jumpsuits were really made like that, as sooner or later, someone would throw a pilot chute through the loop, giving a pilot chute in tow or horseshoe malfunction. I would like to see you draw that more technically correct, with the gripper attached to the leg of the jumpsuit along it's entire length, without an open loop.

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest, I'll go back to just enjoying your stories. Thank you!

Actually I've taken serious liberties with the equipment, and am rather surprised nobody's called me on it sooner. Part of this is because this was originally drawn for friends who didn't skydive, and part of it is cartoon shorthand. For example, the cartoon of me about to do a tandem exit with "Captain Backflip" doesn't have me connected properly. And at least one of my AFF exits pics has an instructor holding each grip with the wrong hand!

That being said, I'm impressed that the "loop" grippers caught your attention not so much as an error but as a safety hazard. If you can glance at a situation (real or hypothetical) and think - that would be dangerous because... I think you have the right mindset. At least in my opinion.:)

the most creative part of this cartoon is the concept that you're a goofy looking little duck, and the pictures seem to contrast yourself to the pros who are conveyed as big lanky attractive swans. Kind of reminds me "the ugly duckling".

This should be turned into a full length animation. Who knows, DZOs might be able to use this concept as some kind of intro video for their first jump course! I love the "fear noogie" hahaha.

I know that's a stupid thing to complain about - it is just a cartoon, after all, and it doesn't have to be technically correct, as that's not the point of the drawings.

OMG, John, that's really nitpicky! Did you see the photo of the VS Arizone Airspeed in ESPN magazine? They don't even have their leg or chest straps on (except for Sara Curtis who is covering her boobies). It's just creative license!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

the most creative part of this cartoon is the concept that you're a goofy looking little duck, and the pictures seem to contrast yourself to the pros who are conveyed as big lanky attractive swans. Kind of reminds me "the ugly duckling".

Well, it's sorta true. I'm awkward, clumsy, and nervous. A true fish-out-of-water at the DZ. This only makes me more determined to learn skydiving. Not that I expect it to make me a swan, but I don't want to fall into the trap of "I'm to nervous (or awkward or clumsy) to skydive so I won't bother leaning.":)

This should be turned into a full length animation. Who knows, DZOs might be able to use this concept as some kind of intro video for their first jump course! I love the "fear noogie" hahaha.

Heh heh, I'm glad you think so. I've dabbled in animation (Flash) but it would take me a long time to crank out a full length cartoon.