headoverheels

Used Cpress price

Can you believe what this used Cypres went for on eBay? It doesn't even seem to have had it's 8 year inspection. Mine is about the same vintage. I was just going to use it until it expires, but, if I could get even 2/3 as much, I'd sell it and buy a new one now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667874956&category=310&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

no cannot believe: way too expensive! >:(

last year in december, i bought my "new" cypres at my rigger, more than 3 1/2 years years younger than the one at eBay, last battery change was 08/03, i paid for item itself € 550.00. this i consider as a good price. B|

maybe i'm wrong, but things like this, principally i 'd prefer to buy at my rigger, my dz, simply: where i know my people, trust in them.

just my opinion. :)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Can you believe what this used Cypres went for on eBay? It doesn't even seem to have had it's 8 year inspection. Mine is about the same vintage. I was just going to use it until it expires, but, if I could get even 2/3 as much, I'd sell it and buy a new one now.

I had a conversation about this the other day. If you figure the yearly cost of a cypress to be about $185 from new purchase if you add together all batteries and 4 and 8 year checks -->you can get your money's worth out of a unit with a year left on it for any price less then the noted $185<-- The trick on that is if you dont have to get a battery (~$85) and a 4/8 year check (~$250 shipped to/from).... Plus you can if you choose to get a credit for $60 towards a new C2 if you return it before DOM +3Months.

The unit on E-bay sold for $650 delivered and since it looks to need a 8 year and will need one more new battery to get it to the end of life in 1/07 (DOM +12 Years + 3 Months) it has 2.75 years left on it with a total cost to the buyer of $980. That breaks down to $356/year which is well above the break even mark.

Hell same cypress with the 8 year check breaks out to $264.45/year and is still over the yearly from new cost.... Basically the bidding got crazy and the cypress should have been worth about $250-$300 becuse it needs the 8 year check. If it has the 8 year its value with the battery need for the last year should have been in the $450 range.

If there is a cypress that has say a DOM of 1/94 it will tap out (12Y + 3 Mo) in 2 years. If it has a current battery and has the 8 year done you should be able too sell it for $350 since it does have value (again the $185/year if maintained as written from new) to the new owner. And that $350 is better then the cost of new if your strapped for cash. Plus you may get the $60 credit to a new on and youll have the time to save..

I have never understood the ranting of people that claim the cypress is worth nuthin if it only has a year or even 2 years left.... If you crunch the numbers you will find value..... Not in this case on E-bay but their are units that are out there that fall into the above described category.....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I just paid $100 for a DOM94, needed 8 yr and batts..but still gives me 2 years of cypres jumping:D

So, you overpaid basically. :(If you do the chart, you will see that a 10yo cypres not needing any updates is worth 168$. You paid 100$, now add 175 for check, and 75$ for batteries...

voila, 418$. You overpaid by 250$.

I know it sounded like a good deal, but in reality, it was not. I got a cypres with 4 years left on it for 400$, add the 250 for the 4yr check & batteries for a total of 650$ for 4 years of cypres. (roughly 160$/yr). Do the math:)

Seriously people. Crunch the ##s before buying, it could save you some cash!

Angela.

Exactly, thanks for throwing out that link.. which says what I said in the first place that this cypress is actually worth 166.00 ... A bad deal @ 400. who buys this crap?

There are so many people out there willing to help people make good smart buys, it's a shame that more people don't ask for advice before making mistakes like this.

It's not really price mistakes that get me as much as newbies buying hot canopies .. Because they got a good deal on one.

I was talking to my friend this weekend about a girl that he knows that bought a rig

Main: loaded @ 1.6
reserve : Higher (looks good in the container though)
With a skill level of 50 jumps

Or another guy that I just met who bought a Vengeance with 50 @ 1.5jumps @ but decided to trade it for another eliptical @1.3 (because he heard that it was more docile and that he got a better deal on)

when is this shit going to stop?

I think that there should be an A license primer that explains gear facts to people before they get their license that includes Safety and price.

Hope my rant wasn't too off topic

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

So, you overpaid basically. :(If you do the chart, you will see that a 10yo cypres not needing any updates is worth 168$.

The chart is obviously wrong close to end of life, as the author stated. $168 is only $84 per year, which is cheap. $418 is a bit much to pay, but $250 to $300 total cost for 2 years wouldn't be bad. Obviously pays to shop around and to understand all the costs of ownership, as well as the condition of what one is buying. Some people can not lay out the cash for a new one, even if it could be cheaper over the long run.

There is another thing to consider here. Cypres bases their 4 year update requirements on manufacturing date. Let's say you buy one that sat around for two years and was then sent in for the 4 year. That Cypres will need another 4 year in only two years. That's crazy, but that's the way it is.

Ed