Sabre2th

Sabre or Sabre2?

I wanted to know the major differences in flight characteristics between the two. I have jumped a Sabre2, but never a first gen. I have an oppurtunity to aquire a sabre, and wanted to know if it is worth waiting and spending the extra on the Sabre2.
Thanks for any input!!

P.s. This would be my first canopy.
Nick

Nick.

Those who dance, are cosidered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Depends on what you're looking for.

A sabre2 has a more solid flare, snappier turns, lighter riser pressure (front) and IMHO is all around a more fun canopy to fly.

A Sabre1 isn't a bad canopy, they work and they're still fun to fly.

IMHO the Sabre2 is the best novice-intermediate canopy for fresh A license jumpers. Its something that at the right wingloading can be very docile and can be flow very conservatly; however, it can be flow very agressively as well. At the right wingloading and in the right hands, it can perform very very well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Two bits of advice:

Firstly, speak to instructors who know your abilities about teh size and model of canopy that you are thinking about buying.

Secondly there are a lot of other suitable first canopies out there - demo whatever you can get your hands on in an appropriate size for you and decide for yourself! :)

Good luck! (And don't have too much fun deciding what to buy! :P)

Vicki

Sabre 2 all the way. Read up on the info already given, check PDs website and search the forums. I do not like Sabre 1 openings. All my experiences were not good at all. Sabre 2's out perform Sabre 1 in every way.

Clint D-24352

PS- I am on my 2nd Sabre 2 and I love it. I had a 150 and I am flying a 135 right now.

Thanks!

I was just asking to get some oppinions from ppl who have flown both. Of course the Manuf. will say its good at this and that. But the link you gave me was good info anyway!

AggieDave: Thanks for the short comparison!

Nick.

Those who dance, are cosidered insane by those who can't hear the music.

never flew a Sabre2, but if you have the choice between 1 and 2, get the 2... The 1 will certainly be cheaper, but if you can afford it, there is a mors than 10 years difference in technology...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Sabre 2 all the way. Read up on the info already given, check PDs website and search the forums. I do not like Sabre 1 openings. All my experiences were not good at all. Sabre 2's out perform Sabre 1 in every way.

Clint D-24352

PS- I am on my 2nd Sabre 2 and I love it. I had a 150 and I am flying a 135 right now.

I am on my first canopy a Sabre2 190. I jumped Original sabres as a student. I never demo-ed(sp?) any other kind of canopy before placing the order for the Sabre2. I have no complaints, however if I had the chance to do it again, I would have demo-ed the Safire2, Pilot and the Spectre as well.

You have that chance, why not take advantage of it?

Kris.

The first that I bought for myself was a saber 2 and I am liking it quite a bit..

One thing that I thought that I should point out is, if your going to try to buy a used Saber 2 you have to watch for them to go on sale every day. In the sizes that most people buy them as first canopys they sell really fast.

I wont comment on the difference between a saber and saber2 because I have never flown a 1.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

i,m new at this but flew a sabre before buying a slightly used sabre 2. the sabre is nice and opens fine if you split the nose and push it way up in the cacoon when you pack it. the sabre 2 is fast. i drop altitude fast in turns and it comes in faster....but it flares better too. definatelt a more responsive canopy.i'm about 185 lbs jumping a 190. hope that helps.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

The Sabre and the Sabre 2 are very different canopies, only the names are in common. Another canopy in the same class as the Sabre 2 is the Aerodyne Pilot. I recall that several people who have jumped both a Sabre2 and a Pilot spoke strongly in favor of the Pilot.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Oh yeah, I know I said rather Sabre2 than Sabre, and that it certainly not a reasonnable size for you yet, but I have a freshly relined Sabre (1) 150 which I do not use anymore...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM