LuckyMcSwervy

Another Newbie Saying Hi!!!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Karen and I’ve been lurking about a month.

I did a tandem jump on July 4, 2008 at Cross Keys with Sebastien. It was freakin’ amazing!!! I must’ve watched the video (shot by the video dude Matt) about 1,000 times already (plus everyone wanting to see it). They were both really professional, funny and I felt totally comfortable with the entire process – from the quick instruction session – to that long wait to altitude – to that first feeling of the rushing air on my face and body – there’s nothing else like it! After my boss watched the video he said you didn’t look nervous, you looked like you were going for groceries! My only response was I’ve wanted to do this for soooo long, and to finally have it in the palm of my hand, I was happy!

I loved it so much that I’m going this Saturday to sign up for the AFF course because I can’t get the wonderful feeling and memory of that day out of my mind! Talk about liberating! Wow!!!

It was something I’ve always wanted to do but never made the time for. Then I got married to someone who didn’t think it was a responsible thing to do when someone else was depending on me being around, then a few years later we were getting a divorce and I certainly didn’t want him to get everything (haha) if someone happened to me so it had to wait, and then next thing you know I was turning 40 soon and I said I would get this done by the middle of July before I left my 30s!!

It was the most amazing experience of my life!! B|

I’ve been reading a lot on the site trying to soak in everything I possibly can. I’m pretty shy so I am a little worried about going to the drop zone alone for the instruction. When I was there on the 4th it seemed like I was the only one there alone, while most people had friends and family there hanging out. I’ve tried to get my friends to come with me and give it a shot but they’ve all said no. I even tried calling some of my guy friends “pussy”, using the testosterone macho angle, but no dice. LOL! I hate to look like a “loner” but I guess I’ll meet some people soon enough!

Anyway, thanks to eveyone who posts here because you’ve already taught me a lot. This community really seems to stick together, and there’s nothing more important than safety and solidarity among like minds!

Cheers!!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

Do not worry. You will meet friends quickly doing the AFF. After a while the experienced jumpers will accept you (it takes a while) to get into the click but once you do you are part of it. I too went by myself in the 80s and felt alone at first .. but with AFF you have the same thing in common with the other students. Skydivers are not rude (in my opinion) but does take a litle time to be fully accepted into the group. Once you are "in" they are normally wonderful people Stick with it
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Hey Karen, welcome. I know how u feel. i have just finished my AFF course. Its so much fun doing the course. Very scary for me yet very satisfying when u pass a jump. the stage 1 jump was scary as for me. I did my first couple of fun jumps a few days ago and screamed like a school girl all the way down. I am so hooked and cant wait until sat to surf the skies on my own and not have to worry about the pressure of passing the aff jump.

i put my stage 8 jump on the net if u are interested.
good luck with the course.
here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xZhLk3jQA

send me a msg if u have any questions about the course i will be glad to help out.
i was on my own as well so dont feel bad.
You know what its like a few of my mates all agreed to do the course but when it came down to it i was the only one to go through with it.

Hi Karen!!

I'm pretty sure you'll do fine with AFF. We have amazing instrurtors at CK! Hopefully I'll see you at the DZ as soon as I get back from my deployment. (7 more weeks to go!!)

See ya and blue skies!

Luis
Everything in excess is bad... except skydiving and sex!

Hi Karen!!

I'm pretty sure you'll do fine with AFF. We have amazing instrurtors at CK! Hopefully I'll see you at the DZ as soon as I get back from my deployment. (7 more weeks to go!!)

See ya and blue skies!

Luis

Hi Luis!

I'm kinda getting the hang of the DZ. People are really nice! I was set for AFF1 this morning @ 8am, but when 11am rolled around I checked an aviation weather website, saw that it wasn't looking good so I asked Sean to reschedule me for tomorrow morning.

Then I went to the gear store and grabbed the 'essentials' (see my goofy pics here and on my MySpace) so I'm good for tomorrow.

I hope the next 7 weeks goes safely (and FAST!) for you. Then when you come home, get some more good videos on your MySpace. I love them - especially the balloon jump!!!

Take care & blue skies back at you -
Karen

Then good luck tomorrow! It seems that when you're on student status there's always bad weather days, high winds, or something else that prevents you from jumping. At least that was my experience :(

The ballon jump was the best! I did it the day before leaving! We had a blast, I'm definatelly doing another one!

Everything in excess is bad... except skydiving and sex!

Hey LuckyMcSwervy! Love the user id!! Welcome to my world of excitement! Had flown small planes for a short time to experience the joy of flying.. and was satisfied with that experience...but after skydiving I now know why birds sing! Nothing more liberating! falling/flying from 13K WOW! All prev posts are true, the skydiving community is opened armed to newbies (just like me!! /and turnin' 40 on 9/11!! ) Enjoy your AFF !! Blue skies!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I've actually never taken anyone along with me to the drop zone. For the most part, it's because none of my friends will even consider jumping. I'm still working on a couple of them, but I was talking with a few others who just graduated AFF and I hear the same sort of thing ... "I can't get any of my friends to join me in this amazing adventure".

With all of that in mind, you'll make friends quick. It doesn't take long for the skydiving community to open up to you, as soon as they see you're not going to make a couple of jumps and never come back.

I'm not sure if it is like that everywhere, but it seems quite common at my drop zone according to the instructors.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

Hey LuckyMcSwervy! Love the user id!! Welcome to my world of excitement! Had flown small planes for a short time to experience the joy of flying.. and was satisfied with that experience...but after skydiving I now know why birds sing! Nothing more liberating! falling/flying from 13K WOW! All prev posts are true, the skydiving community is opened armed to newbies (just like me!! /and turnin' 40 on 9/11!! ) Enjoy your AFF !! Blue skies!

Hey, thanks! I grew up at the airport with my Dad who used to fly small a small aircraft, always thought it was cool to be there. :)
I hope you have a wonderful 40th birthday! I just turned 40 in July, so I know the "excitement" (LOL) surrounding that milestone!!

With all of that in mind, you'll make friends quick. It doesn't take long for the skydiving community to open up to you, as soon as they see you're not going to make a couple of jumps and never come back.

Tony, I think you're right. I think some people are starting to warm up and be really, really nice and very helpful. Granted, I'm not the most outgoing chick on the block, but I guess that's nothing a few beers after the beer light won't fix! :D

Granted, I'm not the most outgoing chick on the block, but I guess that's nothing a few beers after the beer light won't fix! :D

Oh you can be as shy as you wish, but in a few months it will be such a vague memory :)
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs