shorehambeach

Newbie Question (take it easy!) Done Tandem but AFF...

Hello from England Everyone !

My hands are sweating just writing this. I am not sure if that a good start :)

Did a tandem at Skydive Las Vegas @ 15,000Ft last month [the team there were superb] now been obsessed watching Skydive videos on youtube .... bravely in the safety of my office.

It was AWESOME. Its wierd going up in the plane as - like most sane people - I am scared of heights and normally get to land with the plane !

It felt like a magnet pushing me away from the door, i noticed on the video that I am holding onto the bar in the plane all the way up - then out we went and it was just incredible....

I've been really thinking about stage 1 AFF...

i think I can but i can't imagine how it will be going out without being strapped to an instructor ...

My heart is racing now but I guess thats why i want to do it....

I'd really like to hear from everyone/anyone on the transition from tandem to AFF 1.

Sitting here behind my desk i can't imagine stepping out....then flying the canopy.....but then i don't think i can imagine not doing it.

Thanks.

(I am lucky enough to work in USA occasionally with the Veterans Administration so I'd jump in the USA as the weather is better !)

Hey there!
Seems like you caught the bug bad! You could always do another tandem and put your nerves at ease some. It is a transition but for the better. Flying your own body feels quite different but you grasp it quick and after you build confidence you won't have any worries about leaving that plane. When I did my first tandem, I thought.."How do those people do that?" Was nervous on my 1st AFF jump but after I loved it!!:)keep us posted on your progress. Good luck, be safe and have fun:)

The anxiety is normal, it'll get better with each jump.

But that's also what makes it exciting!

I didn't sleep the night before my first AFF jump. Red bull is my friend.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

i have done two tandem frontrides. the first was my first jump, the second was on jump 102.

once you learn the basics in your first jump course, you should be ready to jump by yourself.

everything you do in life is a little "leap of faith." in skydiving, it literally is a "leap of faith."

have faith in what you were taught and the ability to act on it, have faith in the instructors that are literally by your side, have faith in the equipment (it's a parachute, it wants to be open), and most importantly have faith in yourself. once you leave the plane you are committed and there is no time for "can i do this?". you just do it and you will love it.

once you get in a few jumps will realize tandems are way more scary;)

"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Namowal went through the exact same thing. Two tandems and then AFF.

She blogged about it with cartoon drawings. It's been a pretty big hit here on DZ.com.

Tandem #2

AFF1

AFF2

She tells the story far, far better than anyone I've seen before.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Do another tandem....tell the TI your intentions of doing AFF.... have him show you how to use the toggles and identify the holding area- then when you are under canopy you can get the feel for steering and finding the landing area. I'll be the first one to say I was terrified to jump out of a plane, but driven to do it. I'm only 8 jumps into AFF, but now I can't wait to stand in the doorway and fly. Don't let your mind make this into something it's not. Use the time up there to get away from thinking too much. Get the training and you will not believe how quickly you will be grinning in freefall. Good luck and Blue Skies!
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

15k ft wtf i never get 15k ft! >:(

I wonder.
I don't know that particular DZ, but some Las Vegas area DZ's are known to be tandem mills.

So they may say 15K but with Vegas at around 2k, it may only be a 13k jump above ground level.

If it were 15k above the ground (17k above sea level), one would also get into FAA oxygen rules for passengers (and USPA too, if it is a USPA DZ.)

Depending on how info about the jump was phrased, the DZ could be lying or just trying to deceive.

Welcome to the sport. I was where you are about 7 months ago.

I did a tandem the day before my AFF course. I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't utterly freak out, so the main purpose was to make that go/no go decision for doing AFF. But it also gave me the experience of exiting the plane at 14K, freefalling at 120 mph (the wind; the noise), having the chute open to slow me down, a bit of experience flying the canopy, and got me a bit familiar with what the LZ looks like from the air. I think that was very valuable, and meant that when I was jumping and had to do stuff myself, I at least was somewhat familiar with the environment I was in (although certainly not yet comfortable being there :o ).

So for me, I don't think a second tandem would have been worth the cost, although I'm sure it would have been of some benefit. (I now have my own rig, so what I saved is equivalent to 6-7 jumps now.)

AFF level 1 you have two instructors holding on to you the whole time, from exit to deploy, and if you completely zone out they will pull your main for you. (Yeah, you can find YouTube videos where they manage to fall off, but many more where they do not; and I don't think any where they fell off but were unable to get back on.) A tandem is probably around the same price as redoing a level 1-3 (where there are 2 instructors), and one question you might ask yourself is: what would be the better prior experience to help you pass a particular AFF level: a failed attempt at that same level, or having made a second tandem jump before your FJC?

But that's just for me. And I did my tandem the day before my FJC, so no layoff between that and my AFF 1 jump, so the experience was still fresh in my mind. I know that everyones fears/anxieties/confidence under stressful situations can be very different, and a second tandem could be very valuable.

Well its put up or shut up time (or as my american cousins say "sh*t or get off the pot")

I fly from the UK to Florida to start my AFF @ Deland on Thursday with Skydive University

:)

B|

Stay safe & enjoy!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nice! Best instructors around....if you get a chance, go to the tunnel too, it's really worth spending 15-30 minutes there before or during AFF. I'll be out there on Friday, weather permitting...any idea who your instructor will be?
One tip....don't forget to try one of Chromy's sausage sandwiches at the Perfect Spot....amazing.
Blue Skies!
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

Deland had some amazing instructors when I was out there. I was fresh out of my AFF done at skydive space centre and still had confidence issues so one of the instructors said they would happily come with me for a jump ticket and a beer. My experience there was awesome. Nice big DZ and loved the bar terrace to chill out in when your crotch gets a bit sore!

Good luck with the AFF. Enjoy it and don't forget the beers!

D you have any idea where you'll be jumping when you get back to the UK?