samyueru

Protec + Noise

So...
I finally got my own helmet, instead of bumming one off of the DZ - a nice new protec, which I promptly jumped. During the jump, I noticed my ears were hurting a bit, and were slightly blocked by the time I got to the ground - hurt a little the rest of the day. Upon examination of the helmet, I saw that there's no padding over the ears and "vents" - which obviously contributed to the noise.

I was thinking about taking some foal and taping it over the ear vents. Has anyone done that and had success? Or other methods? Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to get some ear plugs - damn, that hurt!

On a sidenote - has anyone airbrushed/painted these puppies? Plain black is just not my thing.

Thanks!

-Alex

I suspect using a whole foal would be quite unpractical and cutting one down to size will more likely than not get you some really weird looks.:P
Okay, that was too good to pass up. Anyway, Parasport's Fairwind helmet, which is more or less a copy of the Protec, comes with removable padding over the ear vents. I haven't actually checked out a Protec up close, but if it's like the Fairwind, you just need to cut the foam in the shape of holes and you won't even need to tape it down.

If you airbrush or paint it, make sure you do a good job so it won't flake off anytime soon. Or you can do like this guy I know and cover your new helmet with artificial fur. His white/black pattern make him look like he skinned a cow, but the overall effect is quite cool.

I got a sheet of 3/8" thick latex foam from a hobby store and cut some pieces out of if that I just stick in the ear. The foam is large enough to get pinched between the helmet liner and the shell all the way around; it shifts a bit sometimes but it stays in pretty well.

It doesn't block sound as much as earplugs, so sometimes (i.e. when I remember / have time) wear earplugs underneath it. I will look into putting gaffer tape on the outside of the helmet over the ear slots.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

i jump a protec with no covering over the ears at all. my dytter hangs in the breeze, but i can hear it fine. i don't jump more than once or twice a day, weekends only, so i don't know what effects it would have on a busy jumper...
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I doubt your ears hurt from the sound. It's just not that loud. If the sound really did hurt then many other common things in life would also. You may not have been able to equalize the pressure due to a cold or other congestion. THAT can be a problem and cause pain.

As to the noise, if I want to cut it down I use like colored duct tape, for black gaffer's tape would be better, to cover the vent from the outside. Open cell foam probably wouldn't do much. Closed cell foam or just another piece of plastic taped to the inside would probably help more.

Don't do anything permanent. If you start doing CRW you WANT to be able to hear.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

*ahem* Foam.

Thanks for all the tips.

Well, if it wasn't the sound, I'm pretty sure it was something to do with my ears being exposed and not covered. Not sick or congested or anything! Never happened to me before.. I guess it could have been a fluke, but either way...nice and semi-quiet without having to wear ear plugs is a plus. (the whole CRW thing is a reason I don't want to have to rely on earplugs)

Any reason I should tape it on the outside as opposed to the inside? (it just seems like it'd look better inside)

-Alex

So...
I finally got my own helmet, instead of bumming one off of the DZ - a nice new protec, which I promptly jumped. During the jump, I noticed my ears were hurting a bit, and were slightly blocked by the time I got to the ground - hurt a little the rest of the day. Upon examination of the helmet, I saw that there's no padding over the ears and "vents" - which obviously contributed to the noise.

I was thinking about taking some foal and taping it over the ear vents. Has anyone done that and had success? Or other methods? Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to get some ear plugs - damn, that hurt!

On a sidenote - has anyone airbrushed/painted these puppies? Plain black is just not my thing.

Thanks!

-Alex

I just put tape over the insides of the ear vents to keep the noise/wind down.

Regarding the painting, take a look at the skydiving section on my website. Better yet. Look at the attached pic. This is my pro-tec which I painted myself;)
__

My mighty steed

I doubt your ears hurt from the sound. It's just not that loud. ...

Open cell foam probably wouldn't do much.

Don't do anything permanent. If you start doing CRW you WANT to be able to hear.;)

I don't find the sound painful until I've ridden in the 182 for an hour and had 3 minutes of freefall. Then I don't find it painful, I just hear a bit of background hiss the rest of the day. :|

My major concern is that sound doesn't have to be painful to slowly cause deafness.

Closed cell foam really doesn't help enough. It makes a definite difference, it's so cheap as to be free, it's easily removed and replaced in a Pro-tec's ears, and it'll be with you to provide a modicum of improvement every jump you remember your helmet. That's why I did it.

I'll give closed cell foam a try, though. It would rock if it worked better than open-cell foam.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Yes Protecs are very noisy. I did about 200 jumps with one. I have found them to be more noisy than not wearing a helmet at all.

Sticking some tape over the holes makes a big difference as the wind can whistle through the holes making things louder (I used to struggle to hear my Time-Out!). Just stick the tape on the INSIDE, so that it is more discreet than tons of tape over the outside of your helmet.

Blue skies

Paul

Absolutely right, it doesn't have to be rock concert loud to damage your hearing. I wear earplugs in the plane, and a snug fitting bonehead in freefall, and I have noticable hearing loss after a few years.

I bought huge boxes of earplugs and hand them out to whoever needs them. I keep extra pairs in my jumpsuits, in my helmet liner -- just about everywhere.

Do whatever it takes to make it quiet. Your grandkids will thank you for not having to shout. ;)

j

Yep. I cut a little hole in the tag of my jumpsuit, and have earplugs on a string attached. That way I don't have to remember them, they remember me.

Also, you can wash earplugs, and pop them into the dryer, if they get too nasty. You can't do it too many times, but 2-3 times and they'll still compress.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I use a protec, use earplugs and find that I hear my audible better with them.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have my dytter inside the helmet and there's plenty of room for it. Just slap a piece of black gaffer's tape over the ear holes and it'll cut down on the wind into your ears a lot.

Blue Skies,
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry