droquette

Wings options suggestions

I have decided to get a new wings rig since i cant find anything satisfactory for my size. i am planning on ordering it with colapsible pilot chute, articulated, cut in laterals, and stainelss hardware since i live near the ocean... i was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on a new rig!
blue skies,
danny
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

freefly pud!
freefly pud!
freefly pud!
freefly pud!

It's a more advanced system than the plain ol' hackey. Much better than other manufacturers puds, which are simple alternates to a hackey - this system is actually an improvement giving you a safer deployment system, more resistant to some forms of premature deployments.

Ok, some are.

For example, Vortex II containers and Javelin Odyssey's can be ordered with a pud which do simply take the place of the hackey.

Wings pud's are different in that they are stiffened and cover the mouth of the BOC instead of just sitting it the mouth like some other designs.

freefly pud!
freefly pud!
freefly pud!
freefly pud!

It's a more advanced system than the plain ol' hackey. Much better than other manufacturers puds, which are simple alternates to a hackey - this system is actually an improvement giving you a safer deployment system, more resistant to some forms of premature deployments.

The wings puds I inspected a couple weekends ago did not look to be any sort of spectacular design.

IMO Mirage has the most secure pud system both for pull out and throw out. It has a twin tuck tab system.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The difference is not in the design so much (at least not up to 6 months or so ago) as in what you do with the pud during packing.

The old pud had a stiffened edge made by rolling and sewing the material making up the pud. The new design has a plastic swadge in it to create the same stiffened edge.

This stiffened edge is pushed under the bridle cover and is held tight by the shape of the rig. The pud faces back towards the boc and covers the mouth of the boc so there is aboslutely no pilot chute or bridle exposed. Other puds face away from the boc out towards the side of the rig.

I can't comment on the mirage as I've never seen on of their pud's but on all the other pud designs I've seen (I'm sure far from everything out there) the pud simply sits in the mouth of the boc or hangs there like a hackey. These designs do not offer the increased protection descirbed above.

I am 6' 215 and have been looking for 3 months for a used rig.. everything i find is either not freefly friendly and cheap or so expensive that i rather order it brand new... the few deals i have found --the sellers end up selling it to somebody local.. so i am sick and tired of waiting for a rig to fall in my lap.... plus the rental fees are killing my jump $$

I second the freestyle handle, I have ~200 jumps with mine. I'd do some pulls on the ground to get used to it, but I love it because its always "right there" when I go for it.

I also have the cordura pouch. The mouth is a little more open than a (new-ish) spandex pouch, but the freestyle handle covers it up. I'm curious to see how I will hold up in the long hall.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

IMO Mirage has the most secure pud system both for pull out and throw out. I has a twin tuck tab system.

wings has a twin tuck tab on the pud for pull out. and on my old rig i put about 600+ jumps on never had any problem (aka, falling out of the pocket), and still fits in like it was new (which i'm pretty sure the mirage is the same way)

later

thanks for all the great suggestions.. now i need to pick the colors... i will order it with the pud as well as the cordura BOC.., what about the longer riser covers? everybody agree on that option?
thanks again!!
dan

freefly pud!
freefly pud!
freefly pud!
freefly pud!

This sort of advise drives me nuts! :S

If the freefly pud was far superior, then it would become a standard.

There are many OPTIONS in skydiving. Most of the new gear on the market is awesome, tried, true and for the most part, safe.

We are at a point in the sport where we can pick brands and options based on PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Hell, sometimes it even comes down to styley points.

Hackeys are good. Freefly Puds are good. There are pros and minor cons to both. What feels good in your hand?

That being said, have a look around at the gear that you find appealing. Then call a qualified dealer and ask about the differences between your choices. They can help you find what is right for you.

You already mention a Wings in the title. Sounds like that container system is one you like. It is a good modern sport rig with great features.

Looks like you like the set in lats and stainless. Also consider, kill-line pilot chute, Hook Knife (just in case), RSL.

Enjoy you gear. Sounds like this is a really exciting time for you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

This sort of advise drives me nuts!

It was a suggestion.

How long have they been around? Long enough to become standard? Not everything becomes standard quickly. I can't see any disadvantages of a pud compared to a hackey, except for its not bouncing around and sticking out...;)
(Nope, i don't say a hackey is NOT GOOD!)
Chill!:P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

That's why we all jump rigs with non-stainless large 3-rings. We all know they provide superior safety when compared to stainless mini-rings, but as it's only a small difference in safety and we have other things to consider (such as aesthetics and comfort) so we choose stainless mini-rings. Like all things, it’s a balancing act.

The Wings pud IMO provides better security for your main deployment system than a hackey or many other pud designs.

That's not to say it's a huge difference - I mean, how many hackies oscillate in the wind to pull out the ZP pilot chute from a not-as-tight-as-it-should-be BOC per year? Not that many I bet. How many hackey systems present a little bit of tape to a snag risk in the door of the plane causing a premature on exit per year? Even fewer probably.

I’m not saying that its miles better and everyone who uses a hackey is a psycho taking their life in their hands. Just that, IMO the Wings pud design, when compared to the designs of some other companies and to the ubiquitous hackey, it provides protection against some of those very small risks that have already been identified in this sport, such as those I mention above.

If we’ve identified the risks already, and have a system that can eliminate or reduce those risks, why not employ it? It’s even the same price as a hackey. If you don’t like the aesthetics or how it feels in your hand then don’t order one – it’s not as if you’d be taking your life in your hands or anything. Hackies are perfectly safe.

I am not going to disagree with GG, since she does this for a living! However, I didnt get the hook knife option since I think they would put it in the webbing over the RHS of the chest? and I prefer it on my leg strap so I just got one off the shelf and slid it on there. Then again - probably wise to have two, since when you need it you don't want to dropit due to shaky hands and be stuck!! :PB|

They do a very nice quilted back if you are into your comfort and have the $$$...B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I definitely second the motion of doing a few pulls on the ground if you get the FF Pud. Going from a right leg pouch to BOC was a little awkward the first couple times before it became automatic. But my first pulls on the FF Pud were much more difficult because of the different directions needed for extraction. The reflex muscle memory will take over after a while. My 150 main and a new W-10 are tight together and make the Pud's tuck very secure.

Try PMing gjhdiver . He is a wings rep and very familiar with both the spandex and cordura pouch. He'll be able to tell you the pros and cons there.

I just recently order and got my new Wings Rig and love it. I ordered from Gareth Holder, and he was so great about the measurements and answered all my questions. He is the bomb:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Try PMing gjhdiver . He is a wings rep and very familiar with both the spandex and cordura pouch. He'll be able to tell you the pros and cons there.

I just recently order and got my new Wings Rig and love it. I ordered from Gareth Holder, and he was so great about the measurements and answered all my questions. He is the bomb:)

You're too kind, although you are correct.

The main difference between spandex and cordura BOC's are the obvious. Spandex is elastic and less durable, whilst cordura is noxt expandable and very durable. If you do a lot of jumps and sit on the plane floor a lot, or jump in sandy condtions, or land on your butt more often than not, I would consider the cordura. It does add slightly more bulk to the bottom of the rig. For all other purposes, spandex is fine.

The other reason that you might choose cordura is that it can obviously be color matched to your rig exactly, whilst spandex may not be available in all the colors that you might need to effect that perfect match.

Lastly, the one caveat I have with cordura is that you have to know how to packa pilotchute correctly. A sloppy pack job may result in a hard or impossible pull. When I had cordura BOC's , I used to tell packers to leave the pilot chute unpacked for that reason, after I had a few very hard pulls. if you know how to do a proper roll pack, it isn't a problem.

I have the cordura pouch and the freefly pud on both my rigs. I fly a camera suit with very big wings and a Birdman S3 and really like the pud handle.

I also reserve the right to use my ass to slide land on when it's 1500 feet and 100 degrees and no wind. I've never had a hard pull on my systems. I am notorious for my reluctance to pack.

The articulated new rigs are simply astoundingly comfortable. I'll be replacing my current rigs with the new articulated EXT's.

You'll be happy with your Wings, the customer service is excellent.

Does it make sense to have the freefly handle and a spandex pouch, or do you need to get a crodura BOC to really take advantage of the handle?

Doesn't matter which material that your BOC is constructed with. The pud handle fixes the same on both types. It's basicallt the same as the pullout systems, and chors to the container in much the same way.