stlouis_jumper

I'mm Backkkk! Skyding - better than any drug

Short but sweet history. 11 years ago I started jumping - I made 25+ jumps in the matter of a summer. Than someone (non-jumper) introduced me to clubs - X - and ultimately cocaine. Coke became my best fried for at least the next 6 years and alcohol continued on for the next 5. I can't tell you how stupid I was during those years. I never once got into trouble with the law, but all the same I was living a lie and spending stupid amounts of money. For what???? About a year ago I starting trying to kick alcohol - my wife was really getting on my ass. I wasn't able to; I finally came to my senses and made a deal with her and myself. It was agreed that if I got sober I could take up skydiving once again. After 30 days of sobriety - I once again experienced the ultimate thrill. Now that I'm getting back into the sport - I realize how stupid I was. My God, whereas the coke high only lasted a few minutes before wanting another bump and the alchohol just made me stupid; it''s been over 7 hours since I touched down from my 2nd return jump and I'm still feeling the (high). Now that's what I'm talking about.

I guess my point is Skydiving truely is the ultimate high and the best drug around! ;)

Amen to feeling a high better than any drug. Congrats. For me it was food keeping me out of the sport. See my string below. I've got two questions. With that many skydives, what did you have to do to remain current? And...what's the ettiquitte regarding a recovering alcoholic's first time doing something? Do you bring a case of O'douls or Red Bull or something?

Congrats on beating the addictions.

As to the firsts, non-drinkers are allowed to buy sodas and those who wish "upgrade". I don't drink, but I did bring a case for my "A." Most everyone who knows me understand where I am at.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Thanks,

O'douls is defiently my current drink of choice. At Bowling Green - MO. I've already met a few diehard skydivers who have battled the same problem and have greeted me with open arms. About the reentry - 1 DZ was going to make me do a AFF level 1 again. The next one I stuck with had me do the ground course and then jump w/one instructor. After passsing all the basic moves - stabillity, practice ripcord pulls, L/R 180's - and good tracking while staying at all times. I was passed to continue on solo. I'm still wearing a radio just in case I get into trouble. Like I mentioned my 2nd jump back I was solo. Once I got in the air - my solid arch took over and all was well. The problem is now - I'm trying to focus on school; I'm sitting in class but my thoughts keep drifting to the skys above. B| Take care,

Ha Ha - funny you should mention her. Now that I've pleased her by quiting drinking she's moved on to new things to bitch at. B|

Oh well, at least w/my new found sobriety she no longer has that power hanging over my head. Take this weekend for instance. Friday she started in on me - Sat. morning was worse; she went her way I packed up my Son and headed out to the DZ for a skydive. No question about it - I found a much better way to deal with stress. Just the thought of it gets my motor a purring. ;)

Thanks for your interest,

Mark

I don't believe in the idea of staying away from drinkers just because I'm recovering. I made a consious decision to quite and it's up to me to stay that way. The only thing that would get me pissed if someone was blowing smoke in my face. ;-) That being said I have no qualms with buying a case when the occasion calls for it.
While the rest of the group is drinking, I'll think about the idea of waking up the next morning w/out a hang over and that is way cool!

Take care,

Congrats on making the best decision you will ever make (getting clean) I know how hard that is and the sport really helps. Some chose fitness, some chose other sports to burn away the urge but what I like about skydiving is how it gets you so focused on your body, your mind and your environment. After the life I was leading 231 days ago being focused is a nice change of pace.

Have fun, play safe!

Ahhh no worries - he's probably a diehard old hippy that still has occasional LSD aftermath trips.

I suppose I could answer his ? though:

starte w/MJ then alcohol dabbled in acid (both sugar cubes and blots on paper) then several years of occasional crystal meth. When I started making good money and entered the club scene I found Ecstasy and finally the downfall was Coke. Of course alchol and years of daily MJ smoking. Heck at my old job I was stoned every night throughout the entire-night. I couldn't even go to a park or a festival with the kids toteing on the pipe.

A person really begins to think that being under the influence is reality. That's a shame!

:S

Mark

Good luck and please stay on track.

On November 3, 2002, my younger brother died of a heroin overdose (while he was IN a rehabilitation facility). It was the darkest moment of my family's existence.

Please stay clean and sober. You family loves you and wants you here to watch your new life thrive! Oh yeah, and to watch your accomplishments skydiving!

:)

Always be kinder than you feel.

Thanks,

O'douls is defiently my current drink of choice. At Bowling Green - MO. I've already met a few diehard skydivers who have battled the same problem and have greeted me with open arms. About the reentry - 1 DZ was going to make me do a AFF level 1 again. The next one I stuck with had me do the ground course and then jump w/one instructor. After passsing all the basic moves - stabillity, practice ripcord pulls, L/R 180's - and good tracking while staying at all times. I was passed to continue on solo. I'm still wearing a radio just in case I get into trouble. Like I mentioned my 2nd jump back I was solo. Once I got in the air - my solid arch took over and all was well. The problem is now - I'm trying to focus on school; I'm sitting in class but my thoughts keep drifting to the skys above. B| Take care,

Congrats on the new found sobriety. I survived the 60's and 70's-nuff said. Be careful, O'Douls has trace amounts of alcohol. Through sobriety I obtained my coach, IAD-I, and I shoot vids. Never would have happened with out Bill as my friend.
SkyDive Hard,
Deegs
It is possible to get all A's in school and still flunk life~Percy Walker

Thanks my Man!

Oh yah - most folks in the program talks bad about O'Douls, but for me it's working and saving me a lot of money. Sat. 5 jumps!!!!

It's only getting better!!!!

Skydive hard!
I was an instructor at FFE in Mt Vernon, also Quantum Leap-was friends with our fellow brothers that went in. Have you had a chance to jump the sweet Beech at Bowling Green? I have it rough here in AZ as I'm 20 minutes from Eloy. Be safe my friend, and enjoy!
Tim
It is possible to get all A's in school and still flunk life~Percy Walker

Oh yah,

the Sweet Beech is my perfered ride. QL was my originally DZ. I do miss the peeps, however I'm quite comfortable and growing really fond w/the FAM at BG.

You be safe as well and keep enjoying life to its fullest.

p.s. I've got my first round robin (Sweet Beech) coming up in Oct. 8 jumps at 8 different airports. Oh how exciting that's going to be.