gonecountry

What to spend money on?

Ok, I know it's been discussed, but I'm too damned lazy to search:). I'm starting AFF soon and am wondering what I should buy first. Suit, goggles, alti? Some input to an exicited newbie please.
--------------------------------------------------

In order for evil to flourish, all a good man has to do is nothing.

In order - logbook, goggles, gloves, altimeter, helmet, jumpsuit, rig.

Logbook, goggles and gloves you could buy before you jump; they're all pretty cheap. I also highly recommend buying either Parachuting the Skydivers Handbook (Poynter/Turoff) or Jump! Skydiving made fun and easy (Buchanan) now; reading and rereading either one will give you a good head start on your student training.

Get an altimeter after you've done a few jumps and are sure you're going to keep at it. Get a helmet once you're done with AFF. Order a jumpsuit at any point after you're sure you're going to keep jumping. Start thinking about a rig about the same time, but don't buy until you know for sure what size and type canopies you want (which you won't know for sure until you've had a chance to jump a few different ones).

Thanks for the advice so far. A little more info: I am doing tandem progession and did my 2 tandems today. Lots of fun. I bought a logbook today.

In order - logbook, goggles, gloves, altimeter, helmet, jumpsuit, rig.

I agree except for gloves, I think they're optional unless it's cold.

the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Thanks for the good poop. I'm looking forward to getting into this sport. I have learned one thing already: It costs $$$$$! I've already started selling my SCUBA gear to pay for things. Any water divers out there need gear? I've got lots.
Jeff

I've already started selling my SCUBA gear to pay for things.

Lol! That's what I did. As an instructor for the last 10 years and diving for about 17 years imagine how much gear I had. I sold enough gear to pay for my entire training plus some. Err, if I would of used it for just training. I had to buy some more go fast parts for my jet ski! ;)

Put your stuff on Ebay. People seem to love dive gear there. Some of my stuff sold for more than I paid for it new. Seems odd but there are bidding junkies out there that can't stand to be beat. Good luck and welcom to the sport. I know I can't wait to get back in the air.

What makes the biggest impact in your skydiving ability?

Your jumpsuit!

Get a jumpsuit, goggles and an alti before a rig, since you can generally borrow or rent gear where ever you go.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."