mjasantos

All Vigil AADs to Be Replaced

From USPA Web Site:

http://www.uspa.org/news/index.htm

All Vigil AADs to Be Replaced (04/07/04)

A service bulletin issued March 31 by Advanced Aerospace Designs in Brussels calls for the mandatory replacement of all Vigil automatic activation devices marketed by the company. Kim Griffin, Sales Manager for Vigil USA in DeLand, Florida, announced that her company expects the first replacement units April 19 and should receive more at a rate of 25 per week. Current Vigil units are not grounded, but owners in dry packing environments are advised to take precautions to prevent the AAD from firing on the ground as a result of static electricity. View the service bulletin [here http://www.uspa.org/news/notices/VigilServiceBulletin.pdf].

Jo Smolders, Advanced Aerospace Designs marketing manager, explains the history of the development and testing of the Vigil and the events leading to the service bulletin. View the explanation [here http://www.uspa.org/news/notices/VIGILSTATUSApril_04.pdf].

Griffin requests Vigil owners to return units for replacement to Vigil USA, c/o Return Vigil, 1645 Lexington Ave., DeLand, FL 32724. E-mail [here mailto:[email protected]] Vigil USA.

=====================================

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

Their Website (http://www.vigil.aero) doesn't show anything.
Shouldn't it as well? Hmmm...:S
No doubt about the Bulletin, though!

Ironically, it still starts out saying "Guardian angels need no maintenance..."

I really hope they get this worked out fast. I'd love to see some competition in this market.

I understand the shot at "leading edge technology" but I have to disagree here, all the ground misfires were caused by something that really can't happen in freefall (if you get struck by lightning I think your AAD is the last of your concerns) I'm impressed with the responce. I like the company standing behind its product and presenting data to explain the problem(s) and solution(s)
actually all? (I might be wrong)
but I havn't heard anything about the screen problem with the CypresII certanly nothing about a free replacemnt with a "fixed" unit

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

A buddy of mine, bounces with a cypres, the cypres did fire, but the reserver had only line stretch (not enough time). I asked questions at airtec (I personally speculate his was strugling with his reserve pilot) if they could comment, but they replied they can't because of legal issues?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

So would I, I know very little about that incident.

Specifically, I don't know how old the unit was, and if it was serviced under the manufacturers instructions. It could have been what... 10 years old? With older electronics there are countless reasons why it could malfunction.

We do know though, that whatever happened to that unit is not widespread. It's not like there's a whole batch of "bad" cypres's out there.

The vigil is different, though. We know that all the ones that have failed are brand new. We know that the ones with static issues have been maintained according to manufacturers instructions. We know that a simple and very common act (dragging accross the ground) is causing the problem. We also know that the manufacturer is fixing the problem.

I'm not terribly concerned about the Vigil, though. It's new. Personally, I expect new hardware to fail and require fixes. That's why I'm still unwilling to buy one. I'm pleased to see them being fixed properly, but I still won't buy one because they're still new, and I still expect them to have more problems. That just comes with the high-tech territory.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The “Silver Sleeve” was developed in 1997 as a field retrofit means to provide an additional layer of protection to guard against strong electro-magnetic (radio) signals, and was distributed to CYPRES owners and riggers at no charge. During this same time period, a series of internal upgrades were implemented to provide even more protection against “RF pollution”.

After two years of testing and experience, it was determined that CYPRES units with the internal upgrade no longer required the “silver sleeve”, and in April 1999 it was announced that new production units no longer required the sleeve.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

I understand the shot at "leading edge technology" but I have to disagree here, all the ground misfires were caused by something that really can't happen in freefall (if you get struck by lightning I think your AAD is the last of your concerns) I'm impressed with the responce. I like the company standing behind its product and presenting data to explain the problem(s) and solution(s)
actually all? (I might be wrong)
but I havn't heard anything about the screen problem with the CypresII certanly nothing about a free replacemnt with a "fixed" unit

So explain the Mis-fires in the air?

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

only twoI know of I was told(which means nothing) that the jumper in one case turned the unit on while climbing in the plane (user error) and in the second the jumper dumped low .. but I could be WRONG

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

only twoI know of I was told(which means nothing) that the jumper in one case turned the unit on while climbing in the plane (user error) and in the second the jumper dumped low .. but I could be WRONG

There was a girl in Deland, her unit fired at 3000+ ft under canopy. She didnt turn her unit on in the plane, it was turned on, on the ground. Her unit was sent in for testing by a different company to assure accuracy. The unit was found to be in %100 working order, and the unit also didnt register a fire. This I.M.O mean that the cutter fired from Static, just like the cutters on the ground. Vigil claiming that the units are safe to jump and can only fire from static caused by packing in my opinion is a very bad thing, How come in all the bulletins that I have read none even mention the fire at 3000ft. I dont own a Vigil, but if I did it would be sitting on my desk at home and not in my rig, Until it was replaced.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

About the cypress misfire at Perris in 2002. NO shit there I was. My friend Nick and a few others were doing a 4 way out of the Van and at break off there was something flapping, we all thought bridal or such. But I looked around and he was under a reserve at like 3200. He sent the unit in to the US guys. They sent it to Germany.
The Germans recreated the problem. The unit was detecting an eroor but not powering down before shut off. When the unit turned off it fired. They replaced it with a used unit.
But they were VERY angry with me for posting it all over the boards.
Chris

Shark's response is perfect, nothing is 100% failsafe. One's got to wonder just how accurate of a report a business would publish when they get to "police" their own incidents,,,,,,,, and if you take an electronic instrument and hurl it @ the ground as hard as you can (and that'd be slower than a person in freefall), just how much information could be retrieved from it?????????
Something to think about huh?
R

Shark no worries. And yes a cypress or any AAD is very much like an airbag. It is a tol as the last line of defense and might save your life. But there is the slim chance that it might mess up and kill you.

If you remember Nick was under us a few seconds before breakoff. I mean 4-5 seconds later and we could have been over him when the reserve opened and some of us would likely not be here.

Yet I still ahve a cypress in my rig and will jump one at every opportunity.
Chris