YeeLing

Skydiving or AFF advice needed

Hey folks!

I've only done a tandem jump two weeks ago and never in my life would think of doing it every other weekend! Needless to say, I was very wrong. Everytime I look up into the sky, my heart gets drawned to it - like falling in love with the sky and all I could think of is "I want to get up there". I found myself reading up on it and wanting to know more about it. (Obsessed perhaps?)

I absolutely agree with dreaming1300 in his previous post. I couldn't (and still can't) stop thinking about skydiving and was slightly evangelical about it too when people asked how it was. So I have this brilliant idea of taking it up as a sport (surprise, surprise). However my excitement was short lived. I was bombarded with some strong comments and questions. My mom even asked me NICELY not to do it. [:/]

Nevertheless I think I'm back on my feet again and spirit back up. I read the articles in dropzone on interviews with skydivers! How inspiring! Anyway, the reasons why I posted today are:
1. to tell everyone I think I'm in love with skydiving :-) and it seems like I'm not the only one who feels and describe it this way (*phew* glad I'm not going crazy)

2. ask for advice from people who
a) will be starting AFF soon/doing AFF
i) why have you done it?
ii) any objections from family/friends?
iii) how was your experience? (both good and bad)
b) AFF instructors or experienced skydivers of various disciplines -
i) what's the most common mistake
ii) what sort of experiences (both good and bad) have you had with AFF students
iii) how will a student learn to control the canopy? I can understand the freefalling bit of the course where the instructors help deploy the canopy but as far as I can gather, most injuries happen during landing. Will radio signals be sufficient to aid the student in this?

Reading the incidents on the database make my heart and hands go slightly limp. But I would still like to learn and understand more about winds, speeds, controls and what one can do when things go wrong. This is just so I can feel if it's within my understanding capabilities.

Ideally, I wish there would be someone I can just meet up with and speak to about his/her experiences and some 'guidance' I suppose. Meeting someone experienced in the sport provides some form of superficial reassurance - not sure why. Unfortunately this is often difficult and I do not wish to tread on personal areas of people I barely know.

Pardon me if my post seems to focus on worries and accidents but I really am just weighing out the risks of AFF to be able to decide. Please advice. Thanks a bunch!

Btw, I think skydiving is by far the coolest sport I've seen. ;)

Welcome to the forums! :)

A student learns to control his/her canopy in what we call ground school. Yes, you will be on a radio while you are a student, but you also need to understand the full concept or canopy control in case something happens to the radio transmission. It's not too hard though, I'm sure you'll get it.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey, it's dreaming 13000 (btw, I am a hot chic ;)) haha.

The same thing you are going through is exactly what I went through. I just did a tandem for fun....but I got hooked. I used the 2 weeks after my tandem to research the sport extensively, starting with the accident reports but everything from the physics of the sport (terminal velocity etc) to the mentality around the sport.

http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2007SIM/section4.htm

read the manual, understand the concepts in theory, KNOW your emergency procedures, hang out at the DZ, watch students gear up and land,get their training manual.

I am a single mom so I knew I had to be able to justify participating in this sport before I even told one person....Basically when someone wants to say something negative I remind them of two things::

*death is certain, and I fully believe that when one's time has come it has come, whether sitting on your couch watching the boob tube or living life doing something you love.

*you have but one life to live...make it count.

plus I can reassure them that I am not taking this lightly :)
i can send you a link to my aff 1 video :D it's funny. that is another thing i did, search aff on youtube, you can watch malfunctions, aff 1-7, freeflying, formation flying, crw and more!

ok, done typing my story, good luck and blue skies

jess

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

my best advice is: don't start!

because if you do, you get this lifetime addiction... go spend your money with something else, like more HBO channels

but, since you're already here, I guess it's too late ;)

Welcome

Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

Hey, it's dreaming 13000 (btw, I am a hot chic ;)) haha.

Ooops I'm terribly sorry about that [:/]

http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2007SIM/section4.htm

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

I've been living away from home for over 12 years now and I don't see my family very often. When I do, I don't stay too long. They'll see skydiving as testing or rather pushing my luck. So I can understand it in a way and accidents do happen, whether or not it's my time to go - but it is one situation where I don't want to put them in. This is one big factor holding me back.

i can send you a link to my aff 1 video :D it's funny.

awesome! I'd love to watch your aff1 vid!

... search aff on youtube, you can watch malfunctions, aff 1-7, freeflying, formation flying, crw and more!

oh yes I did the youtube search too. I saw a student spinning up in the air uncontrollably. *urgh* and get a rough idea what they mean by a spinning main parachute.

Thanks Jess! Good luck on your aff 3&4 ! You're one tough cookie!

you don't know how far ahead I was thinking this through. I accounted the possibility that it would eventually cause me to lose interest in my main job. I think that's just me being silly.

because if you do, you get this lifetime addiction...

If I have to choose to buy a mac or take up an aff course, I would still go for the mac :P - I think it's still not too late to turn back? Life is tough indeed.

but, since you're already here, I guess it's too late ;)

still at an early stage :)

Welcome

sweet - thank you!

I just recently finished my AFF jumps I have both AFF 1 and AFF 2 posted on you tube.

My first jump from 14,000 ft we had to pull early at 7,500 ft, we were too far from the dropzone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXdKM_oLK44

My second jump from 14,000 ft we were right on and I got to pull at 5,500 ft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrBZfcp_fI

The video was blended into one so I had to break it up.

I decided to do the AFF class because I knew I would be addicted the second I started. And since my first two jumps made on May 10, 2008 I have done passed my AFF and am now up to 13 jumps, working my way towards my 'A' license.

I was lucky enough after passing level 4 to be in Las Vegas and get in the wind tunnel. I think this made me so comfortable that I passed level 5, 6 and 7 easily. I would suggest you actually try a wind tunnel while working on your AFF, my instructors said it was amazing the transition I made from where I was on level 4 to where I was on level 5.

As to objections, my mom hates it. But as she told me after I got my motorcycle license,"I learned a long time ago you are going to do what you want so I just have to let it go." However, She will not even talk to me on the weekends I am skydiving. She will wait until I call her Monday to let her know I survived the weekend. I just sort of chuckle at it. :ph34r: My neice whom is ten wants to do it now. I think I am her idol, she watched my video like ten times. See I am now the bad influence, riding motorcycles and jumping out of planes. lol.

The one advice I can give you is listen to your instructors and ask a ton of questions. The more you know the better you are. And I am lucky to be around a bunch of wonderful skydivers who are fun, and very interested in helping me learn as much as I can.

I also will probably tape my 25 jump!!!

Good luck, be safe!!!!!!!!

Blue Skies

Started Skydiving AFF course May 10, 2008
Passed AFF Level 7 Saturday June 21, 2008
Achieved 'A' License Saturday July 26, 2008
Achieved 'B' License Sunday September 29, 2008

you don't know how far ahead I was thinking this through. I accounted the possibility that it would eventually cause me to lose interest in my main job. I think that's just me being silly.

not as silly as you might think ;)

because if you do, you get this lifetime addiction...

If I have to choose to buy a mac or take up an aff course, I would still go for the mac :P - I think it's still not too late to turn back? Life is tough indeed.

i wouldn't choose the mac :$
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

As a recent AFF student (fall '06-spring '07) I can tell you my personal experiance from training at several dz's for my "A" in MI was excellent. In fact I'm glad I had the chance to learn from many different instructors/coaches at 3 dz's, as I was able to see different teaching styles, trainning programs etc.

send me a PM if you have any specific questions

I've done two AFFs so far and I'm addicted too. I'm overdue for #3, but it's finances and my fiance holding me back :(>:(. I did my first jump because my friend took me for my birthday and afterwards we decided to progress through the whole AFF sequence and get our A licenses. He surprised me with the jump, and if he had asked me what I wanted to do ahead of time, I would have said no to skydiving. Thank god it was a surprise!

Both jumps were awesome experiences. The first one blew my mind and was very surreal, but everything went smoothly (with a reminder to do my practice pulls) and I stood up on landing. I was much more clearheaded on the 2nd jump, but my radio only worked if my head was in a certain position. I heard my instructor most of the way through the landing sequence, but lost him at the very end (very important for the flare). I looked down and saw I was getting very close to the ground when luckily I heard him tell me to look at the horizon. The was the last thing I heard him say, but it enabled me to realize how high I still was. I flared on my own and had another stand up landing. If I crash on #3 I'm going to blame you for jinxing me. :ph34r:

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Ideally, I wish there would be someone I can just meet up with and speak to about his/her experiences and some 'guidance' I suppose. Meeting someone experienced in the sport provides some form of superficial reassurance - not sure why. Unfortunately this is often difficult and I do not wish to tread on personal areas of people I barely know.

the best way to learn about jumping is from jumpers in person. go to the DZ and hang out and ask lots of questions. in my short time in the sport i have found no shortage of jumpers willing to share info and teach me things to help me become a better and safer skydiver. and if there's is anything jumpers love as much as jumping it's talking about jumping. don't worry about barely knowing people, just get out to the DZ, listen, ask and learn, and you'll have lots of new friends in no time.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

the best way to learn about jumping is from jumpers in person. go to the DZ and hang out and ask lots of questions. in my short time in the sport i have found no shortage of jumpers willing to share info and teach me things to help me become a better and safer skydiver. and if there's is anything jumpers love as much as jumping it's talking about jumping. don't worry about barely knowing people, just get out to the DZ, listen, ask and learn, and you'll have lots of new friends in no time.

awesome advice!

great advice!!

I did not jump the last few days because of weather, but boy did I learn alot. I even sat and talked to the pilot for over an hour and asked him tons of questions about take off, headings, wind, spotting, etc. So take time and talk to the pilot too, they can give you a ton of information.
Started Skydiving AFF course May 10, 2008
Passed AFF Level 7 Saturday June 21, 2008
Achieved 'A' License Saturday July 26, 2008
Achieved 'B' License Sunday September 29, 2008

Thank you all sooo much for the advice! I really appreciate it. I was dreaming about skydiving the night before and this morning my brain was planning my AFF course when I woke up.

As to hanging out at a local DZ - it is a great idea but (this probably sounds very silly) how do I just hang out there? So I go there and approach people? Isn't it a bit weird?

As to hanging out at a local DZ - it is a great idea but (this probably sounds very silly) how do I just hang out there? So I go there and approach people? Isn't it a bit weird?

Nope, not at all. Not at a DZ.
Owned by Remi #?

Thank you all sooo much for the advice! I really appreciate it. I was dreaming about skydiving the night before and this morning my brain was planning my AFF course when I woke up.

Go for it! no room for pride when learning this sport....just like there isn't room for error! I took my daughter to the dz with me and we just hang out, talking to fun jumpers packing their canopies, talking to the dzo, watching people gear up then land. You are already dreaming about it, now you just need to fill in the blanks with the finer (correct hopefully) details.

keep dreaming!
blue skies
jess

As Richard Bach wrote in Illusions

"You are never given a dream without the power to make it come true. You may, however, have to work for it."

Learning to skydive is a course in self improvement in many ways. It teaches humility, self awareness, self responsibility, respect for yourself and others, in addition to learning to push air and fly a canopy. The adrenaline will draw you in. What you choose to do with it afterward is up to you.

No way, we had an older lady hang out for 2 MONTHS before she did her FJC.

We're a nice group of people, just call up your local DZO and meet the crew :)

As Richard Bach wrote in Illusions

"You are never given a dream without the power to make it come true. You may, however, have to work for it."

Good quote. I will find one of these weekends to visit a DZ around here. Of course I will keep you all posted with details and questions.

Thank you all so much for encouraging. Very nice lot of people indeed.