Malev

Jumping soon... (Scotland)

Hi all,

Thought it would be appropriate to post a brief "Hello" message in here. I've just signed myself up for my first AFF jump at St Andrews DZ, in 3 weeks time, and currently going through a range of emotions (anticipation, excitement, what the hell have I signed myself up for :P).

I'm currently reading as much background information as I can on the whole sport, and just hoping time won't pass too slowly!

Just watch out for the 'big beers' they drink there....
Maybe see ya around.:)Welcome to the forums.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to the adrenaline zone...almost....... far better than the snooze zone... isnt there some golfing thing there at St Andrews;)

Casing other people out of an airplane is far more interesting than chasing some little white ball around some 7200 yards.....

Amazon......

A not so wee scottish lass... 300 years removed...(said with best fake scottish brouge I can muster)

Maybe see ya around.

isnt there some golfing thing there at St Andrews

Thanks for the welcome! As long as I get out of the plane on the first jump I hope I should be ok, and if I bottle it they can always drop me off at the golf course for the more sedate sport. :P

I could have done my first jump this weekend, but I'm moving flats [:/].
Hopefully the weather will hold out - knowing my luck, it'll probably start snowing in a couple of weeks!

Where do people normally jump? Looking at the DZ websites I reckon Strathallan is probably closer to myself (I'm in Glasgow) once I get past student level, but they don't do AFF training hence the jumping at St Andrews.

There are 3 DZs in Scotland, stick with StAndys till you find your feet, each has its attractions, I started at Errol, but have jumped at Strath, and StAndy's.
I'll be more regular there this year.

By the way the 'other ' golf place. Gleneagles is virtually next door to Strath, and Carnoustie is not far from Errol, so if golf and jumping is your bag, come to Scotland!
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Malev drop me a email m8, im just outside Glasgow and will be going St Andrews way a few weekends if ya need a ride, hope to see ya there, and your doing the right thing B|

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Hey! Your doing the right thing in learning all you can while you wait for the big day. Good luck with your Aff. Let us know how it went

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Its a great community I've stumbled upon here! I'll let you know how it goes after the first jump (10th May).

Malev drop me a email m8

Have just sent you one! B|

I'm scheduled for travel to Glascow then Edinburgh (visiting my family, who are Scots) in mid-June. PM with your info and I'll look you up. Perhaps by then you'll be ready for solo and we can do a sit together. Head down if you're bold.

D. James Nahikian (nee Rennie & West)
CHICAGO

PM with your info and I'll look you up

PMs seem to be disabled on your account - let me know if these are set up, or let me know your e-mail address and I'll drop you a message!

I hope you enjoy the jump and maybe I'll see you in September for some chilly jumping. I'll be going to school for the fall term in Sterling and hopefully the weather will let me jump a time or two.

Sterling's a nice place, although I've only been through it a couple of times. Notable mainly for its castle. ;) I imagine the jumping will be chilly (and I have to admit, weather could be a problem), but there are some things you just can't control! :S

write again as to how things went for you

I promised to write how it went, so I shall. Unfortunately, it was weathered out for the weekend (too windy for student jumps) so I didn't get up. First lesson in skydiving is that you spend a lot of time hanging about. ;)

But, I got my basic training done, so I'll head back over to the DZ next weekend and hopefully we'll have better weather.

We're looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. Rule #2 is: your "1st ANYTHING" will be 1 case of beer donated to your DZ;) (WFFC Rantoul cost me 3 cases)
The funny thing about a first jump is that you finally believe & trust your JumpMaster when you experience that "hey, he was telling the truth!"B|.
Wishing you "Blue Skies",
-Grant
p.s. what type of jump is your 1st one going to be?
(Static Line/ Tandem/ AFF?)

We're looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

So am I... :P I just hope it calms down a bit, although if the weather is a problem I'll just have to try and collar someone to start teaching me how to pack.

Rule #2 is: your "1st ANYTHING" will be 1 case of beer donated to your DZ

I will have to remember to budget for that, this sport is draining my wallet far too quickly. :S

what type of jump is your 1st one going to be? (Static Line/ Tandem/ AFF?)

AFF1. I would like to get for my A-license as soon as (safely and feasibly) possible, so decided to go down that route. :)

:)I promise, things get better after A-lic *& gear*;)
THings can be EXTRA [:/]pricey at first.
I did S/L for my jumps: 1 thru 6 then took a week off of work and took out a small loan and just jumped AFF until out of "student status", bought a used rig and Main canopy & worked to an A-lic over the summer.
My BIG week of AFF was the reason it took the rest of the summer.
I started in Sept. of 1991 and my BIGGEST mistake was quiting for 5 years. It was like stating over:(.
But, now I make enough money to do more than 2 jumps per month and my gear is paid for.
MY brother-in-law is from Glasgow. I got this great jump suit that put a smile on ALL the girls faces.
What can I say, ...Chicks dig it!:ph34r:(CLICK PIC Below)
-Grant
p.s. I was told my jump suit give girls that "warm & fuzzy feeling".:P

My Pictures.jpg

I promise, things get better after A-lic *& gear*

Yea, I'm really looking forward (money excepted ;)) to getting my own rig, jumpsuit etc. Although thats a wee while off yet.

My BIG week of AFF was the reason it took the rest of the summer.

I was wondering whether it was worthwhile doing something along those lines, but with the weather we have here you could end up with a week in which it would be almost impossible to jump every day. Plus my job makes it hard to take extended time off.

I do like the idea of going to somewhere like Empuriabrava to do AFF, it might be a good option for others?

MY brother-in-law is from Glasgow. I got this great jump suit that put a smile on ALL the girls faces. What can I say, ...Chicks dig it!

Nice, its not a bad place is Glasgow. Although we could do with a closer DZ. ;)

I liek the jumpsuit - certainly must make you stand out from the crowd! Plus if the chicks dig it then it can't be a bad thing. ;)

" was wondering whether it was worthwhile doing something along those lines, but with the weather we have here you could end up with a week in which it would be almost impossible to jump every day."

All the Scottish DZs are weekend only operations. They occasionaly run 'progression weeks' where they are open midweek for coaching, and student training but they are few and far between.
I did have a look for you at St Andrews on Sat, but you were busy, and so was I doing paperwork....maybe next time?
Cya
Dave
--------------------