Nutz

Any Speculation How This Happened?

This is on the topskin on the left side of the first cell to the left of the center. My rigger says it looks like a cut rather than a rip. I noticed it when I was packing after my fourth jump of the day. I had no problems on opening or with the flight and it flaired the best it did all day. (Maybe that was me, I don't know. :)

That’s not a cut. It's a tear. Looks to me as if the material got caught in the grommet of the D-bag. That is the tail I assume. If so then that section of the canopy is most likely where you rolled the tail when pro packing. when the canopy is then S-folded, and placed in the D-bag, that material would most likely be right up against the grommet. The damage shown in the picture is a common characteristic not clearing the grommet

I phsyco pack and the only part of the tail showing, usually, is the center cell. I guess it could have been hanging out the side of the roll and caught the grommet but we couldn't find any sharp edges there.
I don't remember walking close by anything that could have snagged it on my way back to the hanger, once again, that could be what happened.
I usually let it fall in front of me when I land and then drag it back downwind of me while I am rolling up the lines, that makes it easier to gather up. I guess there could have been something on the ground that I snagged it on. We will probably never know for sure.
Thanks for your opinions. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Don't drag the canopy to you when you "roll" up your lines, walk to your canopy so you don't drag it across whatever scorpions, landmines and other debris that might be in your landing area. Roll the bag over and check your grommet is clear before putting the bag in the container.

whatever scorpions, landmines and other debris that might be in your landing area

B| you call this a landing area? B|
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

MMMMMM, speculation, my favorite.......:)
I agree with BCH here, seems more likely that it got snagged walking into the hangar than blown on opening....especially bc of it's location...Many more weaker points on your canopy that would give out first...
=========Shaun ==========

In my experience repairing parachutes, I would say that at least 85% of the damage found on parachutes that needs to be repaired is located in or about the exact area as the damage shown in the photo. I find it hard to believe that snaging canopys on something while walking or while gathering up the canopy has caused all the damage to same area on most everyones canopy that I have repaired over the past 12 years. I really think it comes back to bad packing.
Besides, if while walking, you did catch it on some thing and made a hole the size of the one shown in the photo, I think you would feel it as it happened. After all, these canopys are made of nylon. Not tissue paper

You know, that is kind of what I'm thinking as well. Surely I would have noticed if I snagged something. (You may have and stop calling me Shirley.) The only other possibility is that someone stepped on it in the packing area with something sharp underneath it, not very likely because the carpet gets cleaned everyday. I wonder if I would have noticed it flying differently though with a hole in it like that. ??

By the way what is that grommet good for anyway?
Parachute de France tandem bag don't have that top grommet it is two slings sewn to the bag.
Is this something from the old days?
/Henrik

You are trolling this question in other treads. The way you describe is something from the old days. It does not work with a collapsible PC, which must be attached to the canopy. Now you know what the grommet is good for.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals